First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Way OT, but I've got a serious question. I've noticed this trend over the last few years. But why not just say "My wife/girlfriend/fiance?"
Could mean boyfriend in this identified LBGTQ age. "Partner" has less connotation of a committed romantic relationship to me.

I Identify as a Heterosexual Independent Christian
Sponsored

OP
OP
Hickesy

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
Way OT, but I've got a serious question. I've noticed this trend over the last few years. But why not just say "My wife/girlfriend/fiance?"

Anytime I hear this I have to go through a mental checklist. Business partner? Hunting partner? Wheeling partner?
Yep fair enough, I'm not sure why I didn't say "missus" modern times and all that...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Could mean boyfriend in this identified LBGTQ age. "Partner" has less connotation of a committed romantic relationship to me.

For sure that's a possibilty. But when he referred to his "partner" as "she," and I looked at his name, that did not seem to be the case.
Yep fair enough, I'm not sure why I didn't say "missus" modern times and all that...
I usually call my wife, my "old lady."

Is that still hip with modern times?

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
"I have the last word in my house...Usually it's 'Yes Dear!'"-Tim Allen

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

Anytime I hear this I have to go through a mental checklist. Business partner? Hunting partner? Wheeling partner?
Because your partner can be someone of the same sex as you, or opposite, or any one of the 38 other genders. It's easier to just say my partner to cover all bases.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Because your partner can be someone of the same sex as you, or opposite, or any one of the 38 other genders. It's easier to just say my partner to cover all bases.
Can your "partner" be all of those things at once?

Why the ambiguity?

It would be totally understandable if a person's significant other actually was the same sex, or some sort of gender nuetral non hex code person.

But the majority of the time I hear it it's some woke chic talking about her old man. Or some dude with a man bun talking about his girlfriend. Why go through so much trouble just to avoid a heteronormative term?

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired

Knight

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher

Partner in crime is what I always think of ...

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Can your "partner" be all of those things at once?

Why the ambiguity?

It would be totally understandable if a person's significant other actually was the same sex, or some sort of gender nuetral non hex code person.

But the majority of the time I hear it it's some woke chic talking about her old man. Or some dude with a man bun talking about his girlfriend. Why go through so much trouble just to avoid a heteronormative term?
Not only am I not a "non hex code person" but I'm also non Torx person, I strip those things out all the time ... gimme a real nut and bolt! No Austin Power's innuendos intended! =p

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Hello, my partner is an Archaeologist and is struggling to track down which year/what Ford vehicle this lighting switch is from. The etched words say "BAT/DIM/OFF/ON/MAG and there's a Ford logo beneath. Thanks in advance.
1660255090148.png
1660255073199.png
Phil looks like a job for you
Sponsored