MannyS

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
As reliable as the Ford pickups are and there commitment to making a good product. Can someone explain how and why these horrible transmissions on the fiesta and focus ever made it to production? Ford now has to shell up to $20k per car for this mishap. What were they thinking? Anyone have any insite? Did Ford learn their lesson?
Sponsored

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I would think so but doesn't seem they have. Just look at all those Fiestas etc with the 1.0/1.6L ecoboosts across the pond a year or so ago. Ford tried to hide the issue but eventually had to refund folks for their cars over there. At least with the transmission issue, owners didn't have to worry about randomly going up in flames due to engine fires. :)

robear14

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
As reliable as the Ford pickups are and there commitment to making a good product. Can someone explain how and why these horrible transmissions on the fiesta and focus ever made it to production? Ford now has to shell up to $20k per car for this mishap. What were they thinking? Anyone have any insite? Did Ford learn their lesson?
We owned 2 Fiestas ('12 and '15) and a Focus ('15) that fall into the class action lawsuit, but never had any problems with the transmission in any of them.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
We owned 2 Fiestas ('12 and '15) and a Focus ('15) that fall into the class action lawsuit, but never had any problems with the transmission in any of them.
That’s amazing. I had a 2012 Focus and traded it in 2014. It was on its third clutch pack and needed a fourth when I traded it in. The clutch seemed to last around 10-12 thousand miles. Other than the deeply flawed transmission it was a nice car. But the transmission made for a miserable ownership experience.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
My wife had a Fiesta without any issues either, it was a fun little car. Lime green hatchback with the sport package, it handled like a go kart, was reasonably quick and got 40 mpg. But I do recognize there are problems and we were one of the lucky ones.

Seems like the "fun little cars" segment has always had issues. Look up problems with Mini Coopers and Smart Cars and you'll see what I mean. I always have my eyes open for small good handling cars for SCCA small track Autocross. (we have some world class kart tracks that run timed autocross near me - And my wife wouldn't let me thrash her Fiesta, hahah) I'll probably end up with a Miata or a Boxster someday.
Fiesta.jpg

Crazymonkey96

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Radiographer
I had a 18 focus and had to have the shifting solenoid replaced right after I got it because it was shifting rough. Annnnd the horn didn't work when I bought it. But other then those two issues I never had another issue in the 30k I had it before trading it for my 19 ranger.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I’ve never held ford passenger cars in high regard with some exception. Their decision to stop producing them was the right one IMO.

But then again I think fewer and fewer makes have been producing passenger vehicles I want to be in that are >35k.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
Correction - I meant to say vehicles under 35k. (<35k). There’s lots of cars >35k I like!

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
The transmission they used in the Ford Ecosport in the Philppines was a bad driving experience. It never broke down in the 5 years we owned it though. I hated that transmission. My wife wants a Territory to replace it, but that dang thing has a CVT made by Punch Powertrain. Im researching this transmission bc Im not getting into that nightmare if its bad. the reviews have been good and it seems this company makes alot CVTs and also supply BMW. I only knew about JETCO and ASIN and to stay away from Nissan CVTs. CVTs are garbage in my opinion, they need more maintenance, they are complicated and need to be rebuilt and not repaired according to the companies. Dont get me started on the techs here. However, if its not much to maintain and outlast the engine. I Wont worry about it.

external-content.duckduckgo.com1.jpg
Sponsored