First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I'm ordering a new 2023 as soon as possible and want a 4x4. How much difference is there between the two? Does one ''ride'' better? This will be just a grocery-getter, no ''off-roading'' for me. I'd like to have the best ride available, with the 4x4 power,, if needed. Thanks for looking at this,,,
Bottom line, if it's to be a grocery getter just get an STX or XLT with the standard suspension. If you don't like it then it would cost less to swap to Fox or Bilsteins than it would to buy a whole FX4 or Tremor.

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I may actually do the leaf spring swap first before the shocks (if I can, based on shock length considerations, etc.)., I have been sitting here for like 3 months while I contemplated my upgrade path and have become semi convinced a lot of what people report that is objectionable is likely the way it is sprung, versus shock valving, etc. (there is clearly differences in the shock packages), but I am thinking the spring may yield even bigger rewards.

I probably will send my buddy who has the shock dyno my Fox shocks before I swap them in, so then when I send him the Ranchos, I can compare both traces.
I replaced the front springs with my coilovers. I also have Icon UCAs. The front suspension is excellent. My mistake was using 1" blocks in the rear to keep some rake instead of up grading to multileafs.Its better than stock but does not absorb hits as smooth as the front.

I drove on just the Eibach upgrade 2000 miles before upgrading uca and tires. The Eibachs were by far the greatest improvement. If you have a set of Fox shocks you should install them and see before you commit to more mods IMHO.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I replaced the front springs with my coilovers. I also have Icon UCAs. The front suspension is excellent. My mistake was using 1" blocks in the rear to keep some rake instead of up grading to multileafs.Its better than stock but does not absorb hits as smooth as the front.

I drove on just the Eibach upgrade 2000 miles before upgrading uca and tires. The Eibachs were by far the greatest improvement. If you have a set of Fox shocks you should install them and see before you commit to more mods IMHO.
I understand what you are saying and it makes sense. For me, I really like to dissect things. I know myself well enough to know that what I will end up with is the Tremor spring package anyway, so maybe taking a little different path to the end point may yield something interesting. My end point is basically to mimic the Tremor level setup and suspension spec as close as feasible without going crazy.

I have a theory most of the objectionable ride in non-Tremor setup is the rear spring packs, so to see if my thinking is right. want to go first to the springs. I will have my buddy dyno both the Fox and Rancho shocks so I can see what the difference in valving/fade, etc. might be, but that is mainly just for my edification, as in the end I will be close to a Tremor, on K02's, when all is done.

First though, I will need those AMP steps as until my hip is fully healed and I have those steps, I will be driving the Highlander. :curse:

ArchitectThom

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Architect
I might be uniquely qualified here.

I have had two of the newest generation Rangers.

I just traded in a 2019 XLT 2x4 Sport that I had for two years this past June. I now have a 2022 Lariat FX4. So, I've had a 2-wheel drive and now a 4-wheel drive.

One of the first things I noticed about my new rig is the somewhat softer ride it has vs. my 2019. Bumps are not as big a deal.

However... a 4x4 with the FX4 comes with PERCEIVED decreased power. Of course, the power is the same. Same exact engine. But the Lariat FX4 4x4 weighs a few hundred pounds more and you CAN feel it in the truck's quickness. My 2x4 used to amaze me with it's quickness off the line. That quickness is still there with my 4x4... but not QUITE as quick.

As far as the ride goes, though, my FX4, I think, rides nicer over bumps. On the highway? Probably a tiny bit more floaty (and my 2019 was already fairly floaty).

But the floatiness never bothers me. It simply reminds me I'm driving a truck. I never feel out of control. I never feel less connected to the road. It's just a different feel.

Just my two cents.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
I really don't need any skid plates, a locked rear end, or much at all,,,,, it looks like a standard 4x4 or a Tremor will be fine for me. I do however want a NICE ride, as this will be one of the last vehicles I'll buy. Maybe get a standard 4x4 and some new shocks? Say Fox or Eibach?
My plan is to get new shocks when the originals get too worn. Until then the ride is pleasant enough for me.

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I don't exclusively shop ARB/OME so I pretty much disregard Frenchy's sales pitches.

Dude is 78. When I'm 78 I'll probably be done with modding my vehicles. That's why I said Tremor.
Trust me on this one Doug, stay in shape, you will still be modding, or t least, debating about the mods others are doing. ;)

Not speaking of experience yet, but soon enough. :)

OP
OP

widetrax

First Name
lester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 ranger lariat tremor... 2022 maverick lariat
Occupation
retired
I got the 2021 XLT Sport 4WD with 302A and tech package. I actually like the ride it has from factory, as it's a pavement princess much like you describe yours will be. The factory suspension is way better than what I had in my 2019 2WD XLT...a twitch more stiff but not bone-jarring on pavement bumps and speed humps in all the parking lots we have here. I don't know how much closer the truck could BE to a Lariat as I've never owned one of those, but it has plenty of stuff in it I like and some that I don't even use ( or use properly probably).

Again, get what you can afford and think you'll like. Drive a couple and see/feel the differences in interior furnishings and check the ride of all of them you can...and then buy what feels good on you.

We'll be excited to see your pics and hear of your adventures.
I might be uniquely qualified here.

I have had two of the newest generation Rangers.

I just traded in a 2019 XLT 2x4 Sport that I had for two years this past June. I now have a 2022 Lariat FX4. So, I've had a 2-wheel drive and now a 4-wheel drive.

One of the first things I noticed about my new rig is the somewhat softer ride it has vs. my 2019. Bumps are not as big a deal.

However... a 4x4 with the FX4 comes with PERCEIVED decreased power. Of course, the power is the same. Same exact engine. But the Lariat FX4 4x4 weighs a few hundred pounds more and you CAN feel it in the truck's quickness. My 2x4 used to amaze me with it's quickness off the line. That quickness is still there with my 4x4... but not QUITE as quick.

As far as the ride goes, though, my FX4, I think, rides nicer over bumps. On the highway? Probably a tiny bit more floaty (and my 2019 was already fairly floaty).

But the floatiness never bothers me. It simply reminds me I'm driving a truck. I never feel out of control. I never feel less connected to the road. It's just a different feel.

Just my two cents.
I have now decided to order a new Tremor in a few weeks ??? or as soon as possible. It appears tobe the best one available
Sponsored