First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
So on the way into work this morning, a guy jumped out of a moving car in front of me. I thought he got hit by the driver. I cannot wrap my head around what has to be going through your mind to do that….
The guy is going to be okay. He’s down a quart and will only have 1 ear, but ok considering.

I stopped immediately as did the driver behind me.
I’m first aid trained, the other driver is not - so I’ve got him calling 911. I go to assess the guy on the side of the road and it is well beyond what I expected. Now a third driver has stopped - an off duty officer (3 years on the job). Both of us have first aid kits and I have a tarp with a reflective side that I’ve got covering the guy to retain some heat.
Now we crack open these first aid kits, which includes me tearing off the plastic wrap on my premium kit.
Holy sh1t, are we under prepared. Between the two of us, we have tweezers, glow sticks, antiseptic wipes, some bandaids, and a lot of gauze pads all 4x4 and smaller. My kit at least had a pair of lunch lady gloves….

I am pissed realizing how I thought I was better prepared. I could help a kid who fell off his bike at best.

I want to put together something better. I don’t want a full first responder bag. And I live, work, and play near big cities.
Several pairs of gloves, a couple rolls of gauze, a couple triangle bandages, and hand sanitizer are definitely going to be included.
Looking for feedback from you folks. What do you have and also what to avoid.
Sponsored

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
There is this company, https://www.narescue.com/ that makes some good stuff. I have noticed that they have started marketing first aid kits that are sold on "Guntuber" websites that are pretty well equipped for dealing with injuries expected on shooting ranges. They seem to have the supplies you would want to keep in a vehicle, but priced fairly reasonably; $100-$200.

Google "demolition ranch medical kit" or "mystery ranch VLAK" and you should see the kits I'm talking about.

OregonRangerTremor

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor/2022 Bronco/2006 ChargerDaytona
Occupation
Retired LEO/Dog Trainer
Vehicle Showcase
So on the way into work this morning, a guy jumped out of a moving car in front of me. I thought he got hit by the driver. I cannot wrap my head around what has to be going through your mind to do that….
The guy is going to be okay. He’s down a quart and will only have 1 ear, but ok considering.

I stopped immediately as did the driver behind me.
I’m first aid trained, the other driver is not - so I’ve got him calling 911. I go to assess the guy on the side of the road and it is well beyond what I expected. Now a third driver has stopped - an off duty officer (3 years on the job). Both of us have first aid kits and I have a tarp with a reflective side that I’ve got covering the guy to retain some heat.
Now we crack open these first aid kits, which includes me tearing off the plastic wrap on my premium kit.
Holy sh1t, are we under prepared. Between the two of us, we have tweezers, glow sticks, antiseptic wipes, some bandaids, and a lot of gauze pads all 4x4 and smaller. My kit at least had a pair of lunch lady gloves….

I am pissed realizing how I thought I was better prepared. I could help a kid who fell off his bike at best.

I want to put together something better. I don’t want a full first responder bag. And I live, work, and play near big cities.
Several pairs of gloves, a couple rolls of gauze, a couple triangle bandages, and hand sanitizer are definitely going to be included.
Looking for feedback from you folks. What do you have and also what to avoid.
I am a former EMT and Police Officer. First advice; do NOT buy a pre-made kit. Make your own. Whether a soft bag or a hard shell case, determine what you want to carry, how big this needs to be and that it will fit in your vehicle. Then, determine what potential injuries you may be treating and purchase the appropriate supplies to treat those injuries in the field. As an example, gun shot wounds will need packing, maybe a tourniquet, plastic for sucking chest wounds, wrap. Trauma injuries; lots of 4X4's and wrapping. If for hiking; snake bite kit, splint, Band-Aids, gauzes. In other words, customize your kit they way you intent to use it, anticipating the type of injuries to be treated. There is no need to carry stuff you will not need. Lastly, if stored in your trunk, check it periodically for mold/water damage or rodent infestation. Re-stock as necessary.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I have several military bandages and cravats......4X4 pads.......tape, gloves, tourniquets.....just enough to bandage 'em up before the ambulance arrives then they take over!

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
A few words of advice...I'm a retired AF medic (and a former EMT and Vol FF) that was part of a team of 6 or 7 folks from the Med Group that taught SABC (self-aid buddy care) to others that were being deployed to all the fun places around the world that dealt with anything from dehydration to GSW's to traumatic amputations.

