Forscan Functions - Control

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I know most on this forum that use Forscan, mainly use it to configure specific modules to your preference, Bambi-Mode Etc..
I have been digging into Forscan for use in troubleshooting, such as going into PCM Live Data and attempting to control modules, manually actuate.
But when I try to select the control function for any module the control screen is blank.

Example: you should be able to use Forscan and command (for testing) the idle speed up to let's say 1500 RPM and also command the EGR Commanded Position open (for testing)

Now I am running current version of Forscan, with Extended License and I have 2 adapters, OBD-Link EX and MX+, both current on firmware.
I also have a Autel 906TS scanner, I still have no bi-directional control, I have the same functions as Forscan except it will not let me configure the modules like Forscan (Ex: Bambi-Mode)

I have been mainly a GM owner and have never had any issues with hooking up the Autel and having Full Bi-Directional Control, turn on fuel pump, sound horn, turn on dash lights etc..

So, for the Ford Techs on this Forum, can you give me some insight on my querry

Has anyone been able to get this type of control to work on the Ranger while using Forscan, I am trying to determine if it is Forscan itself or is it locked by Ford to only be accessed through dealer level scan software. (IDS or FDRS)

I am also curious if the Ford VCM 2 would allow it along with Forscan
I have a feeling that what I want to be able to do requires (IDS or FDRS) but am hoping that all I need best case scenario would be the VCM 2 adapter.
Note: I do not have any current issues with the truck, this quest is for mere understanding on how much Forscan can do when it's connected to the Ranger
Sponsored

OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Got buried - bump.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I've used Forscan with the the vLinker FS USB adapter, but never for analysis. I recently purchased an Xtools D8 analyzer with bi-directional functions. I'll test tomorrow on my Ranger and report back my results. I know this doesn't answer your question directly, but if the D8 allows me bi-directional control we know it is either a problem with Forscan and your Autel.... or understanding how to operate forscan to accomplish bi-directional control. I'm comfortable making changes with Forscan, but I have never attempted diagnostic functions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
airline tech

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
Cool Thanks, I have been researching some and it appears all 3rd party have the same limitations, on what can be accessed.
Some have basic control - Reset KAM / ABS Bleed / Power Balance / Misfire Test
But not Full Control

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Reporting back - I ran through the automatic diagnostics and it dynamically checked 24 systems. Saw all kinds of lights on the dash as it ran through them. Came back clean except for the BMS which I knew would fail as the sensor is unplugged.

Tried to run the dynamic tests for devices such as windows and door locks and they were unsupported. Gonna be giving Xtools support a call requesting a whole boatload of function that appears on the screen but is unsupported when you get into the details. Or find out what I am doing incorrectly.

UPDATE:
I've been reviewing the sparse manual and playing with the D8. I have found 5 different Rangers listed, but none for the 2020. I found the 2019 and the 2022 MY, but not the 2020. I may have selected the incorrect Ranger. I did have it auto scan and it found the correct data, and that should have been enough, but I did not find the system settings area which allows bidirectional support. Will try again tomorrow.
Sponsored

Last edited: