Bronco Reveal

Deleted member 1634

I read that the Bronco can only tow 3,500 lbs. Seems very low for a body on frame design, especially since the Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs and they supposedly share a platform. Anyone know why this is?
It appears to be true that the full-size Bronco is rated to tow 3500lbs. A lot goes into towing besides just the frame, including suspension, powertrain, axle ratios, etc. Could say the same thing about the Wrangler and Gladiatior. Both based on the same frame (and have basically the same body), but tow much different numbers (3500 and 7650 respectively). The Bronco frame is also a slightly modified Ranger frame, so there are differences which may affect towing numbers. There's a lot that goes into engineering a vehicle that isn't immediately, or ever, noticeable from the outside of the process.
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Bronco has coil spring rear suspension which will lower it somewhat from the Ranger capabilities, but I would still think it capable of 5000.

Then again, the 3500 number is spot on with the Wrangler 4 door so don't be surprised if/when Ford ups the rating out of the blue in a couple of years just to razz them.

Of course the Bronco 2 door is also rated at 3500 whereas the Wrangler 2 door is just 2000.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I'm guessing the limitation is the suspension on the tow rating. Softer coilovers make a nice riding, off road buggy, but very weight sensitive. I'm betting Ford would rather have a very capable offroader and if you want to tow, buy a truck.

SknyGny

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I would also go with the manual tranny, got the new ranger and very disappointed that it was only automatic. Will have to wait, but the Bronco will win !

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Bronco has coil spring rear suspension which will lower it somewhat from the Ranger capabilities, but I would still think it capable of 5000.

Then again, the 3500 number is spot on with the Wrangler 4 door so don't be surprised if/when Ford ups the rating out of the blue in a couple of years just to razz them.

Of course the Bronco 2 door is also rated at 3500 whereas the Wrangler 2 door is just 2000.
I’m thinking the shorter wheelbase is playing a significant role in the reduced ratings.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I read that the Bronco can only tow 3,500 lbs. Seems very low for a body on frame design, especially since the Ranger can tow 7,500 lbs and they supposedly share a platform. Anyone know why this is?
If I remember correctly it's due to the suspension. The vehicle is made to go offroad, not tow.

Abjectwoe

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL
I'm very excited to see what this does for 4x4 vehicles. Does Toyota bring back the FJ? This clearly scares Jeep, so they'll be forced to innovate.

I wonder what it will all look like in 5 years. I happen to be looking for a dedicated 4x4 so I'm excited as hell.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Really, what everyone wants is that raucous hummer looking 4 door on a trailer, being towed behind the ranger. The rest is all gravy! :rockon:

Last edited:

Charley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCrew XLT FX4 Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
before i decided on the Ranger, I was speccing out a Gladiator.
1. There was a youtube link in a forum for a video about the work put into towing capacity. https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453
2. When it comes to towing, these days with the emergence of all the off-road trailers, that should be one of the goals/standards. though a trailer hitch location will effect the clearance and angle.
3. Months after the Gladiator release, first editions or whatever Jeep called them were still available on dealer lots.
4. will the Bronco provide competition for the Wrangler? Yes. but as others have noted (and ford mentioned) with the after market parts and upgrades, Jeep has quite the lead.

that said, I may have a Ranger for sale in a year or so.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I’m thinking the shorter wheelbase is playing a significant role in the reduced ratings.
While it does play a part, it's not the limiting factor, at least on the 4 door.

The 4 door has a 116 inch wheelbase and is only rated for 3500lbs.

My Grand Cherokee has a 106 inch wheelbase and is rated for 6500 (also coil spring rear axle)

My Bronco has a 104 inch wheelbase and is rated for 7000

I'm thinking they have very compliant springs which are great for off-roading but terrible for towing.

Deleted member 1634

This is the perfect alternative to a Jeep. The 4Runner is in the mix too, but has slightly different ideals and still kind of on it's own. The Jeep people will still buy a Jeep, and there's nothing wrong with that. The Bronco may not, and probably won't, dethrone the Wrangler completely, but if someone wants a rugged go-anywhere off-roader then they at least have more than one choice now. And that's good.
Sponsored