Ford layoffs - June '23

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Was just reading the latest. Supposed to primarily affect engineers. Trying to wrap my head around that one. Wouldn't engineering be the last area you would make cuts?

Just seems really strange to me. Most companies are constantly struggling to find engineers to hire.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Reading between the lines I'd say they are engineers that serve no purpose to an EV company.
This is exactly right! Sadly, Ford it's tossing most of their eggs into one basket and IMHO taking a huge risk. :confused:

https://www.thestreet.com/technology/ford-has-bad-news-about-the-job-market?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

It plans to produce 2 million EV units per year by 2026, more than triple the expected 600,000 by the end of 2023. In total, Ford plans to spend $50 billion on electric vehicles between 2022 and 2026. It had previously planned to spend $30 billion in the five years ending in 2025.

"Delivering on that plan includes adjusting staffing to match focused priorities and ambitions, while raising quality and lowering costs," Reid said.

These job cuts are Ford's first for 2023 and the second round of layoffs in a year. Last August, Ford eliminated 3,000 salaried and contract jobs, mostly in North America and India, in a bid to pare $3 billion or more in costs from its business by 2026.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
If you haven’t noticed there is a slowdown on sales and dealers are building inventory again. The dealer I got my Ranger from now has 6 of them on the lot and they have been sitting there for weeks now. Interest rates along with inflation are putting folks in holding patterns. It will be a buyers market not long from now.

The staff getting cut are probably the non preforming group. For every 3 you hire you keep one and dump the rest.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you haven’t noticed there is a slowdown on sales and dealers are building inventory again. The dealer I got my Ranger from now has 6 of them on the lot and they have been sitting there for weeks now. Interest rates along with inflation are putting folks in holding patterns. It will be a buyers market not long from now.

The staff getting cut are probably the non preforming group. For every 3 you hire you keep one and dump the rest.
Good! I hope these dealers get stuck with these until Ford has to step up and highly discount them. Most of them thought they could still add ridiculous markups and now they're getting stuck with inventory. Just like the Tremor I was going to buy in LV when at the end the salesman said there was a $4,000 markup on it. :curse: Also, the average F150 truck payment is $1,000/month now which is insane for a truck payment!

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Good! I hope these dealers get stuck with these until Ford has to step up and highly discount them. Most of them thought they could still add ridiculous markups and now they're getting stuck with inventory. Just like the Tremor I was going to buy in LV when at the end the salesman said there was a $4,000 markup on it. :curse: Also, the average F150 truck payment is $1,000/month now which is insane for a truck payment!
Basically a mortgage payment in half of America..

UnregistredHypercam2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Toyota Land Cruiser VX Limited
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Basically a mortgage payment in half of America..

which half of America can you get a mortgage payment that cheap? asking as a 20 something who is priced out of the housing market anywhere worth living....

Noface

First Name
Jes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Nerd
The half between the east and west coast.

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel

Well I know you were in sort of a "have to buy" situation in a way.... I bought my 2022 Ford LARIAT / TREMOR - 501A Package in the middle / end of the Pandemic here in Los Angeles. Mark up capitol of the world.

I gave them MY PRICE. When they said, "oh we can't do that" I got up and walked. (credit score off the chart and planing to pay cash in FULL).

On the 30min or so drive home I start getting texts and emails "what can we do to make the deal"?

Well (idiots), you WILL take MY offer or "go fish". (the beauty of NOT having to buy a vehicle).

So they said "IF you can come back tonight we'll do you price" Nope.... Not going to buy a car in the dark. IF YOUR offer is good in the morning I'll be back....

They agreed.

And while I didn't get "below sticker" (because in my opinion we'll never see those days again on a "top of the line" build) I didn't pay their mark up. Oh and that $1000.00 little strip of door edge film... I told them they can give it to me for free or peal it off.

I hope I never have to buy a car when I "have to". I love knowing MY numbers ($) and not budging.

4.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Well I know you were in sort of a "have to buy" situation in a way.... I bought my 2022 Ford LARIAT / TREMOR - 501A Package in the middle / end of the Pandemic here in Los Angeles. Mark up capitol of the world.

I gave them MY PRICE. When they said, "oh we can't do that" I got up and walked. (credit score off the chart and planing to pay cash in FULL).

On the 30min or so drive home I start getting texts and emails "what can we do to make the deal"?

Well (idiots), you WILL take MY offer or "go fish". (the beauty of NOT having to buy a vehicle).

So they said "IF you can come back tonight we'll do you price" Nope.... Not going to buy a car in the dark. IF YOUR offer is good in the morning I'll be back....

They agreed.

And while I didn't get "below sticker" (because in my opinion we'll never see those days again on a "top of the line" build) I didn't pay their mark up. Oh and that $1000.00 little strip of door edge film... I told them they can give it to me for free or peal it off.

I hope I never have to buy a car when I "have to". I love knowing MY numbers ($) and not budging.

4.jpg
Yup, I'm the same way. Even though I was in a "have to buy" situation I'd never pay that kind (or any) markup! Prior to finding out my '19 was a total loss I had already comprised a list of Rangers I wanted that were all across the country. While I'd have rather have flown out to LV and drove it back that same night no way I was paying $4K more. I even told them I'm paying cash and will take it for msrp and they wouldn't budge. They did call me about a week later and I just laughed at them and hung up.

It worked out for the best because the trip to WA was fun and I got to break it in right away and see some great parts of the country on our drive back. Now we're out finishing up a month long trip and I have just over 5,000 miles on it and will put another 1,200 or so before getting home on Sunday and I couldn't be happier with it!

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
which half of America can you get a mortgage payment that cheap? asking as a 20 something who is priced out of the housing market anywhere worth living....
First is existing, second is where nobody wants really, it’s there as undesirable but still there. It depends on acceptability but it’s still there. I get it, I’ve been looking lately at all markets.. reality is what you can afford vs what you’re willing to put up with… it’s there but not a good match for most. Just saying…
Sponsored