Bluetooth --> 3.5 mm transmitters don't work with Sync 3?

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I have XLT with tech package, so no Aux 3.5 mm input.
In trying to find a solution to connecting 3.5mm-jack audio devices to Sync 3, several people on this forum recommended 3.5 mm --> bluetooth transmitters, and then pairing the bluetooth transmitter to Sync3. That way, we can listen to 3.5 mm audio outputs on Sync.

I haven't been able to get this to work, despite trying a few devices, such as this one (recommended by this forum) and this one. These devices simply do not show up 95% of the time when in Pairing mode, or can't connect in the random rare chance that sync sees it briefly. What am I missing? :D

Most of the time, Sync doesn't even detect a bluetooth device, but other times (like the second link), the screen shows an error of "This device is not compatible with Sync3" or something similar.

Has anyone gotten a Bluetooth --> 3.5 mm transmitter to work with Sync 3? If yes, which one? What's the trick to getting Sync 3 to find a bluetooth transmitter?
Clearly I'm missing something :D

P.S. I intentionally do not want to pair my phone to Sync, and would like to connect via the headphone output.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Just a gentle bump, in case anyone has used a 3.5mm to Bluetooth transmitter successfully :)

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
I use this type of device to get music into my Sony car stereo in the garage, which refuses to see my Samsung tablet or phone. It works just fine there. I haven't tried it in the truck.

I've heard that car stereos in general are picky about Bluetooth, and my experience and yours seems to bear that out. I wish I could be of more help.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I use this type of device to get music into my Sony car stereo in the garage, which refuses to see my Samsung tablet or phone. It works just fine there. I haven't tried it in the truck.

I've heard that car stereos in general are picky about Bluetooth, and my experience and yours seems to bear that out. I wish I could be of more help.
Thanks for the thoughts :) Do you happen to have a link to the specific device you used, that worked with your Sony stereo?

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Thanks all for the thoughts. In reading other forums (eg F150) it's becoming clear that bluetooth with non-phone devices is flaky and doesn't work well.

For anyone else looking in the future, here are some links:

link 1
link 2
link 3

The best solution seemed to be the Naviks devices, eg this one. It mimics the file system of a phone/mp3 player, etc.
I've written an inquiry to Naviks, but will probably be going with that option.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Thanks all for the thoughts. In reading other forums (eg F150) it's becoming clear that bluetooth with non-phone devices is flaky and doesn't work well.

For anyone else looking in the future, here are some links:

link 1
link 2
link 3

The best solution seemed to be the Naviks devices, eg this one. It mimics the file system of a phone/mp3 player, etc.
I've written an inquiry to Naviks, but will probably be going with that option.
I understand that you don’t want to pair the phone with the Sync Bluetooth, but have you tried connecting the phone to the USB port? It should work like any other USB drive.

OP
OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
I understand that you don’t want to pair the phone with the Sync Bluetooth, but have you tried connecting the phone to the USB port? It should work like any other USB drive.
Yes, thank you -- but I don't trust what data Ford is accessing by connecting to the phone directly (USB still exposes the file system and all data on the phone). Their privacy policy is fairly clear about the broad scope of data they may access. That data can't be accessed through 3.5mm audio :)

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
Did you ever manage to get the Ranger to act as a Bluetooth speaker?

I am trying to send the audio of a radio scanner to the truck, and used the new Anker, and an Hagibis adapter, but without success. I think these devices just don’t have a BT profile compatible with SYNC while in TX mode…

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
At this point, you're probably best off getting some device that you ONLY use for music and connecting it via USB or bluetooth to the head unit.

I've been having great success by just plugging a USB thumb drive in for music.

If you're streaming music from some streaming service, I have to wonder if your sensitivity to data use policies might need to be revised.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry but I doubt your data is really that important. Just plug up da phone.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry but I doubt your data is really that important. Just plug up da phone.
Hi Adam,

I do not want the risque pictures of my Tortoise posing nude all over the internet.....

Best,
Phil