Coolant pump belt alignment

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I noticed this last night while exploring my engine bay. The accessory drive belt runs right at the edge of the coolant pump pulley. From what I read in the service documents, the belt should be centered on the pulley surface. The belt stays in the same position when the engine is running. For those of you with more than my measly 400 miles on the odometer, does the belt shift forward on this pulley as it wears-in, or is this something that needs to be addressed immediately?
Coolant pump belt alignment.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
I had the luck to be passing by the Ford dealer this afternoon. The technician that looked at it said that every 2.3 in their shop looks the same way, regardless of what vehicle it is in. I told him that if the belt moves even the tiniest bit toward the engine, it will be destroyed. His response - "They never move." So, that will be good enough for now. I am still concerned, but doesn't seem like an immediate problem. I will return to it when I have more time.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
I have 20k on my truck and it’s been in that spot since day one. It’s just how the drive system is meant to be aligned. I wouldn’t consider it any point of concern. Hope that helps!

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I noticed this last night while exploring my engine bay. The accessory drive belt runs right at the edge of the coolant pump pulley. From what I read in the service documents, the belt should be centered on the pulley surface. The belt stays in the same position when the engine is running. For those of you with more than my measly 400 miles on the odometer, does the belt shift forward on this pulley as it wears-in, or is this something that needs to be addressed immediately?
Coolant pump belt alignment.jpeg
The belt cannot move. It is pretty much impossible. Those grooves you see in the belt ride in grooves in other pulleys.
Sponsored