First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I wanted to get my whole truck PPF'd to avoid pinstripes off road, but a few quotes in and that seems like a pipe dream. At around $4,500 it seems waiting for the paint to chip and getting it repainted might be a better option.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had done their own PPF warp, and if so, how is it compared to vinyl? I was looking on XPEL's website and a 3' x 24' roll would run you about $660. I figured that the DIY route might be well worth it in this case.
Sponsored

Johnv1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Check eBay there are pre cut kits. I did mine. Some areas came out pretty good others it was obvious it was done by myself but honestly I doubt most will ever notice and I don’t really care lol. I don’t have to worry about rock chips as much now and less area to polish when it comes time for my spring time details.

If you do it take your time, think it through and make sure you have the right supplies. Some sort of paint prep, squeegees and slip solution.

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
When I first bought my Ranger back in May of '19 I looked at the expel to get added. Like you it was nearly 5k for the entire truck. Hell for that I could repaint the entire truck white to hide the pin stripes off road. So with that I just decided to go the plasti dip path. I had years of applying dip to my Mustangs in one form or another. I mainly off road during Hunting season and I just need to protect the clear coat. After the season I just peal it off. I spend roughly $250 to get four coats of dip. Just finished my second season with extensive brush contact with no scratches. Like plasti dip expel will fade over time and become hazy. This happened on my 2010 Stang where I had it applied to the nose. It worked well to prevent rock dings but just too expensive for my taste.

20191111_200751.jpg

20191111_205918.jpg

20200208_154019.jpg

IMG_20140502_174426.jpg
Sponsored