Ford asks dealers to invest in EVs as it chases Tesla-like profit

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
In telluride and just took a walk to my ranger and couldn't help but notice 4 tesla charging stations (no vehicles hooked in) but not a big garage, yes telluride isn't the real world but seeing more ev charge stations at various locations. Not in rural areas but the infrastructure act has a focus on rural areas just like way back in the 40s the rural electrification act provided federal assistance to bring electricity to rural areas which greatly aided farmers and other rural dwellers.
It's now possible to Drive from Brisbane to Cairns in my home state now in an e-car (~1,700 Km) if you are careful and have all the apps for all the charging station providers and none are broken. One of our motoring organizations did it in an electric Kona to prove the point.

https://www.racq.com.au/articles/evs/2022/3/cruising-the-ev-super-highway
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jbrubakerjr

Jbrubakerjr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat
Wow how many kilowatts was that for? We put on solar back here in 2017 cost about $7500 Aud for 6.0 Kw. By a few changes to our household routine (run all the power sucking stuff during the day) we were able to cut our bill by enough to break even in about 4 years. Of course were are in the high subtropics and get quite a lot of sun, say about 14 odd hours in summer and 8-9 in winter. My wife has an electric car which she charges at work, or during the day at home for free (well not quite free, technically we are loosing $0.08 per KWh by using it to charge the car rather than putting it back into the grid). I wouldn't want to take a long road trip in it, but we always have the Ranger for that.
The solar industry over here is heavily subsidized because the government finally realized that it's cheaper to do that, than keep building new power stations. Now they are starting to subsidize batteries as well.
I don't remember the killowatt, but in the end it would have only covered about 1/2 of my annual electric bill. To be fair, that did include a single battery storage unit (again, unsure of the KW storage on that as well), which I am assuming is the most expensive part of the 'solution'.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Little of topic but Saturday AM while driving on a local highway (had about 2in of snow overnight) I came up on a truck and an car pulled off to the side with the 4-ways on....so I move over to give room thinking it was an accident. Nope....the truck apparently brought a small gas generator to the scene and was trying to charge up the (assuming) dead battery in the Tesla. The both stood there looking at the charger cable going into the Tesla with the generator running.

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Little of topic but Saturday AM while driving on a local highway (had about 2in of snow overnight) I came up on a truck and an car pulled off to the side with the 4-ways on....so I move over to give room thinking it was an accident. Nope....the truck apparently brought a small gas generator to the scene and was trying to charge up the (assuming) dead battery in the Tesla. The both stood there looking at the charger cable going into the Tesla with the generator running.
I've yet to actually see that over here, but I believe that the auto recovery clubs do now carry generators for this purpose. They are supposed to top you up enough to get to the closest charger.
Sponsored