Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
Show off. lol ?

That would bring a smile to my face every time a round drops knowing it's only pennies per round.
That’s not showing off......
98C41CE1-6D2E-472F-9088-128FB8CA01F3.jpeg

That’s showing off! ???

Dillon 550 and Dillon 1050 (automated) make life easier. Using mostly Hornady and Hodgdon components, so it’s all great stuff.

OP
OP
AzScorpion

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That’s not showing off......
98C41CE1-6D2E-472F-9088-128FB8CA01F3.jpeg

That’s showing off! ???

Dillon 550 and Dillon 1050 (automated) make life easier. Using mostly Hornady and Hodgdon components, so it’s all great stuff.
I'll take a bucket .223. ? The 1050 is a sweet machine!

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I use to have a nice reloading setup.

Honestly back then the only reason I got into it was to be able to load 220gr 300 Blackout rounds as at the time the caliber was still somewhat new and not cheap per round. You could literally build an entire reloading kit for the same price as a case of factory 300 BO.

Coupled with a JP SCS and a few other items, about as quiet as you can get without moving to bolt action.

DSC04942.jpg

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Show off. lol ?

That would bring a smile to my face every time a round drops knowing it's only pennies per round.
That's just an awesome setup to my mind.
How difficult is it to get to where you can run like that? Did you start with a manual press? What difficulties do you have getting supplies?
I ask because I am considering learning to reload, and have no clue where to start or how much $$ investment is needed to do things properly.
And I'm curious to know if you're doing this indoors or in a garage or something. As @AzScorpion mentioned, it's danged hot here in AZ (even now at the end of Sept), and setting up shop in the garage is unacceptable now.
Thanks for any insight you may have to share!

DocE3Gun

First Name
Dillen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Fx4
Occupation
self employed
How difficult is it to get to where you can run like that? Did you start with a manual press? What difficulties do you have getting supplies?
I ask because I am considering learning to reload, and have no clue where to start or how much $$ investment is needed to do things properly.
And I'm curious to know if you're doing this indoors or in a garage or something. As @AzScorpion mentioned, it's danged hot here in AZ (even now at the end of Sept), and setting up shop in the garage is unacceptable now.
I believe Dillon Precision is located in Arizona and has a showroom where you can check out various presses. For large quantity reloading, you cannot beat a progressive press. Precision oriented loading, single stage is king and the new Area419 Zero press is what I would buy.

As far as difficulty loading, it's not horribly difficult if you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. I would start with straight wall cased ammo to learn, then possibly expand once you've learned things pretty well.

Sourcing components right now is pretty hard, but so is sourcing reloading dies and presses in general. If you're considering it and not at all set up, I would lean towards picking up a press and parts as you go, and you're able to buy them at NON-panic buying prices. Nothing worse than finding out that the Dillon Super1050 press you bought for $4000 retailed for $1800ish and is worth $1700 once all the panic buying dies off. People have been paying $1500-1700 for a case of 5000 primers that I paid $170 shipped for only 8 months ago.

As for reloading location, I know people who have a small spot set aside in their house with a sturdy bench that is bolted to studs in the wall. Where I am located, I have a mostly finished basement with a relatively hidden room that I use for reloading. I would not have my press, powder, or primers in my garage here with the humidity. You may find that reloaders near you do not have that concern with a drier climate there. Humidity and static are your two enemies.

BaGMaN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
USAF Retired
I use to reload in the kitchen using a RCBS Rock Chucker. It's slow, but rock solid. Now I have a Dillon 550 setup in my shop. Supplies depends on what you're wanting to load and what options you have in your area. Powder and caps have major added cost if shipped. Buying those local is the way to go.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I believe Dillon Precision is located in Arizona and has a showroom where you can check out various presses. For large quantity reloading, you cannot beat a progressive press. Precision oriented loading, single stage is king and the new Area419 Zero press is what I would buy.

As far as difficulty loading, it's not horribly difficult if you are mechanically inclined and can follow directions. I would start with straight wall cased ammo to learn, then possibly expand once you've learned things pretty well.

Sourcing components right now is pretty hard, but so is sourcing reloading dies and presses in general. If you're considering it and not at all set up, I would lean towards picking up a press and parts as you go, and you're able to buy them at NON-panic buying prices. Nothing worse than finding out that the Dillon Super1050 press you bought for $4000 retailed for $1800ish and is worth $1700 once all the panic buying dies off. People have been paying $1500-1700 for a case of 5000 primers that I paid $170 shipped for only 8 months ago.

As for reloading location, I know people who have a small spot set aside in their house with a sturdy bench that is bolted to studs in the wall. Where I am located, I have a mostly finished basement with a relatively hidden room that I use for reloading. I would not have my press, powder, or primers in my garage here with the humidity. You may find that reloaders near you do not have that concern with a drier climate there. Humidity and static are your two enemies.
Good information to get me started on my research. Thanks for taking the time to elaborate!

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I just don't have a good area to set up a reloading bench here. No basements here and you only get a few good months before it's way to hot in the garage.
Sounds like a great place to store powder :crazy: