rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Cool. One thing I don't seem to hear with this truck is anything turbo related. I have had two mildly modified supercharged GM 3800 W-Bodies and the S/C whine under full throttle was addictive, especially after installing the CAI, nevermind the acceleration :sunglasses::sunglasses:

If you roll down your passenger window and drive alongside a barrier ... you can hear baby turbo noises haha.
Sponsored

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Not sure what you mean.
IIRC the custom turbo intake you designed replaces Air Inlet - Ford (KB3Z-9C675-A)
Screenshot_20230319-175018~2.png

I believe yours is a little more free flowing.

The factory part looks odd if you think of air tumbling through it.

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
IIRC the custom turbo intake you designed replaces Air Inlet - Ford (KB3Z-9C675-A)
Screenshot_20230319-175018~2.png

I believe yours is a little more free flowing.

The factory part looks odd if you think of air tumbling through it.
Yes, mine is much higher flow. The factory one is still straight through though, it’s just smaller. No baffles or anything.

9E1FB11E-448D-48F5-8601-1B934148EC55.jpeg

7A41833C-6C72-4D6D-8B47-B9A0DAD00582.jpeg

DB1832F8-E304-4EF3-B018-F3075033330C.jpeg

834211FC-0111-4666-9704-AA560BE462EA.jpeg

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
@Racket - I’ve installed the intake elbow I ordered from Revolution and can provide some of the detail you seek. I can confirm that there is significant noise abatement built into the factory inlet elbow. As Mishimoto noted in their blog for the intercooler pipe development for the Ranger, there is a portion of the inlet elbow lined with a very fine composite mesh screen with a white packing material behind it. I used to assume this was a filter for the valve cover breather and the high pressure fuel vapors to have their gases pass through, but now having removed and studied the elbow I see this is not the case. The ports for both the valve cover breather and high pressure fuel vapors dump directly into the airflow path with the fine mesh portion of the elbow being completely unrelated. The portion of the elbow with fine mesh on the inner wall of the elbow is related to this protruded area in the elbow outer wall mounding. I am fully convinced this is a resonator that is designed not to impede flow , but deaden the intake noise whistle for NVH purposes (think similar to how a non-louvered, perforated core glass pack muffler works). The Revolution elbow produces significantly more turbo intake whistle when at part throttle than the factory part.
EAD672F8-6745-40D4-989B-86264F150F65.jpeg

Using a digital caliper, the inlet of the factory elbow is 2.6 in. The outlet of the factory elbow into the turbo inlet is 2.25in. The inlet of the Revolution elbow is 3.35in. The outlet of the Revolution elbow into the turbo inlet via the supplied silicone elbow is 2.5in. Since my K&N Series 63 intake elbow reduces to 2.6 in to match the inlet diameter of the factory elbow, I am reworking the intake to use a 3.5 in silicone elbow to take full advantage of all the extra airflow the larger Revolution turbo inlet elbow can provide.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
@Racket - I’ve installed the intake elbow I ordered from Revolution and can provide some of the detail you seek. I can confirm that there is significant noise abatement built into the factory inlet elbow. As Mishimoto noted in their blog for the intercooler pipe development for the Ranger, there is a portion of the inlet elbow lined with a very fine composite mesh screen with a white packing material behind it. I used to assume this was a filter for the valve cover breather and the high pressure fuel vapors to have their gases pass through, but now having removed and studied the elbow I see this is not the case. The ports for both the valve cover breather and high pressure fuel vapors dump directly into the airflow path with the fine mesh portion of the elbow being completely unrelated. The portion of the elbow with fine mesh on the inner wall of the elbow is related to this protruded area in the elbow outer wall mounding. I am fully convinced this is a resonator that is designed not to impede flow , but deaden the intake noise whistle for NVH purposes (think similar to how a non-louvered, perforated core glass pack muffler works). The Revolution elbow produces significantly more turbo intake whistle when at part throttle than the factory part.

