Adarac Pro Rack with Lomax Folding Cover

jdwinter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Yes I am new here, but I thought I could share something I didn't find while delving through this forum. I was looking for a seemingly unique combination of flexibility and security for the bed of my Ranger...and I didn't want to break the bank. While this setup wasn't *cheap* it does seem to check all the boxes:
- hard tonneau cover for security
- easily removeable tonneau cover
- low profile tonneau (and bed rails)
- decent rail capacity (I had a kayak + top case setup on my last vehicle that I wanted the flexibility to recreate)
- ability to use all tonneau folds (or remove completely) without bed rack interference
- could be used with a bed extender for even more cargo shapes/sizes

I ended up going with this setup:
Adarac Pro Series Truck Rack and Lomax Folding Truck Bed Cover Combo (agricover.com)

Installation for the Ranger requires drilling through the bed rail caps, and I found the clamps for the tonneau to be finnicky, but otherwise it wasn't terribly difficult. And you should know that I'm REALLY good at screwing up projects like this...

And here are the pictures!
image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg
Sponsored

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
Thanks for the pictures. Did you leak check it? how water proof, esp the front of the bed? Is the rack system easily removable? I am looking at kayak and fishing pole solutions, this might work.

OP
OP
jdwinter

jdwinter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Thanks for the pictures. Did you leak check it? how water proof, esp the front of the bed? Is the rack system easily removable? I am looking at kayak and fishing pole solutions, this might work.
I haven't leak checked it yet - it's too cold outside here in MN for liquid water! I'll take some pictures of the front of the bed later but I felt pretty good about it during installation. I don't know if perfectly dry is realistic for this setup (first time truck owner...). I am willing to keep working on any leak points and I plan to use tubs when possible since that'll help the load/unload as well. The tailgate still has some huge gaps that I'll need to address but those aren't the fault of the cover.

The uprights and bars should be easy to remove - just a socket wrench (9/16" I think). Maybe that's too easy? I don't know how other brands do it. They're an awkward shape but aren't too heavy. I was able to lift them up and in pretty easily. I expect my truck will live most it's life without the bars on for mpg/noise reasons, I'll just install them before specific trips or errands.

I have mostly two piece fishing poles, but just last year I got a one-piece rod that is really growing on me. I'll have to keep an eye on what you figure out for that!

OP
OP
jdwinter

jdwinter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Alright, here's some more info.

Picture 1 is where the cover meets the front of the bed - and it does seem pretty well sealed up.

Picture 2 is from inside the bed looking forward and up. After poking around for a bit I could find a path big enough for a finger to snake through (red circle)! It isn't a straight path, you can't see daylight, but I'll definitely be addressing it somehow!

Picture 3 is from outside the front of the bed, as if you were entering the driver's side rear door. It isn't as noticeable since it is all dark there, but I've circled where the gap is.

Time to get creative! Putty? Tape? Spray foam? Extra tailgate seal?

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I have mostly two piece fishing poles, but just last year I got a one-piece rod that is really growing on me. I'll have to keep an eye on what you figure out for that!
Thanks for the pics - not decided on fishing and rod solution, but i posted this elsewhere. My sons have the longer one piece rods. plus 2 hobie kayaks, one a 14 ft PA.

ARE rodpod.PNG

MisterEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Crew, 2010 Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Alright, here's some more info.

Picture 1 is where the cover meets the front of the bed - and it does seem pretty well sealed up.

Picture 2 is from inside the bed looking forward and up. After poking around for a bit I could find a path big enough for a finger to snake through (red circle)! It isn't a straight path, you can't see daylight, but I'll definitely be addressing it somehow!

Picture 3 is from outside the front of the bed, as if you were entering the driver's side rear door. It isn't as noticeable since it is all dark there, but I've circled where the gap is.

Time to get creative! Putty? Tape? Spray foam? Extra tailgate seal?

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg
Great design on Ford's part isn't it?? Most of the bed covers seem to come with a foam block with peel and stick adhesive to cover this opening, as well as some vulcanized rubber pieces to fill the small round holes in the bulkhead. I suppose a bit of Flextape, or something similar would do the trick.

viper94bite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
what is the height of your uprights. been looking at the adarac for awhile now but want to clear the antenna if possible. I would go measure but my truck is not with me today.

OP
OP
jdwinter

jdwinter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
what is the height of your uprights. been looking at the adarac for awhile now but want to clear the antenna if possible. I would go measure but my truck is not with me today.
Other than point back to the website I can't help you right now, sorry. I've had the racks off for a bit since I've been doing some longer drives without needing them - I wanted to keep MPG impact down. And the website doesn't make it super obvious - they say, "Height above the box rail: 24 in. for mid-size ".

The pictures in my original post don't exactly show what you're looking for but I think the antenna is a little higher? I wasn't thinking about possible interference since mostly I'll be using it for kayaks that don't attach in the middle...

OP
OP
jdwinter

jdwinter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
I put the racks back on for a job yesterday and remembered to take a picture for you. This angle isn't perfect, but the antenna is 1-2 inches higher.

Adarac Height.jpg
Sponsored