First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
The tow hooks are different between the 2wd and 4wd models. If you have a 2wd and plan on swapping the skid plate from a 4wd, you'll need the 4wd tow hooks. The skid plate actually mounts to the tow hooks, not the bumper.
I have a Lariat FX4. Anyway 2WD or 4WD, did you notice any difference other than color between your new and old tow hooks? I was wondering if they were any heavier duty or just painted a different color.
Sponsored

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I have a Lariat FX4. Anyway 2WD or 4WD, did you notice any difference other than color between your new and old tow hooks? I was wondering if they were any heavier duty or just painted a different color.
2wd hooks dont have provision for mounting the skid plate, the 4wd hooks do. The Ford Performance tow hooks are the 4wd type

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Still think linex is way to go, however have other financial commitments...The factory black is very thin. I already had some professional grade rattle can products on hand so I figure Id save some cash and just coat in flat black for now before winter.
1. wet sand/scuff with 1000 grit.
2. wash with dawn.
3. compressor air dry.
4. prime with acid etch black primer.
5. started to top coat with a partial can of dupli-color universal flat blk but ran out. quick trip to Meijer and found a metallic black VERY close to J7/magnetic metallic. since my whole truck is that color I changed my plan a bit.
6.recoated the flat with the metallic.
7. top coat in U Pol clear [1k], about 4 light coats over about an hour after each flashed off. Ive used before and is about the best non catalyst clear I've used.

*shall see how they do after a winter of northern Illinois winter with all the damn salt we use...

See pix. Had everything in stock except the metallic $6.

20190915_101215.jpg

20190915_101143.jpg

20190915_101159.jpg

20190915_101128.jpg

20190915_101357.jpg

Last edited:

CMJT

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2017 Subaru Outback
I saved $5G buying a 4X2 so in the unlikely event I end up in a ditch, I'm hoping you 4X4 guys will pull me out either forward or backward via this WARN 29312 Receiver Shackle Bracket (Clevis Hitch). I had it powder coated along with the 2 front tow recovery rings for $100 including labor. This clevis hitch makes a very effective rear bumper that protects your rear end if you get a little careless backing up or some idiot runs into you from behind. It only sticks out about 3 inches so you are less likely to bash your shins on this versus a trailer hitch that sticks out a lot further.
clevis.jpeg
Stupid question but is the powder coating Lightning Blue or is it another blue? It looks like a really good match.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
Update: still holding up well, a few snowfalls & loads of salt IL likes to throw down.
Sponsored