John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
So my girlfriend unsurprisingly caught the "I want a new car" bug when I brought the truck home. Her Subaru has been in the shop for everything from bad half shafts to tuner knobs falling off to the oil drain plug being painted to the pan from the inside (evidently a known issue that Subaru has no official fix for).

Surprisingly, after talking about Toyotas, Kias, and VW for two months, she said she wants to drive the Explorer Timberline - guess she thinks the Ford did a good job with my truck.

We drove a rental XLT to Minnesota last fall but I'm curious if anyone here has driven the Timberline and can speak to how the suspension rides. I know it's the Interceptor shocks and struts but it has different springs and a front rebound spring(?). We had a test drive setup for tomorrow but the dealer sold it yesterday so I'm trying to track another one down.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Kino

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 F150 Lariat, '21 BS BL, '18 GC, '74 Ghia
Occupation
Chair Warmer
I have the ST ordered. I decided on it over the Timberline (which I prefer) because of the gas tank size, the 3.0 V6, and better mpgs. I can opt for not getting a dreaded moonroof!

The Timberline looks great in Forged Green. I went Stone Blue with the ST.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I havent been in a timberline exploder but I can say the new body does look good. Is it rated for OffRoad? Technically yes but I wouldnt take it far. Assuming she will keep it on the street you should be fine. Other then that I feel its a good vehicle.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I havent been in a timberline exploder but I can say the new body does look good. Is it rated for OffRoad? Technically yes but I wouldnt take it far. Assuming she will keep it on the street you should be fine. Other then that I feel its a good vehicle.
Yeah, I'm not worried about it's off-road chops, more on how it rides on the road. The normal trims are too soft and wallow around for my taste but we have the Interceptors at work and I know there's no way she'll want that stiff ride. I'm curious how good a job Ford did selecting different springs for the Timberline to take up some of that stiffness from the shocks/struts. And I'm not sure what/how the extra front rebound spring is.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I have the ST ordered. I decided on it over the Timberline (which I prefer) because of the gas tank size, the 3.0 V6, and better mpgs. I can opt for not getting a dreaded moonroof!

The Timberline looks great in Forged Green. I went Stone Blue with the ST.
If it were mine, I'd get a Limited or the ST but I her money so...I'm guessing the Ranger is serving as her inspiration lol.

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
I came VERY close to buying a Timberline, but couldn't get forged green and the green interior just doesn't work with other colors IMO.

Bought the Ranger Tremor instead.

OP
OP
halligan1201

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I came VERY close to buying a Timberline, but couldn't get forged green and the green interior just doesn't work with other colors IMO.

Bought the Ranger Tremor instead.
Yeah that green is what got her attention. We drove one today and it's looking like she'll be ordering one through Granger if the dealer she went to today can't come close on the price.
Sponsored