First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
I tried being a "Farmer Brown" once Doc. But, by the time I kept every thing watered, fertilized, and sprayed to keep the dang bugs from eating before it was ready to pick, I found I could just stop by the local farmers market and buy it cheaper. I'm guessing I really didn't know what I was doing. :)

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
I tried being a "Farmer Brown" once Doc. But, by the time I kept every thing watered, fertilized, and sprayed to keep the dang bugs from eating before it was ready to pick, I found I could just stop by the local farmers market and buy it cheaper. I'm guessing I really didn't know what I was doing. :)
Actually the grow bags keep the produce off the ground ...less bugs .

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Looks like your parsleys are not enjoying the gig with the tomatoes.

Anyway, they're in better shape than mine.

DSC_0471.JPG

P.S. I used to be a real green finger, but that was before paint remover.
Parsley is OK ...

E8135470-3675-47EB-B595-480848715642.jpeg

KNI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2021
It's the economy of scale working against you. Single plant, 10 plants, 100 plants.. all take the same effort. Makes you wonder why put all the effort for few pounds of tomatoes. No point really, unless you're really into it or have plenty of resources (mainly time) to do it.

Scale it up from there 1000 tomatoes, 10000 trees, 100000 lettuce, million seedlings, 10 million grain and it changes the game to... work&profit. And then you got a motivation to do it, instead of just passing on watering some store bough parsley which you can replace on the next trip.

Have to tip hat to people like Doc here who are willing to put in that extra effort and patience for such brief benefit.

P.S. Looking at the grocery app for 12MTD.. 23% of my veggie purchases have been tomatoes (13%) or cherry tomatoes (10%) :)

OP
OP
Doc

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's the economy of scale working against you. Single plant, 10 plants, 100 plants.. all take the same effort. Makes you wonder why put all the effort for few pounds of tomatoes. No point really, unless you're really into it or have plenty of resources (mainly time) to do it.

Scale it up from there 1000 tomatoes, 10000 trees, 100000 lettuce, million seedlings, 10 million grain and it changes the game to... work&profit. And then you got a motivation to do it, instead of just passing on watering some store bough parsley which you can replace on the next trip.

Have to tip hat to people like Doc here who are willing to put in that extra effort and patience for such brief benefit.

P.S. Looking at the grocery app for 12MTD.. 23% of my veggie purchases have been tomatoes (13%) or cherry tomatoes (10%) :)
Just for the Aesthetic Value :)
and I love tomato’s that taste like Tomato’s !

Last edited: