First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
You go to Gillette stadium events on every other Thursday? Some amazing rides at that one
I go up there about 3 times a year. It a little further than I want to drive to every other week. But on a nice night they will have over 2000 cars there.

My weekly cruse nights are Friday's at Walmart in Halifax and Sunday mornings at the waterfront in Plymouth.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
But yes, generally cars and coffee events turn out a lot more stuff more modern than clapped out novas and kit cars.

I know I make my fair share of boomer jokes, but any show that has "classic" in the name or the crowd clearly identifies as collecting social security I usually won't bother entering, just spectate.
It is a pretty well know fact that folks are attracted to the vehicles that they dreamed about as a kid. So for me as some one that identifies as collecting social security the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s are what I am most interested in. Even though I owned several late model performance cars over the past 30 years I am most attracted to muscle cars. I also like looking at and talking to the owners of kit cars. The commitment to building one impresses me enough to start building one myself.

These are my two toys; A 68 Barracuda that I have owned for 25 years and a Factory Five Racing 33 Speedstar kit car that I am currently building. My Ranger is my daily driver and likely will never be in a cruise night or car show.

FB_IMG_1662661380259.jpg

IMG_20230112_112410158.jpg

OP
OP
OFC Ranger

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
It is a pretty well know fact that folks are attracted to the vehicles that they dreamed about as a kid. So for me as some one that identifies as collecting social security the muscle cars of the 60s and 70s are what I am most interested in. Even though I owned several late model performance cars over the past 30 years I am most attracted to muscle cars. I also like looking at and talking to the owners of kit cars. The commitment to building one impresses me enough to start building one myself.

These are my two toys; A 68 Barracuda that I have owned for 25 years and a Factory Five Racing 33 Speedstar kit car that I am currently building. My Ranger is my daily driver and likely will never be in a cruise night or car show.

FB_IMG_1662661380259.jpg

IMG_20230112_112410158.jpg
Don't get wrong idea, nothing wrong with those from that thought processes. I should clarify, I stay away from entering such events with a majority "classic" turn out with a newer vehicle because quite frankly, the judges are of the same frame of mind as you more than likely and won't judge impartially based on work load. A lot of us on here put in just as much hands on work as the muscle guys, or more, but most of it is hidden from view or the viewer is just ignorant of what is involved, or what they are even looking at.

This is where the old school way of judges walking around and actually getting to know the owner and vehicle prior to scoring really meant something.

Now judges just see an old shell with shiny paint and "herr derr" a make-believe number. Muscle guys who put hands on work deserve the credit, but we both know a lot of people are farming out the labor, which basically amounts to a guy buying a brand new lambo and entering in a car show and winning.

At this car show there was some old looking Packard, real sharp, from the paint to the interior. A popular mediocre condition mustang fastback of a certain date range (do I even need to mention it?) beat him out for no obvious reason.

RDJTX

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger 2023 Ford Edge 1995 Cobra
Occupation
IT Demi-God
when I was back east my 95 Mustang cobra had 100k on the clock but I took good care of it. I decided to take it to a show in New Jersey. got is all ready to do and drove it up from DC. Spent the night in a no tell motel close to where the show was going to be. got up in the morning and it was foggy as hell. made up some soapy water in the room trash can gave the car a quick run down to get the bugs off and drove to the show. used some quick detailer and called it done.

Show went as expected and when they started handing out the awards it was typical, Peoples choice when to the prettiest garage queen, the other awards were pretty much the same garage queens winning the various categories etc.

it became obvious my car was not going to get any attention so me and a few others decided to head out. The announcer said saw us and said we might want to stick around a bit longer as they were done so we hung around for just a bit. The announced the "Dealers choice awards" and yours truly won 2nd place. THAT award means more that all the others .. because it was judged by people who appreciated a well taken care of and driven car. won a set of 4 17" High performance tires for it too

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
it became obvious my car was not going to get any attention so me and a few others decided to head out. The announcer said saw us and said we might want to stick around a bit longer as they were done so we hung around for just a bit. The announced the "Dealers choice awards" and yours truly won 2nd place. THAT award means more that all the others .. because it was judged by people who appreciated a well taken care of and driven car. won a set of 4 17" High performance tires for it too
That's the thing, my daily driven rides are cleaner in most respects than a lot of peoples' garage queen classics.
My old Sport Trac at Carlisle in 2019, it had 180,000 miles on it at the time.

ST 08 Carlisle.jpg

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Don't get wrong idea, nothing wrong with those from that thought processes. I should clarify, I stay away from entering such events with a majority "classic" turn out with a newer vehicle because quite frankly, the judges are of the same frame of mind as you more than likely and won't judge impartially based on work load. A lot of us on here put in just as much hands on work as the muscle guys, or more, but most of it is hidden from view or the viewer is just ignorant of what is involved, or what they are even looking at.

This is where the old school way of judges walking around and actually getting to know the owner and vehicle prior to scoring really meant something.

Now judges just see an old shell with shiny paint and "herr derr" a make-believe number. Muscle guys who put hands on work deserve the credit, but we both know a lot of people are farming out the labor, which basically amounts to a guy buying a brand new lambo and entering in a car show and winning.

At this car show there was some old looking Packard, real sharp, from the paint to the interior. A popular mediocre condition mustang fastback of a certain date range (do I even need to mention it?) beat him out for no obvious reason.
Gee, the judged shows I attend there are classes so a late model vehicle would never be judged against an older vehicle and stock vehicles are not judged against modified vehicles. Best in show will be selected from the class winners.

To be quite frank I don't go to car shows with the idea of winning a trophy. It is a social event for me and I am never near my car when the judges come by. Quite often I go with my club and park with the club so I am not even with the other vehicles in my class. I suspect my car does not even get looked at by the judges. I know there are people that will not leave their vehicle until the judges come by and try to influence them.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
This is so out of control in South Florida. I don't care for any type of activity where the people are walking in between the cars in traffic. I's just an accident waiting to happen.
Ditto Chicagoland.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Gee, the judged shows I attend there are classes so a late model vehicle would never be judged against an older vehicle and stock vehicles are not judged against modified vehicles. Best in show will be selected from the class winners.

To be quite frank I don't go to car shows with the idea of winning a trophy. It is a social event for me and I am never near my car when the judges come by. Quite often I go with my club and park with the club so I am not even with the other vehicles in my class. I suspect my car does not even get looked at by the judges. I know there are people that will not leave their vehicle until the judges come by and try to influence them.
Same here although many of the shows are not judged or if they are, it's optional.
I go to the Ford Nationals in Carlisle every year and the judging goes by class and you vote on your own class plus some similar classes, for example I get a voting sheet for all the trucks but not Mustangs and Torinos. I never won anything but I don't care, that's not why I go.
Got my reservation in this year but now I have a relative in hospice care so I might have to miss it, depending.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
While we’re at it, organizations (e.g. Shriners) that collect money in buckets at busy intersections has to stop. I prefer a rigged car show to that.
We don't really have that stuff around here. The fire fighters sometimes hang outside the grocery stores with the old boot gig.
we just have bums and panhandlers around here at virtually any traffic light that backs up more that a few cars in the left turn lanes. i would prefer absolutely nobody hitting me up as i groove along to the spice girls, tapping the beat on the steering wheel. it's an invasion of my space....
Sponsored