• ⛔️ EFFECTIVE JANUARY 16, 2023 ⛔️ 

ATTENTION SELLERS: All users who wish to sell in the marketplace are now required to abide by the following RULES. If a sales thread/post created ON OR AFTER January 16, 2023, does not comply, it is subject to DELETION without notice.

ATTENTION BUYERS: If you see a non-compliant sales thread, please REPORT the thread and take CAUTION when transacting.

Rule #1 - Post a picture of the actual item you are selling (NO stock photos).
    Rule #2 - The picture must include a REAL piece of paper with your Username and the Date written on it next to the product you are selling. NO photoshop or digitally edited photos are allowed.
    Rule #3 - NO "feeler" threads are permitted. This section is only for items that are actually available and ready to be sold currently.
    Rule #4 - The listing must include an asking price. OBO (or best offer) is allowed but it must be accompanied by an asking price.
    Rule #5 - No "threadcrapping." Classifieds threads are not meant for negative discussions. Comments on pricing are not allowed. Only people with genuine questions and interest in the item for sale should be posting in the classifieds threads.

BEST BOV for ranger

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
$18 DIY BOV.
1)Remove tour factory hose & clamps
2) Install rubber end cap on intake.
3) Install flared hose on factory BOV and secure with factory clamps.
4) Reflect on the fact that you did not needlessly spend $250 on an aftermarket piece
5) Enjoy Pishshshst! Sound as you back off the throttle around your Colorado and Takoma friends..

20221215_172224.jpg
And experience a check engine light not long after with limp.mode because the vehicle is not tuned for this...... Yeah.makes perfect sinse to me!?
Sponsored

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat, 2.5 Leveler, MBRP 3" Exhaust
Occupation
Just another incredibly super average dude
And experience a check engine light not long after with limp.mode because the vehicle is not tuned for this...... Yeah.makes perfect sinse to me!?
Yeah, no.. Sorry your experience sucked, that mines been nothing but enjoyable for quite a while. Factory blow off valves only release excess pressure into the intake to quiet the noise for drivers. Having it released into the atmosphere prior to the air Box has not changed any performance whatsoever in my ride.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah, no.. Sorry your experience sucked, that mines been nothing but enjoyable for quite a while. Factory blow off valves only release excess pressure into the intake to quiet the noise for drivers. Having it released into the atmosphere prior to the air Box has not changed any performance whatsoever in my ride.
That is where you are incorrect. They do reduce noise, but the real function is to keep the turbocharger spinning to reduce lag when the throttle is closed. Also there are plenty of individuals on this forum that have already experienced problems with transmission shoft rough with the TurboSmart 50/50 Blow Off Valve. When switched to the Factory or full recirc TurboSmart the problems went away.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I will also add that with you letting the air gonout t like that without the tune toncompensate the engine will go rich quite a bit to an excessive amount when the throttle is closed for that short period of noise. That is why it will go into limp mode

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Frenchy, I don't know? Apparently its not for everyone? I 've always gotten just below 24 mpg, which has not changed in all the months I've been running my BOV. The air that it pushes back into the system is in the pre-pipe to the airbox. How this would ultimately make for a richer mix seems highly unlikely and even if it did, I would have noticed an obvious change in my fuel economy. Some might argue that it actually diverts "hot air" out allowing the more preferred cooled air in for the turbo, but none of these are my argument. Of course, I've also witnessed many others (after installing a BOV) whose driving habits have change dramatically, just because they want to tac up the RPM's, then hear it released. Being 60 years of age myself, I'm not looking to turn heads or impress anyone. I just personally like that little extra Psssht! sound. If I actually noticed any change in performance, or grew weary with the sound, I could, at any point, swap out the BOV hose I installed and be back to running stock in under 2 minutes and only be out $18..... Seriously, I'm not looking to argue over it. I'm just another Ranger owner on the quest like everyone else to tweak and personalize his ride and have been nothing but pleased with my set up.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Frenchy, I don't know? Apparently its not for everyone? I 've always gotten just below 24 mpg, which has not changed in all the months I've been running my BOV. The air that it pushes back into the system is in the pre-pipe to the airbox. How this would ultimately make for a richer mix seems highly unlikely and even if it did, I would have noticed an obvious change in my fuel economy. Some might argue that it actually diverts "hot air" out allowing the more preferred cooled air in for the turbo, but none of these are my argument. Of course, I've also witnessed many others (after installing a BOV) whose driving habits have change dramatically, just because they want to tac up the RPM's, then hear it released. Being 60 years of age myself, I'm not looking to turn heads or impress anyone. I just personally like that little extra Psssht! sound. If I actually noticed any change in performance, or grew weary with the sound, I could, at any point, swap out the BOV hose I installed and be back to running stock in under 2 minutes and only be out $18..... Seriously, I'm not looking to argue over it. I'm just another Ranger owner on the quest like everyone else to tweak and personalize his ride and have been nothing but pleased with my set up.
Since it sounds like you are interested I can explain. Thanks to the turbocharger the air after the compressor is simply compressed. If you just all of a sudden open up a hole.like you did at the blow off valve that air will rush right out. In a sense it will also create a vacuum for a short period of time taking air away from the engine. That is how it makes the rich mixture for that short period of time. Its actually much worse with vehicles that use a Mass Air Flow Sensor. Also thanks to the air being released into the atmosphere, the turbocharger essentially comes close to a complete stop. That is where is creates more turbo lag on the initial start.

