First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Finally got around to getting the crappy finish stripped off my Injen intake. Had both pipes powder coated Illusion lite blue and top coated with Phantom clear. I’m pretty happy with it for now.

26397336-D880-4D75-A90E-753BBA3D6616.jpeg

B28D4EDE-AA0C-4A36-B3B3-37690FD640B1.jpeg

A00285A5-963E-4067-B592-CDA51448FCBA.jpeg

452F560F-3CEC-44F1-A7D9-EEBAFE82A4C1.jpeg
Sponsored

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Nice. I wish my truck was blue. I'm curious though, it looks' like that will be picking up hot air from the engine bay, is it missing a seal around the coolant bottle?

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Nice. I wish my truck was blue. I'm curious though, it looks' like that will be picking up hot air from the engine bay, is it missing a seal around the coolant bottle?
It’s not missing anything. That’s how it came. This type of intake sacrifices some low speed heat in the name of cool turbo noises and a lot more available airflow. I have datalogged this and so far it’s only hotter when moving slowly or sitting still. Driving at speed and flooring it tends to bring intercooler temperatures down to nearly ambient and intake temperature not much warmer than that.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
It’s not missing anything. That’s how it came. This type of intake sacrifices some low speed heat in the name of cool turbo noises and a lot more available airflow. I have datalogged this and so far it’s only hotter when moving slowly or sitting still. Driving at speed and flooring it tends to bring intercooler temperatures down to nearly ambient and intake temperature not much warmer than that.
Cool. One thing I don't seem to hear with this truck is anything turbo related. I have had two mildly modified supercharged GM 3800 W-Bodies and the S/C whine under full throttle was addictive, especially after installing the CAI, nevermind the acceleration :sunglasses::sunglasses:

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Cool. One thing I don't seem to hear with this truck is anything turbo related. I have had two mildly modified supercharged GM 3800 W-Bodies and the S/C whine under full throttle was addictive, especially after installing the CAI, nevermind the acceleration :sunglasses::sunglasses:
I’m working on manufacturing an open intake that is bigger, shorter and louder than this one. This one is quite loud though and so far it’s been the only way I have gotten good turbo noises that I like. This video kinda captures it.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
Man, what's with all the scratches and paint chipping around the mounting holes for the oem intake box?

One too many bud lights and an oversized screw driver?

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Man, what's with all the scratches and paint chipping around the mounting holes for the oem intake box?

One too many bud lights and an oversized screw driver?
My truck gets used for product testing and tune development. It’s been apart or reconfigured many times over.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
My truck gets used for product testing and tune development. It’s been apart or reconfigured many times over.
Ah explains it.
Any experiments with electric fans?

Did the e-fan swap myself on my ole dodge dakota with the 4.7. Made barely any difference other than ruining my weekend and being reminded of anger issues. Been curious if these little motors would have any benefit.

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Ah explains it.
Any experiments with electric fans?

Did the e-fan swap myself on my ole dodge dakota with the 4.7. Made barely any difference other than ruining my weekend and being reminded of anger issues. Been curious if these little motors would have any benefit.
I have considered this, I wonder if the ecu could control the fans with the electronic original clutch fan system.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
I have considered this, I wonder if the ecu could control the fans with the electronic original clutch fan system.
Well, that's one possibility I suppose.
On my dakota install, I utilized a coolant bleeder hole with a temp sensor powered direct from the battery.

OP
OP
Loweredon33s

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Well, that's one possibility I suppose.
On my dakota install, I utilized a coolant bleeder hole with a temp sensor powered direct from the battery.
The a/c needs to have control of the fan as well. If you run an electric fan system as a stand alone, there will be some idle stability issues from the ecu not being able to control and anticipate the electrical load. It won’t be able to turn off at certain speeds either which might become problematic too. Also I’m sure the check engine light will be a problem that way.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
The a/c needs to have control of the fan as well. If you run an electric fan system as a stand alone, there will be some idle stability issues from the ecu not being able to control and anticipate the electrical load. It won’t be able to turn off at certain speeds either which might become problematic too. Also I’m sure the check engine light will be a problem that way.
yeah pretty much why I never bothered to seriously look into it unless someone else did the dirty work.

Big differences between an 05' and a 22' in terms of tech.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Back to your turbo intake: is the appendage on the factory piece some type of noise abatement?