Ham radio RF interference

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
UPDATE - The problem is fixed. See my post below.

I have an Icom ID-5100 installed in my 2019 Ranger XLT. It has worked flawlessly for years. Recently when I transmit on 2m the truck sends several warnings, including that hill climb, traction control, anti-sway, etc are all disabled and that I need to get it repaired. Turning the truck off and letting it sit for 5 minutes resets everything and all is OK.

Details are:
SWR is 1.5 or less on all bands.
RF chokes are on the power cord, antenna lead, remote head cable and remote speaker cable.
Power the radio from an external battery does not remove the RFI.
There is no RFI when the radio transmits into a dummy load.
The antenna is on a custom mount at the rear of the truck. Another antenna (mag mount on roof) was tried with the same results - RFI on 2m.
There is no RFI on low power (5 watts); there is with medium and high (50 watts) power.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Have you tried another radio in the TS steps you’ve already done?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm going to suspect you either have a problem with your radio or a possible issue with the RF chokes that you have on your power cables. I'm assuming when you say RF chokes that you're talking about filters. Be aware that many vehicle manufacturers have stated from the beginning to be careful of routing your CB radios HAM radios and GMRS radios so you have as little interference as possible.

SilverRanger

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Two thoughts come to mind reading your post.

1. The radio is (now) generating out of band harmonics that weren't present when it was new affecting truck systems.

or

2. Truck ground attachment points are starting to experience corrosion / oxidation that weren't present when it was new. The RF is exciting these resulting in spurious signals through the truck electrical connections.

Let us know what you find...

Ken - WO1N

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I had added a Raxiom Speedform Series Throttle Controller to the accelerator that modifies its response. Found it on the Ranger Facebook page. While it worked well, and improved the accelerator's response time, it also was a great antenna on 2 meters. Removed it and all is now well.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Thanks to all who offered suggestions. I had added a device to the accelerator that modifies its response. Found it on the Ranger Facebook page. While it worked well, and improved the accelerator's response time, it also was a great antenna on 2 meters. Removed it and all is now well.
Assuming you're talking about a pedal commander or something else I want to know what product this is. Simply curious is all

OP
OP
JonB

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Assuming you're talking about a pedal commander or something else I want to know what product this is. Simply curious is all
It is a Raxiom Speedform Series Throttle Controller. The device worked well. It was only a problem when I transmitted on 2 meters. It has a small circuit board in a plastic enclosure. I'm going to try shielding it and the connecting cables and see if that corrects the problem. For now, it's been removed.
Sponsored