BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I have to use the Maglula loader. for the 45 and even with 9mm. That 8,9 and 10 is a biatch for me.
The TLR-6 has a laser too and not bad at $135 on Amazon..

I was thinking about going with the 13 round mag and the X-Grip from GunMagwharehouse.com but it's another $50 and I have to slow down.:(
I need to get one of those Maglula loaders. I've been using the one that Glock supplies - SUCKS!

I love the feeling of the 13 round mags with X-grip. Probably the best purchase I made for it.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I need to get one of those Maglula loaders. I've been using the one that Glock supplies - SUCKS!

I love the feeling of the 13 round mags with X-grip. Probably the best purchase I made for it.
Sheet! Now I must order that set up .

The Glock loader sucks with the 45, 9mm and .380.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
@AzScorpion Dave, I didn't order the rifle kit but I did start my build. I just ordered this https://midstatefirearms.com/sale-Ar15-Lower-Build-Kit-Mil-Spec-6-Position-Stock-LPK-lbksale.htm
$108 shipped to the house.

I see a lot of Wylde barrels on that site. The SIL said to not get a Wylde, but I didn't question him as to why not. I will have to follow up on his reasons after reading the article. He also prefers a mid length vs. carbine so I have to question that one too. I will follow advice, but not for a "just because" reasoning. Give me Pro's and Con's and real world reasoning and then let me decide.
Great start Doug! :like:

Mid length is preferred in a 16" barrel as the carbine length is shorter and allows more gas to enter the gas tube which will increase recoil and can cause additional wear. Now I have several of both mid length and carbine and don't really notice much if any difference in recoil. As far as wear again I haven't noticed or seen anything after several thousand rounds. I would go mid length BUT if you find a good deal on a carbine one I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I don't know a lot about the Wylde but from everything I've read it's preferred if it's not overpriced. You will get better accuracy and performance with the Wylde. A 223 Wylde is more accurate than a 5.56 when shooting a 223 cartridge. 223 is also cheaper than 5.56 so you'll save money on ammo and get better performance out of a 223 Wylde.

If I didn't already have 3 other build kits sitting here I would buy the one I linked. I've been going back and forth about getting it anyways because it's a really good price and you can add upgrades to it very reasonable.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The Streamlight TLR-6 doesn't stick out but is only 100 lumens but does very well indoors.
The G30 is said to have a soft recoil on the Glock forum and scotch00 review.
One thing about lights especially if you're using them indoors is you don't want one to bright. If it's to bright it will actually wash out the area/person you're shinning it on and bounce back and blind you. The one I just bought is 1200 lumens but I wanted it more for outside and lighting up a larger area and longer distance. When I use it inside it just bounces off the wall and blinds you. Not good if you're trying to see an intruder in your house. It will actually give them a better advantage because now they can see you perfect and you're blinded. :sunglasses:

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

I have 3 different ones and they are a finger/thumb saver! I have 35 round mags for my CZ Scorpion and your thumb will be numb by the 12th round. lol That loader is different than the regular 9mm one and then there's the AR mag loader. Amazon usually has them along with eBay.

BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
I have 3 different ones and they are a finger/thumb saver! I have 35 round mags for my CZ Scorpion and your thumb will be numb by the 12th round. lol That loader is different than the regular 9mm one and then there's the AR mag loader. Amazon usually has them along with eBay.
Yah, I bookmarked their site when I saw someone (probably you...lol) talking about them a while back...just never ordered any. Time to remedy that.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Received my SB3 Tactical brace along with 10 more 30 round Pmags. I have a Shockwave Blade on one of my AR pistols and it digs into you because it's hard plastic. I have one of these SB3's on another AR pistol and it's so much more stable and comfortable. Found it for $93.99 and the Pmags were only $8.49/each. Stock up on those 30 rounders while they're still cheap. After Sandy Hook I remember seeing them as high as $30.00/each. :surprised:

