First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
My 2019 Ranger has been in the shop seven (7) times for a total of 12 days. Total mileage is 1824 miles. The dealer and Ford can't figure out the cause of the problem. I receive a notice on the dash and FordPass: Wrench Symbol; POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION ( 21 times on FordPass) and PARK AID MALFUNCTION (5 times on FordPass). When the symbols appear, the following stop working: (1) NO CRUISE CONTROL, (2) ALL EXTERNAL SENSORS STOP WORKING, (3) AUTO HEADLIGHTS STOP WORKING. Ford thinks it is caused by a faulty GATEWAY MODULE, which the redesigned version will be available August 5th. This truck is a LEMON! Other than this major problem, the truck is great.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My 2019 Ranger has been in the shop seven (7) times for a total of 12 days. Total mileage is 1824 miles. The dealer and Ford can't figure out the cause of the problem. I receive a notice on the dash and FordPass: Wrench Symbol; POWERTRAIN MALFUCTION ( 21 times on FordPass) and PARK AID MALFUNCTION (5 times on FordPass). When the symbols appear, the following stop working: (1) NO CRUISE CONTROL, (2) ALL EXTERNAL SENSORS STOP WORKING, (3) AUTO HEADLIGHTS STOP WORKING. Ford thinks it is caused by a faulty GATEWAY MODULE, which the redesigned version will be available August 5th. This truck is a LEMON! Other than this major problem, the truck is great.
Others have had similar problems...It appears there is a connector that is not properly seated in the wiring harness. The culprit at least one case was the connector behind the left headlight not being seated...Also check all the engine compartment connectors as well. Good Luck

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
When electronics fail in a new vehicle it is very common for them to fail early. When they find/fix the failing component the symptoms you are now experiencing will likely go away but it is a frustrating experience.

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray
Lol, another post pointed me to this review and these guys experienced some crazy electronic glitches at bout 6mins in:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I still think these kinds of issues are due to poor connections somewhere in the truck. If it was truly "broken", it wouldn't just "fix itself" (electronics don't self repair- at least not yet). My guess is that the loose connection got a good enough connection after going over a bump or something. It would be nice if Ford investigated reports of this to see if there is some sort of assembly issue or something that could be checked. There have been enough reports of similar behavior to see a pattern. Maybe it is just the one connector that Phil refers to - maybe it is more. With all the electronics in the truck, you don't want intermittent connections.

Recoil1

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2017 Escape SE
Had a very similar issue with my truck. It was in the shop just one time, but for a total of 33 days. Issue turned out to be a shorted wire in the main module harness under the fuse box in the engine compartment (I believe it is behind the headlight as well)

Sabasigh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4; 2016 Corvette Stingray

mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercab, Nissan Rogue
I still think these kinds of issues are due to poor connections somewhere in the truck. If it was truly "broken", it wouldn't just "fix itself" (electronics don't self repair- at least not yet). My guess is that the loose connection got a good enough connection after going over a bump or something. It would be nice if Ford investigated reports of this to see if there is some sort of assembly issue or something that could be checked. There have been enough reports of similar behavior to see a pattern. Maybe it is just the one connector that Phil refers to - maybe it is more. With all the electronics in the truck, you don't want intermittent connections.
I bought tbis truck also with a possible eye to the future. If I can manage to get off this rock, I would like to get out west.. Utah or Colorado and enjoy the backcountry like we did a few years back in our Jeep.

Honestly, If I were to have the option now, I doubt I would take the risk. I would hate to get stranded or have to pay a lot of money to have the truck dragged out due to an electrical problem. See how all the issues progress and if my own problem crops up again. I hope it does so it can be identified. Get back home this weekend so I will at least check the drivers side connector.

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd/ 2003 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
I thought thru the lemon you can get a new truck. I would check into it. I'm having electronic problems myself. I have a 2020, my problems started at about 15k miles. Getting it fixed next month thru Ford. Hope to get it fixed I should say

OP
OP
Robert Scott

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Good luck Doogie, Ford bought my truck back. I ordered and received a 2020 in its place. It has been a great truck. it now has 15K miles, no problems.
Sponsored