Ham Radio Install Part 1

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
I've begun the install process for my vhf/uhf ham radio. First up was the gooseneck. Next will be the antenna. Most likely mounted on the front portion of the bed near the cab. Still undecided on a location for the main radio body. I've seen someone mount under dash...very clean.

Radio: ICOM 880H
Mount: LM-300-1000EXP from Lido Radio Products (with microphone holder)
Antenna: Diamond NR770

This is the same mount I used in my 2004 Ranger. Works even better in the 2019. Doesn't interfere with passenger space whatsoever. It is tall, I would prefer it to be 2" shorter. Alas, I am still quite pleased.

Lido Ranger - Copy.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
canigetadollar?

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
Mount it under the passenger seat.

KØBG.COM
Wait...Alan...THE Alan K0BG commented on MY post? Dude, you are a total hero. I have read your tech write ups on mobile radio for dozens if not hundreds of hours since I was still in high school (young ham lol).

Totally unrelated to this post but...Your site gave me the confidence to do HF mobile. I started with a 746 PRO and a mag mount CB whip for 10 meters. It worked....kinda. Had a qso with France from Florida on that setup!

I eventually bought a 706MkIIG, used an insulator, long cb whip, AH4, grounded ALL of the things, and had a bang up home made scorpion mount welded to the bed of my truck (in the very center!) 17 meter mobile became a regular thing for me.

Anyway....I need to work on my antenna mounting solution before I post again. I think you would have disappointed with my original plan...

Sorry for the fangirling, it was really cool to get a comment from you.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Wait...Alan...THE Alan K0BG commented on MY post? Dude, you are a total hero. I have read your tech write ups on mobile radio for dozens if not hundreds of hours since I was still in high school (young ham lol).
And that celebrity owns a Ford Ranger - even more pleased with owning this truck now ?

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
By the way, was there ever a Part 2?
Sponsored