IMG_2428.jpg

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
........If I didn't already have 3 other build kits sitting here I would buy the one I linked. I've been going back and forth about getting it anyways because it's a really good price and you can add upgrades to it very reasonable.
I just built a 9mm AR Carbine using the Angstadt Arms matched upper/lower set. Such a fun gun to shoot!
Next up is a .50 Beowulf. Probably get started on that in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just built a 9mm AR Carbine using the Angstadt Arms matched upper/lower set. Such a fun gun to shoot!
Next up is a .50 Beowulf. Probably get started on that in a couple of weeks.
Sweet! I love my AR9's too. I have 3 in pistols 1-4" and 2-8" and also a 16" AR-9 rifle which I built last fall but haven't shot that one yet. I need to get a good scope but I can't seem to STOP buying other stuff. lol

You'll have to post some pictures of the .50 once you're done. ?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Great start Doug! :like:

Mid length is preferred in a 16" barrel as the carbine length is shorter and allows more gas to enter the gas tube which will increase recoil and can cause additional wear. Now I have several of both mid length and carbine and don't really notice much if any difference in recoil. As far as wear again I haven't noticed or seen anything after several thousand rounds. I would go mid length BUT if you find a good deal on a carbine one I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I don't know a lot about the Wylde but from everything I've read it's preferred if it's not overpriced. You will get better accuracy and performance with the Wylde. A 223 Wylde is more accurate than a 5.56 when shooting a 223 cartridge. 223 is also cheaper than 5.56 so you'll save money on ammo and get better performance out of a 223 Wylde.

If I didn't already have 3 other build kits sitting here I would buy the one I linked. I've been going back and forth about getting it anyways because it's a really good price and you can add upgrades to it very reasonable.
The kit in the link went up over night. That's why I didn't get it. I waited too long. But the lower kit was a great price even compared to the PSA stuff (kinda my benchmark right now). I am leaning towards a Wylde barrel (kit). Don't see a reason why not! I really like the Mid State site too. They seem to be reasonable on their stuff.

Will still go with the mid length for the recoil. I don't want the wife to not want to shoot it because of the recoil. I think I will do a 15-22 for her to get used to the AR platform. It will be hers once the prices decide to get back to "normal" (less than $400).

The AR 15 build is really exciting to actually get started. Can't wait for the lower to come in!! It's like when I first got into computers in the early 90's.....I didn't buy my first "off the shelf" computer until 2009. I built/upgraded all the ones I had. It was exciting to learn the ins/outs of the computer. The first thing I do when I get a new pistol is to take it apart when I get it home!! Now I get to actually build one!

Keep the links and advice coming!! I may not jump on every one of them, but it gives me the opportunity to do it.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
@AzScorpion Dave, I didn't order the rifle kit but I did start my build. I just ordered this https://midstatefirearms.com/sale-Ar15-Lower-Build-Kit-Mil-Spec-6-Position-Stock-LPK-lbksale.htm
$108 shipped to the house.

I see a lot of Wylde barrels on that site. The SIL said to not get a Wylde, but I didn't question him as to why not. I will have to follow up on his reasons after reading the article. He also prefers a mid length vs. carbine so I have to question that one too. I will follow advice, but not for a "just because" reasoning. Give me Pro's and Con's and real world reasoning and then let me decide.
To safely shoot both .223 and 5.56 from the same barrel, it should be chambered in .223 Wylde. Most factory .223 loads, the bullet is held in by friction. In most 5.56 loads (especially real military loads) the bullet is crimped. 5.56 primers are usually staked and are hotter for better battlefield reliability, and therefore, create higher chamber pressures. There maybe more minute details I've forgotten, but this is what I remember from from gunsmithing school at the Colorado School of Trades Oct 2012 - Dec 2013.

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Bthomas5456

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
They used to be called STI. I had a 5.0 eagle and several friends had the edge model. Currently i have an apeiro. They are awesome guns and most likely anyone that is putting out a 2011 is using their frames (triarc). Amazing guns and they have also recently upgraded their 2011 dbl stack magazines so you no longer have to tune them. As far as price goes....buy once cry once. Plus john wick used one so obviously its amazing.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Mags mags and more mags. I am done buying magazines (and guns) . I just hate wasting range time to reload them. Yep I love my kimber's.

20200617_151431.jpg

20200512_164109.jpg

20200619_135154.jpg

Last edited: