Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
Hello everyone, first time poster long time lurker. My question is on the 2019 Ranger with power seats, how hard is it to get to the foam/cushion for replacement? I'm the second owner of the Ranger and I have always found the driver seat VERY uncomfortable. When I am driving my right leg starts to hurt, I can actually feel the metal or something pushing on the back of my thigh. My guess is that there is either a wire from the power seats/heated seats that got flipped up out of place, or the padding is shot. At the very least I would like to get in there and take a look to see if I can do something. Does anyone know if I start unplugging things under there or if I remove the seat, will it throw any codes or warnings when I reinstall? Any direction, suggestions, information would be awesome. The other thing I would like to get at in there is a set of backets. The seat when you are getting in/out slides side to side a little bit and it annoys me to no end! As a side note, the passenger seat feels completely fine, and doesn't slide side to side at all.
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
For getting at the foam the factory seat cover should have clip under the seat. Undo those and you can peel the cover off and access the foam cushion. As for the seat moving side to side google FORD TSB 20-2171 . They will clamp a section of hose to the seat pivot. I had the same problem with mine.

seat.PNG

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
For getting at the foam the factory seat cover should have clip under the seat. Undo those and you can peel the cover off and access the foam cushion. As for the seat moving side to side google FORD TSB 20-2171 . They will clamp a section of hose to the seat pivot. I had the same problem with mine.

seat.PNG
Thats exactly where mine slides side to side! I never thought about a piece of hose and a clamp, I can do that myself tonight! As for the clips to get the cover off, do I need to pull the seat to do it? Or can I get it while its bolted in? Will the heated/power seats have anything I shoudl watch for while I am take it apart? Or just kinda watch as you go and all is good? Thank you for the info! Sorry for all the questions, first "newer" vehicle I owned, so I would really hate to damage anything :p

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Thats exactly where mine slides side to side! I never thought about a piece of hose and a clamp, I can do that myself tonight! As for the clips to get the cover off, do I need to pull the seat to do it? Or can I get it while its bolted in? Will the heated/power seats have anything I shoudl watch for while I am take it apart? Or just kinda watch as you go and all is good? Thank you for the info! Sorry for all the questions, first "newer" vehicle I owned, so I would really hate to damage anything :p
With power seats you might have to pull the seat to get the cover off. I doubt a hand could fit past the wiring and motors to get to the right side. I don't have power seats in my Ranger. But usually power seats aren't too hard to get out.

OP
OP
nightgardian

nightgardian

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.atlanticbushcraft.ca
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Classified
With power seats you might have to pull the seat to get the cover off. I doubt a hand could fit past the wiring and motors to get to the right side. I don't have power seats in my Ranger. But usually power seats aren't too hard to get out.
truck won't throw any code if I disconnect the seat plugs to pull the seat? Ran into problems with my Kia (I know different manufacture) when I disconnected the power seats. Had to take it in for them to clear it. I popped it out to clean under the seats with the vacuum and then plugged it back in. Tripped the "service" light and would not go away until it was hooked up and cleared.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

seat.PNG
This has got to be the single most hillbilly engineered solution from the manufacturer I have ever seen...

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
This has got to be the single most hillbilly engineered solution from the manufacturer I have ever seen...
There was a TSB at least as early as 2018 referencing vehicles going back to 2013. What have they changed since 2018? Well, they have updated the TSB at least as recently as July 2021 (TSB 21-2236) to cover the vehicles they built after the TSB. :facepalm:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
truck won't throw any code if I disconnect the seat plugs to pull the seat? Ran into problems with my Kia (I know different manufacture) when I disconnected the power seats. Had to take it in for them to clear it. I popped it out to clean under the seats with the vacuum and then plugged it back in. Tripped the "service" light and would not go away until it was hooked up and cleared.
Probably due to airbags in the seats.

Not sure if the Ranger will throw a code but knowing that airbags are in there warrants extra caution.

Be sure to disconnect the battery and bleed off any remaining juice before disconnecting them.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
There was a TSB at least as early as 2018 referencing vehicles going back to 2013. What have they changed since 2018? Well, they have updated the TSB at least as recently as July 2021 (TSB 21-2236) to cover the vehicles they built after the TSB. :facepalm:

Wow..

You would think they would have at least tried to correct the issue...

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
As long as the power is disconnected before the seat is pulled I don't think it will throw a code. If it does you should be able to reset it yourself with Forscan if you have a laptop and OBD adaptor.

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
It works though i did the TSB myself with some hose and clamps took care of the issue and took 5 minutes to do
Sponsored