Blur license plate?

SnowWolf

Hello!

I'm new to the forum, when I first posted pictures of my Ranger. I didn't blur the license plates, but after a friend told me too. I went ahead and did it. I've never been one to use social media, and I don't like putting myself out there on the internet so to speak.

But yeah, I see many people on the internet recommend that you blur your license plate. But I don’t really understand why. When you drive around in public, they are visible to anyone.

There’s not a lot of personal information you can gather from them, besides. People on the street can gather that information when they find you in public. What made me change my mind though, was that on the street its just any other car. But on the internet, it’s visible to a lot more people.

Also, it might get picked out to get stolen more easily, since your expensive build list with modifications and parts can turn more into a shopping list for people that are looking through the forums for tricked out trucks to steal.

So, by blurring your license plates, the Ranger becomes just another Ranger on the internet. Instead of being able to get tracked down.

But I feel a bit silly and paranoid blurring my license plates. What do you guys think?
Sponsored

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
For me, if you want to fly all the way here to steal something, atleast say hi. I would love some conversation from home. ;)

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Yeah, I was thinking it was far away. But people looking for Rangers might just Google for a forum like this. Then go through everything, find a tricked out expensive Ranger near them. Wherever that might be, then steal it.

I remember a while ago, someone posted on Instagram or something.. They had gotten some very big expensive rims on a BMW SUV, and 2 days later. The car, which was parked at a large farm in the middle of nowhere. Stood on cinderblocks.

So most likely, they saw the rims on Instagram. Looked up the license plate to get the name of the owner, then looked up where they lived.

I don't know about the US, but in some countries. Norway being one of them, you can get where people live from looking up their license plate. The only restriction is that you need to provide your own social security number to the DMV, but that's it.. You give them your number, verify with something we call secure ID.

Then you can look up plates, you don't need a reason. They even have an online service for it. So I guess better safe than story?

Not like anyone would have spotted the BMW being at a farm... They most likely found out where it was, from the plates.
I just realized you er from Norway. Do you guys have anything like theft to worry about there? There are some places in the States we still dont lock doors. That is becoming rare though. If I live outside the cities, I dont worry about it to much. But as you say, better safe than sorry.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I posted my tag couple threads ago. Then someone pulled in my driveway but were just using it to turn around.
Left me standing there with 2 beers and a lonely look on my face. :frown:

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Depending on how you blur the plate, it can be reversed with the right image software.

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Sometimes sharpen function in photoshop can help if the original was high quality. Not that I sit around trying to unblur license plates, but had seen a discussion and tried it out of boredom with mixed results.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
If I know your license plate, I know pretty much everything about you. In Texas, I even know how much you paid for the vehicle your license plate is mounted on because the sales price is included on the information. With your name, I can go to public sites that reveal your address, phone number, email address, etc. Scammers live for information like that. Just blur them!

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
If I know your license plate, I know pretty much everything about you. In Texas, I even know how much you paid for the vehicle your license plate is mounted on because the sales price is included on the information. With your name, I can go to public sites that reveal your address, phone number, email address, etc. Scammers live for information like that. Just blur them!
I have a maine plate that reads blmpkn, who am i?

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I tend to avoid showing plate numbers but anyone driving nearby your truck can read your license plate. Is this forum all that different from driving on public roads?

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I have a maine plate that reads blmpkn, who am i?
William the New Years baby....how much do you want me to reveal?