First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Well folks, 2021 has brought a lot of changes for my family and one of them is eliminating the need for a truck. I'm not much of a "truck guy" to begin with and now that I have nothing to tow or haul and nowhere convenient to off-road I decided to avail myself of CarMax's generous offer for my Ranger.

I wanted to say thanks for all of the advice, insight, and colorful commentary. I will miss it here as I already know the WRX forums make Tacoma World look like Margaritaville.

PXL_20211230_221619686~2.jpg

Peace and love ✌
Sponsored

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX Special Edition
Occupation
Facilities Director
Well folks, 2021 has brought a lot of changes for my family and one of them is eliminating the need for a truck. I'm not much of a "truck guy" to begin with and now that I have nothing to tow or haul and nowhere convenient to off-road I decided to avail myself of CarMax's generous offer for my Ranger.

I wanted to say thanks for all of the advice, insight, and colorful commentary. I will miss it here as I already know the WRX forums make Tacoma World look like Margaritaville.

Peace and love ✌
Enjoy the new ride. I had a 2019 WRX and loved the car. Fair warning, they can be as big a money pit as the Ranger!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
While I'm always sad to see another Ranger owner leave you gotta do what's best for you. With the way used prices are right now I cant blame you for selling. I hope the WRX treats you well and stop back once in a while and let us know. Good luck and Happy New Year!!

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

Peace and love ✌
Very nice!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
NASIOC was pretty rough a decade and a half ago. You should be alright though. Hope the new ride serves you well.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Stringburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
Sharp car & good luck. I've tried & tried to like those cars but the turbo lag followed by an extremely narrow powerband, a ridiculously stiff clutch on every one I've ever driven, & the premium fuel requirement turned me off. I was waiting for the next gen WRX to drop, & when I saw how hideous they were I decided to get a Ranger.

I do think with the larger engine in the new WRX will be much more enjoyable to drive. They are just awful to look at.

Please tell me you got a manual? I despise automatic transmissions with a passion. I want my vehicle in the gear I want it in when I want it in that gear. I'll have to get a Bronco or next gen Tacoma if they continue to offer a manual so I can get back to 3 pedals the way God intended vehicles to be. :)

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I'm partial to the bug eye, or the one jut before that, awesome. These last few yrs,
they are just a sedan.

OP
OP
RecoilOperated

RecoilOperated

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F-150 XLT, 2022 Subaru Outback
Occupation
ICU Nurse
Sharp car & good luck. I've tried & tried to like those cars but the turbo lag followed by an extremely narrow powerband, a ridiculously stiff clutch on every one I've ever driven, & the premium fuel requirement turned me off. I was waiting for the next gen WRX to drop, & when I saw how hideous they were I decided to get a Ranger.

I do think with the larger engine in the new WRX will be much more enjoyable to drive. They are just awful to look at.

Please tell me you got a manual? I despise automatic transmissions with a passion. I want my vehicle in the gear I want it in when I want it in that gear. I'll have to get a Bronco or next gen Tacoma if they continue to offer a manual so I can get back to 3 pedals the way God intended vehicles to be. :)
I personally don't think the WRX has ever been a looker; even though I'm nostalgic for a clean blob-eye wagon with gold BBS wheels, it's still an ugly car ?. The power band is actually decent with the twin scroll turbo but it definitely needs a pro tune to dial out the rev hang and the awful throttle position sensing. It is indeed a 6-speed, the CVT they offer isn't even worth consideration especially in comparison to the DCTs offered on competitor vehicles.

Hope you got a decent deal. The current gen WRXs are great all around cars.
Just got it at MSRP, I had to call around quite a bit to find one that didn't have an ADM now that they've ended production of this generation.

I'm partial to the bug eye, or the one jut before that, awesome. These last few yrs,
they are just a sedan.
I sure do wish they still offered the hatchback.

Stringburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Iconic Silver Ford Ranger XLT Tremor
It is indeed a 6-speed, the CVT they offer isn't even worth consideration especially in comparison to the DCTs offered on competitor vehicles.
Good man. :like:

I hope you enjoy it. I've test driven them multiple times, just never pulled the trigger. I'm coming from a Civic SI. I wish Subaru would incorporate some of the safety tech like emergency braking and active cruise control on their manual transmission vehicles like Honda and other manufacturers, but they won't. ?

My girlfriend has a 2016 manual crosstrek. The engine is weak as a cat power-wise but it has been stone reliable for 135 thousand miles. They need to make a Crosstrek XT with the WRX engine.

bk23103

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor - Cactus Grey
Occupation
Emergency Services
Ah, the WRX. I traded my '18 Silica WRX for my '19 Sport. I loved my Subie and had a blast at Buttonwillow in it. That car was fast as hell and stayed planted as I whipped it into the corners (at the track and elsewhere) at triple digit speeds... but my wife hated it, and I missed the utility of having a truck. I'd say it was my quarter life crisis car.

Have fun with it! They sure do hold your value so you'll have no trouble in the future if your needs change.
Sponsored