Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
OBDII DIY Simple Lock

Seems like Ford diagnostic technicians love to play with OBDII port settings of my new 2019 Ford Ranger.:devil: Other than going out and buying a $50 mechanical key lock, I just installed a < $0.10 colored, wide tie wrap around the port connector with a tie wrap gun. (trying to avoid the common black or white colors) So, if Ford needs/wants to "examine" my/your OBDII port, I/you would just authorize them to just cut the tie wrap so they can play. Then you would know if someone attaches to your OBDII port. ;)
Sponsored

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
If they have access to my truck I have to assume they'll need access to that port. They'll only see my truck for warranty work.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If they have access to my truck I have to assume they'll need access to that port
They (Ford dealership) will have to "write up" a computer diagnostics warranty request to access this port otherwise they are NOT allowed to touch it but I am finding out otherwise. I made it so that I can tell if someone did access this OBDII port. The question is "it doesn't really matter because the vehicle is under a 3 year warranty? True but, changing a few flags might/could cause future problems after the warranty has expired.;) Guess who pays after 3 years.:question:

For instance, a flag could be set limiting the number of keys allowed in the system or vehicle. So after three years, you wanted some extra keys made but the vehicle system is locked out from adding any new keys.
A similar problem happened to me and it costed me hours of
my time for Ford to find their problem.:angry:

Last edited:

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
You’re more likely to need a replacement headliner from the hole your tinfoil hat is rubbing in it than to have an actual problem from anyone accessing your OBD port.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
than to have an actual problem from anyone accessing your OBD port.
My actual problem was I wanted two extra keys made for my Ford Ranger and my vehicle system was preventing any extra keys from being made.The firmware was changed via OBDII port by another tech. I will always keep a watch on that port access by the Ford techs.:wink: Time is money, and I will not waste my time for the diagnostic techs playing with my OBDII port.;)

BTW - hole your tinfoil hat is rubbing comment was very funny. They are always looking for candidates for the comedy channel - you should apply your talents so you can make some real money.:LOL:

Sponsored