BDoc

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SCrew
Occupation
US Air Force, retired; now Civil Service (USAF)
Vehicle Showcase
What a great deal on this new Ruger PC 9mm 6.5" barrel pistol @ $829.99. I love the way you can take the barrel off without any tools,makes a great compact gun for hiking or camping. Classic Firearms is also including free the SB brace which sells for $159.99. No one else has this deal going except them. Only wish I had the extra money to buy it. :frown:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/rug...=20200401RugerPCCharger&utm_content=Secondary

Good thing they don't make in .45 or I'd be in more trouble :whew:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good thing they don't make in .45 or I'd be in more trouble :whew:
I'm fortunate I'm only into pistols and pretty much have what I want. Ok, maybe not the subcompact Sphinx 9mm,.:)

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe a silly question but do you keep your magazines loaded or load before range etc?
I've always wondered if keeping the mags loaded, the spring being compressed will weaken the spring faster over time.

Last edited:

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Maybe a silly question but do you keep your magazines loaded or load before range etc?
I'm wondering if keeping the mags loaded, the spring being compressed will weaken the spring faster over time.
This is not for the range, it’s my everyday Farm wear... daily, I release the magazine, eject one round, put the magazine back in, load a round, release magazine, replace ejected round in magazine, re insert magazine. If I am going to shoot target, I load as I go..some other magazines around the house, remain loaded and rotated every couple of months..
Regards
Doc

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've always wondered if keeping the mags loaded, the spring being compressed will weaken the spring faster over time.
Not a silly question at all and I've seen this asked many times over the years in gun forums. It's not a problem keeping them loaded. It actually will weaken the spring more when you're loading and unloading them (range use) rather than just leaving them loaded. On my Springfield Armory EMP 1911 I have 4 extra mags and they've all been loaded now for over 12 years. I do take it to the range every other time and run a couple mags through it but once I'm back home I reload it with SD rounds. I would think that some of the cheaper aftermarket mags may be a problem but any good factory mags and top aftermarket ones like Wilson Combat or Mac-Gar shouldn't.

Here's a good article I had saved from last year about this very subject.

Modern magazine springs are manufactured to maintain their function under stress. In other words, they’re meant to be fully compressed when the magazine is fully loaded. If you were to load a brand new magazine to it’s capacity and let it sit in that condition for years, it should be absolutely fine.

On the other hand, loading and unloading a magazine will degrade the spring’s usefulness over time. There is no real rule of thumb when it comes to this, so it’s always best to maintain good practices with your magazine springs just as you would your firearm.

A modern magazine should be able to handle tens of thousands of cycles, but with anything, your mileage may vary.
https://concealednation.org/2019/05...aken-if-kept-loaded-for-long-periods-of-time/

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Not a silly question at all and I've seen this asked many times over the years in gun forums. It's not a problem keeping them loaded. It actually will weaken the spring more when you're loading and unloading them (range use) rather than just leaving them loaded. On my Springfield Armory EMP 1911 I have 4 extra mags and they've all been loaded now for over 12 years. I do take it to the range every other time and run a couple mags through it but once I'm back home I reload it with SD rounds. I would think that some of the cheaper aftermarket mags may be a problem but any good factory mags and top aftermarket ones like Wilson Combat or Mac-Gar shouldn't.

https://concealednation.org/2019/05...aken-if-kept-loaded-for-long-periods-of-time/
Excellent article! ?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

I just re chamber every day due to the amount of dirt I get blown on me mowing multiple acres. I got eleven acres here, I do my neighbors 10 acres about 1-2 hours a day cutting the Florida sand...my mags are Wilson combat on the 4506 smith, 22lb recoil spring. 45 Super.

Regards

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I know there are a few of us that have the S&W Shield. Here's a mag conversion kit where you can add +2 rounds to either the 7 or 8 round mags and only adding 1/4" to the length. Price is a little steep (spare mags can be found cheaper) but a nice option if you don't carry spare mags (sometimes you can't) and would like 2 extra rounds. Very easy instal too,there YouTube videos on this.

https://magguts.com/product/smith-wesson-shield-9mm-2-magguts/

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to pick up a pocket carry pistol for my wife in a 380or 9mm. The Shield EZ 380 is too big for her to carry. She as I do prefers a pocket carry.
However, her problem is she's weak handed and not able to rack the slide on many pistols including my P365.
I watched a few videos looking for small pocket carry pistols with easier slide and the 380 LCPII was one. She doesn't have recoil fear so recoil isn't an issue.
Does anyone have any experience with the LCPII or any other 9mm or 380 pocket pistol with easier slide racking?

Reactions: Doc

CoastieN70

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariet
Occupation
Retired
I'd like to pick up a pocket carry pistol for my wife in a 380or 9mm. The Shield EZ 380 is too big for her to carry. She as I do prefers a pocket carry.
However, her problem is she's weak handed and not able to rack the slide on many pistols including my P365.
I watched a few videos looking for small pocket carry pistols with easier slide and the 380 LCPII was one. She doesn't have recoil fear so recoil isn't an issue.
Does anyone have any experience with the LCPII or any other 9mm or 380 pocket pistol with easier slide racking?
My wife carries an Older Taurus 605 with a bobbed hammer and porting. It is a formidable weapon in .357 mag abate a smidgen heavy but because she mostly purse carries weight isn't a big factor.

I personally think a S&W 442 with .38spl +p's on board is an outstanding choice for pocket or purse carry.

If one must fire from inside a jacket pocket or purse a pistol will almost certainly jamb, much, much less chance of a revolver doing the same...

SOHK_Alumni

First Name
Win
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2019 Ranger FX4, 2002 Vanden Plas, 1977 Eclat
Occupation
Glorified Mechanic
Both Taurus and Smith & Wesson have made 9mm 5 shot snubby revolvers.

More manageable than .357, generally superior ballistics than .38.

My bobbed hammer Taurus 905 is a great stash/carry but the fully enclosed or shrouded hammers available on the Smith make a good choice for pocket or purse carry.