Explorer ST 1 month review

Clump

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST former 2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
1 month ago today I traded my Ranger Tremor on a 2022 Explorer ST. I went a couple of years without any real power and had developed a terrible itch. I came REAL close to buying a Mustang GT, but it really wouldn't work as an only vehicle and (slightly) practical me was concerned about the expense of keeping the Ranger and adding a toy. I've also become terribly spoiled by having my Ranger garaged for the past year. This led to looking for a good daily driver with some HP. Enter Explorer ST. 3.0L twin turbo V6, 400HP, 415 lb-feet torque AWD.
Cropped.jpg

I looked at Dodge Durango RT with the 5.7 Hemi. The Explorer ST is faster and IMO looks better. The exhaust note on the Dodge is fantastic! If the SRT with the 392 wasn't so much more expensive I'd probably be driving that.

Acceleration is really a blast! 30 years ago I owned a GMC Syclone with a Hypertech chip and the ST reminds me of it a lot.

I think the experiment is a success. I gave up a bunch of off road capability and gained acceleration and remarkable handling for such a big beast. The interior is more roomy than the Ranger and there are a lot more luxury and tech features. Of course, I lost the truck bed, but there is a bunch of cargo room. There's a 3rd row of seats that will rarely get used. I smile every time I hit the gas!

I really loved the adaptive cruise control in my Ranger. This has intelligent cruise that takes it to another level. It's my favorite tech feature so far.

I'm trying to not be super anal about this vehicle. It is my daily driver, but it's also the most expensive vehicle I've ever owned and serving dual duty as a toy.

There's a Ford Performance tune available with the same warranty deal as the Ranger version that adds 30HP. A 93 octane ZFG tune is good for 100HP! That puts these into the mid 12s. I have just over 1,000 miles at this point. I will probably do the Whipple intercooler and ZFG tune, but want to make sure there's no issues that I'll miss having the warranty for first. On E50 people are getting into the high 11s.

For other mods - I've already added a rear diff brace. Front window tint is illegal in DE, but I see plenty with and and it would sure look better. I may do Steeda lowering springs and sway bars at some point, but it handles pretty good already. A bit lower does look REALLY good though.

There are a few cons:
- Expensive! Mine stickered at just over $60K.
- The ipad style screen is pretty out of place and Ford didn't do a very good job of using the extra space.
- The digital dash layout is not nearly as configurable as it could (should!) be and wastes a lot of space.
- It's still Sync 3, although from what I hear about Sync 4 that may not be a really big con.
- Fit and finish is typical Ford. No better or worse than my Ranger was.
- Nobody has figured out how to permanently disable ASS in Forscan yet.
- Fake engine noise through the stereo is pretty over the top. Turned it off with Forscan.
Sponsored

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
They are supposedly very fun. That iPad screen is a sin though.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Agree with your write up, as my wife drives a 2021 explorer W/ 3.0. I hope those seats are a preview of what’s to come in the ranger. And I hope that is the same 3.0 to come.
Sponsored