Using a digital caliper, the inlet of the factory elbow is 2.6 in. The outlet of the factory elbow into the turbo inlet is 2.25in. The inlet of the Revolution elbow is 3.35in. The outlet of the Revolution elbow into the turbo inlet via the supplied silicone elbow is 2.5in. Since my K&N Series 63 intake elbow reduces to 2.6 in to match the inlet diameter of the factory elbow, I am reworking the intake to use a 3.5 in silicone elbow to take full advantage of all the extra airflow the larger Revolution turbo inlet elbow can provide.
Wow nice analysis. I suspected some mod to airflow much like some older intakes on non-turbo cars from the 90's had - sort of an appendix-looking attachment to quiet the intake noise.

Your setup seems to focus on opening up the flow even farther ahead the turbo inlet which I imagine lets the turbo do it's thing quicker. ?

When I consider the mixed street performance of this truck I've come to think Ford matched the turbo itself well to the engine.

I added the 3 inch exhaust to the factory cat back and don't mind the noise (Magnaflow) and haven't picked up any significant or unpleasant noise with the other this far minor mods (Mishimoto IC pipes, GFB DV+ on factory blowoff).

I don't think the AfE Magnum or VelossaTech add any noise at all although I don't think I'll move off the factory air filter media for longevity sake.

The simple mods plus the tune have obviously upped performance and there is a change in driving experience even without the tune I've gotten accustomed to. Ford really worked hard to keep the engine somewhat pedestrian for the majority of their target market but I find myself wanting to refine the power on mine without risking damage or shortening the life of the motor. The UPR catch can is about that.

The airbox elbow looks like the next channel that needs opening, now I'm curious about that ?. A little extra noise of the right kind won't bother me yet - I can always add soundproofing and stereo amplification if it does ??.

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person

Sweet! Just so you know that fine mesh white stuff is not on all factory inlets. The design is different throughout the years. My 21 does not have mesh inside the ports. It is a little louder though isn’t it?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Sweet! Just so you know that fine mesh white stuff is not on all factory inlets. The design is different throughout the years. My 21 does not have mesh inside the ports. It is a little louder though isn’t it?
If you engineer a bigger elbow to your intake mod (compare notes?) for otherwise stock setups you'd have a really great accompaniment to upgraded intercoolers and charge pipes.

Not crazy about adding a whistle though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
If you engineer a bigger elbow to your intake mod (compare notes?) for otherwise stock setups you'd have a really great accompaniment to upgraded intercoolers and charge pipes.
Working on a 4” open intake soon.

gryder

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Fx4
Yes, mine is much higher flow. The factory one is still straight through though, it’s just smaller. No baffles or anything.

9E1FB11E-448D-48F5-8601-1B934148EC55.jpeg

7A41833C-6C72-4D6D-8B47-B9A0DAD00582.jpeg

DB1832F8-E304-4EF3-B018-F3075033330C.jpeg

834211FC-0111-4666-9704-AA560BE462EA.jpeg
Not sure if this was mentioned, but how can someone buy the turbo elbow in the picture above? Loweredon33’s, is this a one off piece or does someone make it and sell them?

Garrett

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Not sure if this was mentioned, but how can someone buy the turbo elbow in the picture above? Loweredon33’s, is this a one off piece or does someone make it and sell them?

Garrett
They are done in production batches. We made them in house and will consider making another run if interest is high enough again.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
They are done in production batches. We made them in house and will consider making another run if interest is high enough again.
Been thinking of this lately. Has there been many inquiries?

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Been thinking of this lately. Has there been many inquiries?
Some, I’ve been getting more requests for the inlet pipe lately too.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Some, I’ve been getting more requests for the inlet pipe lately too.
With the plethora of intercooler charge pipes and intercoolers it would make a nice set.

Although I'm interested in the pre-turbo elbow exclusively.
Sponsored