First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
I used to carry the plastic rotopax on my 4Runner when on long off road trips, but they would swell in the heat or changing elevation. Nothing ever broke or leaked but it wasn’t the best feeling seeing a ballooned gas can attached to my vehicle. For my ranger I’m gonna need to figure out a way to mount metal Jerry cans.
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
This all makes me glad I don't off-road. Too many toys/tools you just gotta have!

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
In reference to our upcoming travel trailer purchase, and the expected 10 mpg many of you have posted about while towing, do any of you carry an extra container of gas with you ?
We do a lot of our traveling on secondary roads and US tagged roadways, and in our motor home with a 55 gallon tank, haven't had any problems finding fuel. But with the Ranger's 180-200 mile range while towing, I'm thinking ahead.
What about you members that boondock and overland...do you carry an extra 5 gallons with you ? And, if you do, what type of really good container do you use. Obviously, would be kept in the bed.
Would only carry when on the road...not for everyday around town use.
You don't say what you are towing, but with my Scamp travel trailer, I seldom get less than twice the mileage you mentioned above. Still , two plastic Jerry Cans strapped together would work great and being strapped together should keep them upright.
They would make a small footprint for their volume. Remember the depth of your box if you have a cover/lid on it

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You don't say what you are towing, but with my Scamp travel trailer, I seldom get less than twice the mileage you mentioned above. Still , two plastic Jerry Cans strapped together would work great and being strapped together should keep them upright.
They would make a small footprint for their volume. Remember the depth of your box if you have a cover/lid on it
We have a Jayco 24RL on order...delivery anytime between August when we ordered it and possibly the end of Nov.
Many here have indicated mpg around 10 mpg or so, a bit more, a bit less....whatever it is it is.
Thats around 180 to maybe 200 miles. Many, many of the back roads we have traveled on have long streches without town, gas stations are hit and miss. Places in western and northwestern Canada you can easily go 200 miles between open stations.
Just want to carry a few gallons as a safety margin.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.danholmesphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Super Cab, 2019 Mazda 3 hatch,
Occupation
Photographer
Saw that one on Amazon...one I'm thinking about getting.
I have the 20 and 10 liter NATO cans, and am glad to have them. But they should be outside in the bed or on a rack, not inside a shell or topper - they aren't super air tight. Got mine at Gear Heads in Moab. This 20 is for water, but the gas can fits fine. After 16 years of super life, the Xterra is getting replaced by an XLT FX4.
Jerry Cans.jpg

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
We have a Jayco 24RL on order...delivery anytime between August when we ordered it and possibly the end of Nov.
Many here have indicated mpg around 10 mpg or so, a bit more, a bit less....whatever it is it is.
That's around 180 to maybe 200 miles. Many, many of the back roads we have traveled on have long stretches without town, gas stations are hit and miss. Places in western and northwestern Canada you can easily go 200 miles between open stations.
Just want to carry a few gallons as a safety margin.
That is a pretty big trailer and it presents a pretty big wall to the wind, but if you gauge your acceleration and cruising speed conservatively, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at your MPG ( hope so) Still nuthin' wrong with having a few gallons extra.
Good Luck?

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If that trailer doesn’t have a tongue/front frame box on it I would certainly add one, just to haul a couple 5gal jugs of gas.
Keep the gas out of the truck and safer.
No room...travel trailer with propane tanks up front. Resides, that would add another 60-70 lbs to tongue weight which is neither needed or wanted.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
No room...travel trailer with propane tanks up front. Resides, that would add another 60-70 lbs to tongue weight which is neither needed or wanted.
Understand…. A good weight distribution hitch set up is the correct thing to improve the ride and safety of towing a trailer that size. Please share your experiences after you get it, I have been trying to plan all my suspension upgrades with the intent of towing a 15-19 footer in the very near future.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Understand…. A good weight distribution hitch set up is the correct thing to improve the ride and safety of towing a trailer that size. Please share your experiences after you get it, I have been trying to plan all my suspension upgrades with the intent of towing a 15-19 footer in the very near future.
No problem...several members are awaiting my getting the camper and finding out how the Ranger tows it. I'm very familiar with towing and I realize the trailer is a bit large, but not overweight for the truck. Have the hitch, and only suspension I'm planning to start is a set of Eibach's for the rear to start with.
As soon as it comes in I'll report.

DanaBovender

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
From the Florida Panhandle Residing in Germany
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Gov Employee
No problem...several members are awaiting my getting the camper and finding out how the Ranger tows it. I'm very familiar with towing and I realize the trailer is a bit large, but not overweight for the truck. Have the hitch, and only suspension I'm planning to start is a set of Eibach's for the rear to start with.
As soon as it comes in I'll report.
I have the Eibach pro truck shocks on the rear and just received the pro truck 2.0 coil overs for the front along with a set of ROTW Ranger leaf springs off a Ranger Wildtrak here in Germany.
The rears are awesome, took all the wallowing out of my 4X4 Lariat.

OP
OP
Grumpaw

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the Eibach pro truck shocks on the rear and just received the pro truck 2.0 coil overs for the front along with a set of ROTW Ranger leaf springs off a Ranger Wildtrak here in Germany.
The rears are awesome, took all the wallowing out of my 4X4 Lariat.
If your planning on a camper while in Germany, I envy you. Most European made rv rigs I've seen or read about, are far and away better than our stuff here. Some of the builds I've seen on line put our rigs, even our best, to shame. The materials and build quality is something I would gladly pay for, but here it's just knock em out as fast as you can, no quality control, no pride in craftsmanship.
Your Ranger should handle a 15-19 footer with ease.

michacooks

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
If you do some internet research you can carry and external transfer tank that is 50 state legal, some make custom tanks, some prebuilt. There are specific installation instructions, they have to have a pump and cannot gravity feed and are properly vented. They are specific for gasoline.

Gsxrdoug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger, XLT 4x4, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Therapist -- Retired Navy
Doesn't everyone carry their gas behind the front seats? That's how my 1970 C10 came from the factory, gas can behind the seat. LOL
Sponsored