alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger (2019), Chevrolet Camaro 2002 Anniversary Edition
Hi everyone,

I got my 2019 Ranger in July of 2019, and I haven't used it much (I drive a 200 mile round trip every 2-3 weeks, all highway). I noticed a few weeks back that the truck wouldn't start, and so I figured it was the battery. I got it jumped and it started up right away. I drove it a lot, and figured it needed to be driven to recharge the battery. Well, again, this week (after 2 weeks of not moving the truck) the battery appears dead, as it will not start. Now, I imagine that this is likely a faulty battery? I have several cars (early 2000s and late 90s) that I do not drive for months at a time, yet the batteries on those do not die as quickly as this one did. Does the ranger have a lot of electrical systems in place that draw on the battery when the truck is off? I'm just not understanding why the battery would be completely shot after only a year of use, if I only drive it 200 miles every few weeks.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
It is possible you have a bad battery. The best thing you can do is take it to the dealership and have them go through the process of getting it replaced under warranty. Thankfully it is covered under the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
I travel a lot and mine can sit for a month and always starts. unless there is a parasitic drain somewhere (mods for example) it must be a duff one.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is possible you have a bad battery. The best thing you can do is take it to the dealership and have them go through the process of getting it replaced under warranty. Thankfully it is covered under the 3/36,000 bumper to bumper warranty.
Is it really covered under that? I thought the batteries had their own separate warranty?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Is it really covered under that? I thought the batteries had their own separate warranty?
Ford is one of the many(but yet few) companies that covers the battery under the bumper to bumper warranty. Mine unfortunately will not be covered under warranty because I'm about to hit 36,000 miles so my bumper to bumper warranty will be gone all together.

OP
OP

alazar14

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I travel a lot and mine can sit for a month and always starts. unless there is a parasitic drain somewhere (mods for example) it must be a duff one.
I did have an anti-theft device installed by the dealership, blinking green light, is that parasitic to the battery?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ford is one of the many(but yet few) companies that covers the battery under the bumper to bumper warranty. Mine unfortunately will not be covered under warranty because I'm about to hit 36,000 miles so my bumper to bumper warranty will be gone all together.
Hi Chris,

My Ranger just turned 1981 miles on my trip to our UPS Store mail box.... Two years old and so I have another year on my battery...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Old school stuff was actually off when keyed off, new vehicles not so much. All the modules and tech draw a small amount. But I would think it should be able to sit 2 weeks provided the batt was fully charged.

Since it seems like you don't drive for extended periods, I would suggest a battery tender if possible.
Sponsored