First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab
Occupation
Chief Maintenance Engineer
Is anybody using cross bed toolboxes. Thoughts? Trying to decide...
Sponsored

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
Is anybody using cross bed toolboxes. Thoughts? Trying to decide...
Mine came with one. Drove it for a week with it on and decided to remove it and installed a lowmax hard folding tonneau cover.

I looked for a tonneau cover that works with the tool box but didn't find one for the Ranger. My idea was to use the cross bed with the rear tool boxes, and a soft tonneau cover just to hide crap knowing it wouldn't be especially secure.

To that end, I may just attempt to make my own folding soft tonneau to work with a cross bed tool box.

FYI, this is my 4th Ranger and the previous 3 had both folding tonneau covers (liked the Paragon the most) and soft shell tops (liked Softopper better than Bestop, but added a window in the right side for blind spot) that I could switch back and forth from.

OP
OP
RangerJohn

RangerJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab
Occupation
All the trucks I have had for a long time I have had a cover on, usually a soft tri-fold. My last truck I bought a hard folding cover for. I'll never do that again. So with the ranger I thought I would try an open bed with a toolbox. No thanks on the swing boxes. So that leaves a cross bed box or a bed box. I would prefer a shallow cross bed box but haven't found the right one yet. Lowe's has one but it is very thin..but it's cheap...lol For now I bought a cheap black & yellow tote for the bed.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have one on mine. It's the matte black Craftsman with the buttons on the sides and it looks like it came on the truck. Lowe's has them for $250 if I remember right. The big Craftsman badge was gaudy and crooked on mine so I peeled it off. I did have to put waterproof tape over the long mounting slots where the bolt washers didn't cover to keep water out in the automatic car wash.

There are three things to share on this: first, my box was not "rigged," i.e. the lid was not adjusted so that the seal was tight all the way around. I had to loosen the two latch bolts and adjust them down to get it to seal. Also, the j bolts that come with the box are garbage. I ordered two sets of four aluminum block and bolt brackets off Ebay and so there are eight bolts holding the box on the truck. Finally, big washers are your friends. The bigger the washer under each bolt head the better the hold.

0706201636a.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
RangerJohn

RangerJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Supercab
Occupation
I saw that one at Lowe's. That's probably the one I will end up with. My F-150 I traded in I kept a box in the back seat for my straps and misc stuff.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
I have one on mine. It's the matte black Craftsman with the buttons on the sides and it looks like it came on the truck. Lowe's has them for $250 if I remember right. The big Craftsman badge was gaudy and crooked on mine so I peeled it off. I did have to put waterproof tape over the long mounting slots where the bolt washers didn't cover to keep water out in the automatic car wash.

There are three things to share on this: first, my box was not "rigged," i.e. the lid was not adjusted so that the seal was tight all the way around. I had to loosen the two latch bolts and adjust them down to get it to seal. Also, the j bolts that come with the box are garbage. I ordered two sets of four aluminum block and bolt brackets off Ebay and so there are eight bolts holding the box on the truck. Finally, big washers are your friends. The bigger the washer under each bolt head the better the hold.

0706201636a.jpg
That looks much like the Ford box that came on my Ranger, but they charge a lot more for it! I like the idea of the cross bed box but would rather cover the rest of the bed. I have found covers for other pickups with cross bed boxes, but not for the Ranger. I still have the stuff from my old Ranger and at some point, I'll try to modify something to fit. But, that's a future project.

Just ordered the swinging boxes since they should work fine with my folding hard cover. I'm trying to move as much out of the cab as I can but maintain some security.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
That looks much like the Ford box that came on my Ranger, but they charge a lot more for it! I like the idea of the cross bed box but would rather cover the rest of the bed. I have found covers for other pickups with cross bed boxes, but not for the Ranger. I still have the stuff from my old Ranger and at some point, I'll try to modify something to fit. But, that's a future project.

Just ordered the swinging boxes since they should work fine with my folding hard cover. I'm trying to move as much out of the cab as I can but maintain some security.
Yeah, they charge more for everything. Their splash guards cost a hundred bucks!

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks

0706201636a.jpg
Do you have a link or picture of the bolts/aluminum blocks so that I know what to order? What kind of waterproof tape as well? Just trying not to reinvent the wheel since you clearly have this down pat. Thank you!

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
I thought I would buy a new black one for my grey truck but decide to move over the low profile silver Husky box from my Tacoma. I have owned several brands of boxes over the year and am happy with build quality on the Husky. The black boxes look great new but the black quickly fades in Fla sun, plus you can cook an egg on them in July.

Local auto parts stores I tried did not carry the no-damage box mounts, but if you have an Amazon prime account there are several brands available. I think I paid $12 and had them in a day.

LLBCharge

First Name
LLB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Facility Manager

0706201636a.jpg
Old post I know but do you still have access to your rear tiedowns with this toolbox?

spieghts451

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger xlt supercrew
Occupation
Welder

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
UWS 63" models fit well and don't have the awkward sloping sides of some models. Mounting, oddly was the hardest part since the plastic bed rail caps hang lower than the actual bed rails and get in the way. The J bolts that came with the box tightened at a weird angle, so I used some aluminum mounts from Amazon that I had to cut down, so they wouldn't tighten into the bottom of the box and not grip the rails correctly.
There is 9" under the box. I have a 6' bed.
6vWtjDF.jpg

7lr2fZt.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
UWS makes a great tool box. I had one in my F 150's for years but they were the drop in style, not one that laid on top of the bed rails. I liked this style better because you can still use a tonneau cover and if needed they're easy to take the box out. Not sure if they still have them but mine had folding handles on the sides which were great because I would take the box into the jobs at times and was easier to carry this way.

https://www.uwsta.com/utility-chest-boxes/under-tonneau

Under_Tonneau_Cover_Tool_Boxes.jpg
Sponsored