First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
So I reached out to DGM tailgate support and they said that since there was not much of a demand for the Ranger they were not going to provide one at this time.
Are they the only game in town? Will I basically have to make my own if I want something like that?

Their response - Mind you it wasn't snarky just kinda disappointing -

Darrell,
At this time we do not have plans of making them for the Rangers. There just has not been much interest for them.
I am not saying that we will not eventually make them later this year but right now we havent put much effort into it.
Thank you for the interest,
Scott

D
Sponsored

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
heck I've got a few welding machines here at work...I'd actually like to do a pair myself I think. :)

Bdubjax

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Supercrew Lariat FX4
Occupation
System administrator
Curious what you ended up doing. I need to put 900ish pounds on mine and want to have reinforcement.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Some of my previous trucks have had tailgate supports made with flat steel stock with a hinge at each end and another hinge in the middle, instead of the cables on the Ranger, so this is an interesting idea. My owner's manual says that the maximum permissible tailgate load is 485 pounds, and that the cargo tie-down points in the bed are rated for 661 pounds each. What do you suppose the load capacities of the tailgate latch and striker could be?

I understand that it is easier to visually assess the current state of wear and probability of failure of a steel bar than a crimped cable obscured by heat-shrink tubing, but the points of failure for the latch and striker are completely hidden from view, and of undisclosed strength to begin with. My vote is for the cables, even if they have to be replaced at some point in time due to heavy use and/or corrosion.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
So I reached out to DGM tailgate support and they said that since there was not much of a demand for the Ranger they were not going to provide one at this time.
Are they the only game in town? Will I basically have to make my own if I want something like that?

Their response - Mind you it wasn't snarky just kinda disappointing -

Darrell,
At this time we do not have plans of making them for the Rangers. There just has not been much interest for them.
I am not saying that we will not eventually make them later this year but right now we havent put much effort into it.
Thank you for the interest,
Scott

D
After looking up what they are even if you gabbed them up yourself it’s not all that difficult to do.

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
well I decided to give it a shot and for the past...I guess 7 trips to the national forest and other locations no issues have been noted with my tailgate and the factory cables. its a Suzuki King Quad 400 so its not a monster but probably what...say 350 or so sitting on the tailgate...I'm still going to get a trailer though...I prefer it over putting it in my bed for visibility issues.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
well I decided to give it a shot and for the past...I guess 7 trips to the national forest and other locations no issues have been noted with my tailgate and the factory cables. its a Suzuki King Quad 400 so its not a monster but probably what...say 350 or so sitting on the tailgate...I'm still going to get a trailer though...I prefer it over putting it in my bed for visibility issues.
Suzuki King Quad 400: 628 lbs with an overall length 85 inches.

Do the rear tires of the quad sit on the tailgate once loaded?

Maximum load of the tailgate is 485 lbs, per the manual... that's a static load rating, not a dynamic load rating (conservative assumption on my part). If you're driving with the quad wheels sitting on the tailgate... that's scary. When you hit a bump in the road the weight the tailgate experiences increases... based on the severity of the bump.

Fixtures to secure loads for over the road conditions that I've designed in the past have used a 3X multiplier.

Assuming 685 lbs/2 = 343 lbs static weight on tailgate. 342.5 lbs x 3 = 1,027 lbs dynamic load on tailgate. Of course there is more to it than this simple equation to determine load on the tailgate such as when the quad is being loaded, due to length / incline of ramps, etc.

Last edited:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Suzuki King Quad 400: 628 lbs with an overall length 85 inches.

Do the rear tires of the quad sit on the tailgate once loaded?

Maximum load of the tailgate is 485 lbs, per the manual... that's a static load rating, not a dynamic load rating (conservative assumption on my part). If you're driving with the quad wheels sitting on the tailgate... that's scary. When you hit a bump in the road the weight the tailgate experiences increases... based on the severity of the bump.

Fixtures to secure loads for over the road conditions that I've designed in the past have used a 3X multiplier.

Assuming 685 lbs/2 = 343 lbs static weight on tailgate. 342.5 lbs x 3 = 1,027 lbs dynamic load on tailgate. Of course there is more to it than this simple equation to determine load on the tailgate such as when the quad is being loaded, due to length / incline of ramps, etc.
I think that you can probably fix this with a bed-length removable plywood platform that cantilevers over the tailgate. Whatever weight is forward will have a lot of leverage to suspend the rear weight above the tailgate. Assuming adequate tie-downs, you could rig it so the tailgate is bearing no weight at all during transport.

Or buy a nice trailer with a loading ramp on the back.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I think that you can probably fix this with a bed-length removable plywood platform that cantilevers over the tailgate. Whatever weight is forward will have a lot of leverage to suspend the rear weight above the tailgate. Assuming adequate tie-downs, you could rig it so the tailgate is bearing no weight at all during transport.

Or buy a nice trailer with a loading ramp on the back.
Or better yet, a small tilt bed trailer.

Ranger and Tilt Bed Trailer.JPG

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
And another thing worth mentioning... just because you replace the cables with a steel strap in no way means you have increased the load capacity of the tailgate...

Taco anyone?

Taco Tailgate.png

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm planning on getting a pair of 2x12s to park my wheeler on when it's in the truck. That will take a great deal of weight off the gate.

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Process Professional
hmm...the 2x12's sound like a sweet idea...but I'm still more angling for a trailer...just easier overall I think.