Distance from top of hitch to bottom of open tailgate?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Can someone with the factory tow package please measure the distance from the top of the 2" hitch opening to the tailgate in the down position?

I want to order a hitch bike rack for my 2021 ranger which will arrive in Feb. I am taking a road trip asap after delivery and won't have time to measure this before I want to order a rack. I would like to be able to open the tailgate with the rack attached. Some hitch racks are higher than others.

I looked but could not find a thread here, or that measurement anywhere.

Alternatively, anyone using a tray style hitch rack that allows them to open the tailgate ok?

Thank you, Ed
Screenshot 2021-01-07 133223.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

DFisher

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4
I have a 1upUSA rack. Best tray rack you can get in my opinion. Yes you can open the tailgate with the rack on.

OP
OP
EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 1upUSA rack. Best tray rack you can get in my opinion. Yes you can open the tailgate with the rack on.
That rack is one, maybe the only one, that I found that looks to fit with the tailgate open. I have a Kuat Sherpa 2.0 and it would not work, based on the measurements above. I am also looking at the Yakima SingleSpeed, but it looks to tall also. Ditto for the Rockymounts monorail.

Thanks DFisher!
Sponsored