Disappointed with the Lomax Tri-Fold

cactuss4

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
First annoyance was the side rails coming in two parts. The cut (@ 18in from the front of the bed) was not deburred or painted and the plastic coupler kept flexing during install which made doing it my self difficult. Seems like it was done just to reduce shipping costs.

My biggest disappointment overall is it is laughable easy to open the latch with a screwdriver even without prying up on the edges. None of the locking mechanism is protected, the latches have a molded in hole that is a perfect catch for the screw driver, and there are large gaps with the tailgate.

If you are looking for a way of securing your bed, skip the Lomax.
Sponsored

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Thanks for the info, I've been considering one of the Truxedo covers

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I have the Lomax tri-fold on my Ranger with the 6 ft bed. I just went out to look at the installation and I don't really have what is being described. I don't have a gap at the tail gate. In fact, no water gets in the bed at that tailgate upper location when I wash the truck. Can somebody break into the bed with this cover. Absolutely. They pry up on the cover wigh a tool and eventually cause something to give. I don't keep anything of value in the bed so for me not a real concern.

The rails were a pain to install. I did the install by myself and used clamps to hold the rail in position. The Lomax rail clamps however were a pain to get installed.

I'm very happy with my Lomax cover so far.

jdwinter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
The rails were a pain to install. I did the install by myself and used clamps to hold the rail in position. The Lomax rail clamps however were a pain to get installed.
I just did the same tri-fold installation on my 5 foot bed, and I agree that the clamps were real difficult. I have a bit of concern about water at tailgate but I need to address the existing giant gaps at the tailgate first...it's too cold here in MN to leak check right now!
Sponsored