Clearcoat?

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
Question for the Ranger braintrust…my Ranger’s color is clearcoat rapid red. Great looking color, that I didn’t choose (I was interested in the model and specs and would have taken pretty much any color). So…is there anything special (or truly meaningful) about the use of the word ‘clearcoat’? Is it more durable, just shinier, does it last forever?

My (cynical) take is that it was a way for Ford to add a few hundred $$ to the cost. Am I right or is there real value in it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
mrtimo

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
if you're referring to the tinted clearcoat in the description it means just that.
its another process to make the paint look richer, deeper, and just stand out over a standard clearcoat application.
hence the added cost when you choose the color.
Thanks - so it’s more than a standard clearcoat application. Good to know.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
You don't need to do anything special, just wax it once in a while. I hit my vehicles with a clay bar in the spring and wax them 4 or 5 times a year.

OP
OP
mrtimo

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to do anything special, just wax it once in a while. I hit my vehicles with a clay bar in the spring and wax them 4 or 5 times a year.
Ha - thanks - I’m generally too lazy to wash/clean/polish. Never waxed a vehicle I’m my life. This clearcoat seems like a good reason to not change that habit.

<Retreats to flame-proof bunker…>

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Ha - thanks - I’m generally too lazy to wash/clean/polish. Never waxed a vehicle I’m my life. This clearcoat seems like a good reason to not change that habit.

I'm the opposite, obviously, but clearcoat leaves the paint more protected for those low-maintenance folks.
Keeping my rigs clean is my hobby. Give me nice weather, a can of wax, several good craft beers, and a quality cigar* or two and I'm perfectly happy all afternoon. Enough beers and pretty soon I'm doing the engine with Armor All and Q-tips.

*NUB Habano 460, La Gloria Cubana Serie R, La Aroma De Cuba, or anything from Rocky Patel.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Most all paint applications on new vehicles these days is a clear coat type paint.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Question for the Ranger braintrust…my Ranger’s color is clearcoat rapid red. Great looking color, that I didn’t choose (I was interested in the model and specs and would have taken pretty much any color). So…is there anything special (or truly meaningful) about the use of the word ‘clearcoat’? Is it more durable, just shinier, does it last forever?

My (cynical) take is that it was a way for Ford to add a few hundred $$ to the cost. Am I right or is there real value in it?
Automotive paint use to be a single stage enamel process then single stage urethanes became popular during the 80's . These were one shot applications that used a catalyst mixed in to cure or harden the paint . You could sand and buff imperfections out as the color was all the way through from top to bottom . By the mid 90's most all had switched over to a basecoat that was the color with a clearcoat urethane topcoat that had the catalyst to provide a hard finish . Colors like the Rapid Red have a mid-coat that is basically clearcoat with a tint and possibly some pearl added to provide more depth to the final color . The House of Kolor brand of Kandy paints have used this for decades to give that rich deep wet look . That extra mid-coat step is why the added cost.

OP
OP
mrtimo

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm the opposite, obviously, but clearcoat leaves the paint more protected for those low-maintenance folks.
Keeping my rigs clean is my hobby. Give me nice weather, a can of wax, several good craft beers, and a quality cigar* or two and I'm perfectly happy all afternoon. Enough beers and pretty soon I'm doing the engine with Armor All and Q-tips.

*NUB Habano 460, La Gloria Cubana Serie R, La Aroma De Cuba, or anything from Rocky Patel.
Now that plan could definitely sway my thinking. I still think I’d drink one or two extra beers and skip the engine cleaning :cool:

OP
OP
mrtimo

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Automotive paint use to be a single stage enamel process then single stage urethanes became popular during the 80's . These were one shot applications that used a catalyst mixed in to cure or harden the paint . You could sand and buff imperfections out as the color was all the way through from top to bottom . By the mid 90's most all had switched over to a basecoat that was the color with a clearcoat urethane topcoat that had the catalyst to provide a hard finish . Colors like the Rapid Red have a mid-coat that is basically clearcoat with a tint and possibly some pearl added to provide more depth to the final color . The House of Kolor brand of Kandy paints have used this for decades to give that rich deep wet look . That extra mid-coat step is why the added cost.
Appreciate the history and explanation - thanks. Sounds like this application of the clear coat is perfect for those like me with a cleaning phobia/aversion.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I think it's called a tri-coat paint color. I know my 2003 Mountaineer has it... it's almost like a white pearlescent. Finish has held up very nice. Everytime I've had any touch up body work done on it, it cost more because it's a tri-coat color.

Along with manufacturing aluminum caps, we're a dealer for Jeraco fiberglass caps and there are about 5 or 6 paint codes that they have an upcharge on the paint because they are tri-coat. I don't remember though any of the Ranger paint codes being on that list... now curious, I'll look tomorrow when I get to the office.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Most all paint applications on new vehicles these days is a clear coat type paint.
They have been using base/clear paint systems since the 80s.

The extra cost paints Ford offers are a tri coat system. The base coat, tinted mid coat and clear top coat.

They look great but are a bitch to match if you need to do repairs. The mid coat can change the overall color by how heavy it is applied.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

Finally! A person I can relate to. :clap: :crackup:

OP
OP
mrtimo

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I just had an awesome idea…next time I’m in PA how about I bring the ales and cigars (and wax). We both get to drink n smoke, and you get the pleasure of keeping another rig clean.

Wolfman00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 fx4
my last two tacomas were whats called barcelona red- they had a red clearcoat, similar to rapid red. from what i was told (from a body shop) its a real pain to blend. the clear also looked like blood.
Sponsored