Frequent loud squeak under center of truck

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
My 2019 Ranger, with 34k miles has suddenly started making noise. My son rode along and said it’s coming from under the center of the truck. He also recorded the noise for me. It starts making the noise once I hit 25-30 mph. It drives and turns fine. I saw the thread on the drive shaft carrier bearing and wondered if this is the start of the same problem. Could use a second opinion, but plan to take it to the dealer next week.
Sponsored

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Center support bearing going bad.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 Ranger, with 34k miles has suddenly started making noise. My son rode along and said it’s coming from under the center of the truck. He also recorded the noise for me. It starts making the noise once I hit 25-30 mph. It drives and turns fine. I saw the thread on the drive shaft carrier bearing and wondered if this is the start of the same problem. Could use a second opinion, but plan to take it to the dealer next week.

Hi M,

I would thing this is the center bearing on the driveshaft is making this noise. Take it to the dealer for diagnostics. The driveshaft maker seems to be and continues to have poor center bearing issues.... Dana was once a solid manufacturer but has slipped in quality in my opinion.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Appreciate the confirmation everyone! I’ve never taken the extended warranty on any car I bought, but now I’m thinking it was a good idea on this one.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i have only had two real problems with the 5g ranger. 1. center support bearing 2. transmission shift issues.
if you get those sorted out early, it will likely be a good truck for years to come.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
If your dealer is as bad as mine, you are better off buying the Tom Woods one piece. My dealer wants to charge a $169 diagnostic fee if they can't find a problem.

Wiley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
I've got the same issue. Dealer can duplicate the noise but after checking the rear diff, brakes and wheel bearings are claiming they can't do anything else until a part fails.

After reading a few posts, it seems the driveshaft support bearing is the culprit/a known issue.

Is there a TSB or something floating around out there to provide to dealers that are not tracking this issue?

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
An update - called my service advisor about bringing it in the next week after my last post. He said to be sure it was making the noise when I bring it in because if the tech can’t hear it they can’t fix it. The weekend before I was to take it in it suddenly stopped making that noise. We think maybe a bit of grease hit it and have been patiently waiting for the noise to start up…that was 2 weeks ago. ?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
An update - called my service advisor about bringing it in the next week after my last post. He said to be sure it was making the noise when I bring it in because if the tech can’t hear it they can’t fix it. The weekend before I was to take it in it suddenly stopped making that noise. We think maybe a bit of grease hit it and have been patiently waiting for the noise to start up…that was 2 weeks ago. ?
Hi Majorv,

Check the driveshaft center bearing....

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
majorv

majorv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Majorv,

Check the driveshaft center bearing....

Best,
Phil
Based on the video I had posted earlier the consensus was the center bearing was the problem. Until the noise starts up again the dealer won’t do anything.

Old Red Replacement

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL 4x4
Occupation
Retired OTR Diver/Maintenance Mechanic
Outcome, part number, and if anyone knows diy procedure, only care about issue, not warranty coverage?

Reactions: Doc

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I'm relatively sure my center bearing has taken a shit as well... only it seems to have skipped past the squealing stage and went right to grinding.

I initially thought it was my rear brakes.. so I changed the pads a couple weeks ago. Rotors were fine, brand new pads, still grinding like a M.F.

The grinding gets worse during acceleration, goes away slightly coasting.. and the suspension moving UP makes it worse too.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
sad. sounds like what the advisor told you is if its not over obvious and unavoidable - we cannot fix it.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather