Bronco/Ranger Wheel Swap and TPMS Sensor Question

Turtle876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
I purchased a set of 5 used 18" wheels/tires off a Bronco that has 15 miles on them.

PXL_20230529_162915748.jpg

I did some research and it looks like I should be able to run them on my 2023 Ford Ranger XL without any issues. I'm hoping anyway. I do have a couple questions.

The Bronco TPMS sensors were left in the wheels/tires I picked up. I'm hoping these sensors will work with my Ranger? I can't imagine Ford would have a specific TPMS sensor for each Ford model but I could be wrong. I did try to look for an answer prior to asking but I couldn't find any black and white answer. I did read in a few posts that it took a few miles for new sensors to register with a vehicle but I couldn't find any specific information about Bronco sensors working on a Ranger.

My other question is what it will be like going from 16" steelies to 18" wheels. Will I need to adjust the speedometer for the wheel size difference? I know the Ranger offers an 18" wheel on their Rangers. Does each Ranger get programmed to the designated wheel size? I plan on checking the difference with the GPS on my phone but I won't be able to get these wheels put on for a few weeks yet.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
there are tire size calculators out there you can plug in the info from the old set and the new set and see the actual difference.
If you are concerned about wheel offset differences, you can also plug those into calculators and find out if they are going to change much. I dont know the offset of the Bronco wheels.

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I purchased a set of 5 used 18" wheels/tires off a Bronco that has 15 miles on them.

PXL_20230529_162915748.jpg

I did some research and it looks like I should be able to run them on my 2023 Ford Ranger XL without any issues. I'm hoping anyway. I do have a couple questions.

The Bronco TPMS sensors were left in the wheels/tires I picked up. I'm hoping these sensors will work with my Ranger? I can't imagine Ford would have a specific TPMS sensor for each Ford model but I could be wrong. I did try to look for an answer prior to asking but I couldn't find any black and white answer. I did read in a few posts that it took a few miles for new sensors to register with a vehicle but I couldn't find any specific information about Bronco sensors working on a Ranger.

My other question is what it will be like going from 16" steelies to 18" wheels. Will I need to adjust the speedometer for the wheel size difference? I know the Ranger offers an 18" wheel on their Rangers. Does each Ranger get programmed to the designated wheel size? I plan on checking the difference with the GPS on my phone but I won't be able to get these wheels put on for a few weeks yet.

Thanks for the help!
If my info from America's tire is correct your 16" steelies are: 255/70 R16 so the diameter would be:

255 x .7 = 178.5.
178.5 / 25.4 = 7.0275" of sidewall.
7.0275 x 2 + 16 = 30.055" diameter

The only 18" I could find is for the Bronco Sport Big Bend and it's 225/60 R18

225 x .6 = 135
135/25.4 = 5.31496
5.31496 x 2 + 18 = 28.6299

So around 1.4" shorter than your stock so your speedo would read fast by about 5%.

I took off my stock 17" tires and wheels (STX) and put on som 18" Lariat tires and wheels and I didn't change the tire diameter in Forscan but then the 18" Lariat tires and wheels are only about .5" taller than mine so the difference is about 1.5% which is not enough for me to worry about.

But with Forscan, it's easy to change the tire size.

peterb

Fazzie01

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Engineer
If my info from America's tire is correct your 16" steelies are: 255/70 R16 so the diameter would be:

255 x .7 = 178.5.
178.5 / 25.4 = 7.0275" of sidewall.
7.0275 x 2 + 16 = 30.055" diameter

The only 18" I could find is for the Bronco Sport Big Bend and it's 225/60 R18

225 x .6 = 135
135/25.4 = 5.31496
5.31496 x 2 + 18 = 28.6299

So around 1.4" shorter than your stock so your speedo would read fast by about 5%.

I took off my stock 17" tires and wheels (STX) and put on som 18" Lariat tires and wheels and I didn't change the tire diameter in Forscan but then the 18" Lariat tires and wheels are only about .5" taller than mine so the difference is about 1.5% which is not enough for me to worry about.

But with Forscan, it's easy to change the tire size.

peterb
I think he took these from an actual Bronco since there are 5 full size tires and these are 6 lug to match the Ranger. The Bronco sport is 5 lug. In the Bronco Config, it lists these as 32" tires.

From Configurator " 18” Bright Machined Black High Gloss-Painted Aluminum Wheels | 32" P255/70R18 All-Terrain | Included"

pboggini

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XL Ranger 4x2 Supercrew.
I think he took these from an actual Bronco since there are 5 full size tires and these are 6 lug to match the Ranger. The Bronco sport is 5 lug. In the Bronco Config, it lists these as 32" tires.

From Configurator " 18” Bright Machined Black High Gloss-Painted Aluminum Wheels | 32" P255/70R18 All-Terrain | Included"
I did assume they came from an actual Bronco which is what I looked up on Americas Tire. I know very little about the stock Bronco's and their number of lugs. Mostly my post was to show how to figure out the size so I would leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out the size of the new tires to see how that compares. If you are right and these are 255/70R18's then they would be 2" taller and so that would be 6.67% taller and the speedo would be 6.67% slower.

OP
OP

Turtle876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
Thank you everyone for the time and explanation for the sensors and the wheels! Much appreciated! I'll update the thread here in a few weeks when I get them swapped out.

OP
OP

Turtle876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
I can let the let the cat out of the bag at this point...

The wheels were actually for my Dad's 2023 Ford Ranger as a Father's Day gift. (I'm not sure if my Dad is a member but I do know that he has read through threads here. So I didn't want to be too obvious that I was going to be working on his truck.)

I stole his truck out of his driveway around 4am this morning and brought it back to my house. I swapped his 16" steelies for 18" Bronco wheels. The swap went great. Pretty easy but I didn't want to disturb my neighbors with my impact gun at 5am so it took a little longer than usual. I did swap out the Bronco center caps for some black and chrome Ford logos. I was able to order those at the local Ford dealer.

Here's a picture of before and after with the wheels.

Before:

1000002637.png

After:

1000002638.jpg

The TPMS sensors were never an issue coming from a Bronco to a Ranger. Nothing ever showed up on the dash. I thought I might see something for the first few miles.

I want to say the speedometer is maybe 1-1.5 MPH off going from a 16" to a 18" wheel. The local police department dropped off one of those radar trailers that post your speed just outside my neighborhood a few days ago. Not only has traffic slowed down, I was able to double check the difference in speeds. Ha! The police radar seemed to be closer to 1 MPH difference compared to 1.5-2 MPH on my GPS. Pretty minimal either way.

I also remembered my Dad commenting when first picking up the Ranger on how the exhaust looked like cheap pipe conduit. So I hit it with some Krylon high heat paint and added and black chrome exhaust tip. That was a nice visual upgrade.

1000002640.jpg

I was able to sneak the truck back up in their driveway about 8am this morning. I made up a story about how we were leaving town for the weekend and I wanted him to double check a "noise" I was hearing on my wife's vehicle. I even had my wife's hood popped open to make it a little more realistic and keep his attention away from his truck. It was pretty funny when he did look over and noticed his truck. Talk about confused! It didn't look like that when he pulled in the driveway last night. Ha! I'm glad it worked out and just wanted to update you guys about the swap and say thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Those18s are 32" not 28"...
I had the same ones, but didn't like the ride over my 17"

OP
OP

Turtle876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger
To be honest I was shocked how quite these tires are. I thought they were going to be noisy compared to the previous tires.

I have an older Ranger and I swapped out my tires for some that are a little bit more "aggressive" if you will but still on a 16" rim. Talk about noisy. I was expecting something similar with these tires. The newer Rangers cab is probably a little bit better insulated than the previous Ranger. I was expecting much, much worse. I was presently surprised! I'll take these wheels/tires all day everyday compared to my daily.
Sponsored