1--Make sure your scene is safe !!! Wear gloves, eye protection if available, and a safety vest. No need getting yourself injured or killed trying to be a hero.
2--Know what you are doing !! If you haven't been trained to do something, you may be doing more harm than good, ie-- putting a tourniquet on a venous bleed vs an arterial bleed.
3--Only move a patient if in IMMEDIATE danger, like fire.

As far as basic stuff to have on hand--nitrile gloves, safety vest, flashlight, seat belt cutter or trauma shears, window breaker, 4x4's, rolls of gauze, a couple tourniquets, maybe an Israeli bandage or 2. Hand Sanitizer and a few paper towels for afterwards. If you live in cold areas, keep your nitrile gloves inside as they become "brittle" in the cold. NO latex gloves !!!

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQ8JVC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This with additions: Headlamp, better scissors, sharp folding knife, tourniquet, flexible splint, nose bleed plugs and clamp, Baby aspirin, Benadryl, codeine, and reluctantly Narcan. I have added more but can't recall all and now i will be adding these

Automatic Center Punch 5inch Spring Loaded Punch Tool for Steel Wood Plastic Determine Drilling Position
(4.3)4.3 stars out of 3 reviews3 reviews
$8.99

because of others responses.
And these for truck and van windows.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKNF4P2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CQ8JVC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This with additions: Headlamp, better scissors, sharp folding knife, tourniquet, flexible splint, nose bleed plugs and clamp, Baby aspirin, Benadryl, codeine, and reluctantly Narcan. I have added more but can't recall all and now i will be adding these

Automatic Center Punch 5inch Spring Loaded Punch Tool for Steel Wood Plastic Determine Drilling Position
(4.3)4.3 stars out of 3 reviews3 reviews
$8.99

because of others responses.
And these for truck and van windows.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TKNF4P2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Good call on a couple of those “tools”. I was looking for an inexpensive light to throw in the kit. I like the headlamp idea.

I have a naloxone kit in the house. With three teens/twenties kids and their friends around, I figured it was a worth having. I live in a condo, so it is more densely populated and higher likelihood of an incident.
It cannot be stored in a vehicle - should not be…. The temps can move well out of the safe storage range.

I also asked my MIL - who is a retired nurse and flew with an air ambulance. She broke it down and made it real simple. Supplies that are versatile, I know how to use, address broad but common issues, and buy the time needed until professionals arrive.

I have a kit and additional supplies on the way.

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
Gloves, Israeli bandages (direct pressure) and tourniquets (uncontrolled bleeding) should be enough to handle most situations until EMS arrive.
That was pretty much the direction. She also recommended plenty of 4x4’s, triangle bandages, and a couple abdominal pads. I added a sam splint, ace wrap, and some rolled gauze. And hand sanitizer.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
That was pretty much the direction. She also recommended plenty of 4x4’s, triangle bandages, and a couple abdominal pads. I added a sam splint, ace wrap, and some rolled gauze. And hand sanitizer.
Yes, all great things to include and can't hurt to have extra items on hand in a situation. On the knowledge front, evaluating a casualty and treating for shock would be the two topics on my short list. I've rolled up on some bad ones during my long highway commutes, to include pedestrian/vehicle accidents, and I thank god for the training I received back in the day. Good on you, and all those who prepare to help others. ;)

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
A lot of responses appear to assume that help will be available in short order. Not always.
On a road trip this past March I camped beside the road just north of the Pyramid Lake Reservation.
The last vehicle went by about 10 PM. Left there about 4:30 AM and drove north over 100 miles before seeing another vehicle. Most of the time we had no cell service.
It was Sunday morning and people still go to church but there are few people outside of the Burning Man debauchery.
Per my doc a bottle of super glue for cuts

OP
OP
Danager

Danager

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge
Occupation
Manager
A lot of responses appear to assume that help will be available in short order. Not always.
On a road trip this past March I camped beside the road just north of the Pyramid Lake Reservation.
The last vehicle went by about 10 PM. Left there about 4:30 AM and drove north over 100 miles before seeing another vehicle. Most of the time we had no cell service.
It was Sunday morning and people still go to church but there are few people outside of the Burning Man debauchery.
Per my doc a bottle of super glue for cuts
Excellent point. I started by looking for something that is good for my daily commute. 30 minutes from city to city. Help is up to 20 minutes away.
If on a road trip, I can add a few more items.
Sponsored