Does that make since?

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting, but not entirely clear.. The "hole" letting out the air, (such as with the stock BOV), is only performing this function (as you've pointed out - "after the compressor") regardless of if its back into the intake tube, or into the atmosphere, its still being released. That all being said, when released into the intake tube, the intake valves and pistons being in their respective positions are either opened (to receive), or closed new air and turbo waiting for spent gases. The turbo and compressed air in question, is driven off of the exhaust, which is already spent. If the valves are closed to new air and only pulling in what the airbox is providing when called for with an open valve, how would this be taking away any available air, other that the hot air dumped back into the system by the BOV? There's only room for so much air, so whatever air is being pushed into the airbox tube by the BOV, only reduces the actual new fresh air coming in naturally . The air box doesn't compress air that it takes in and the air isn't forced in like a supercharged air induction system. If this is the case, then the engine isn't really starved for air making for a richer mix. Otherwise there should be a recognizable loss of fuel economy and power, of which I've not realized at all. - My BOV is still making use of the factory installed unit. I only bypass dumping in back into the intake tube. The trucks intake can still naturally breath freely as it does when you simply accelerate with no "aid" (if that's what it does beyond silencing it) of BOV air being forced back into the tube. The only time it receives released air under the factory set up, is when you decelerate. I suppose if you're off and on, hammering the gas, like an Indy driver, coming out of turn #2 and punching it to get the hole shot coming in hot to turn #3, maybe you might see some sort of affect, but I really haven't even slightly noticed a change in my daily drives......

Seriously, I appreciate the discussion tho. If I felt a negative impact to my trucks performance, I would pull it in a heart beat.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Interesting, but not entirely clear.. The "hole" letting out the air, (such as with the stock BOV), is only performing this function (as you've pointed out - "after the compressor") regardless of if its back into the intake tube, or into the atmosphere, its still being released. That all being said, when released into the intake tube, the intake valves and pistons being in their respective positions are either opened (to receive), or closed new air and turbo waiting for spent gases. The turbo and compressed air in question, is driven off of the exhaust, which is already spent. If the valves are closed to new air and only pulling in what the airbox is providing when called for with an open valve, how would this be taking away any available air, other that the hot air dumped back into the system by the BOV? There's only room for so much air, so whatever air is being pushed into the airbox tube by the BOV, only reduces the actual new fresh air coming in naturally . The air box doesn't compress air that it takes in and the air isn't forced in like a supercharged air induction system. If this is the case, then the engine isn't really starved for air making for a richer mix. Otherwise there should be a recognizable loss of fuel economy and power, of which I've not realized at all. - My BOV is still making use of the factory installed unit. I only bypass dumping in back into the intake tube. The trucks intake can still naturally breath freely as it does when you simply accelerate with no "aid" (if that's what it does beyond silencing it) of BOV air being forced back into the tube. The only time it receives released air under the factory set up, is when you decelerate. I suppose if you're off and on, hammering the gas, like an Indy driver, coming out of turn #2 and punching it to get the hole shot coming in hot to turn #3, maybe you might see some sort of affect, but I really haven't even slightly noticed a change in my daily drives......

Seriously, I appreciate the discussion tho. If I felt a negative impact to my trucks performance, I would pull it in a heart beat.
So with you being a little confused as to why it was set to dump back into the intake side of the turbocharger is quite easy to understand. Remember how i mentioned how just letting the air out into the atmosphere will basically let the turbocharger come to a close stop? Well if you.let it go back to the intake side of the turbocharger it will basically recirculate back into the turbocharger and allow it to keep spinning at a higher speed. Of course you still have the exhaust that puches the turbocharger, but one thing to keep in mind is that the waste gate will be open all the way at closed throttle allowing the exhaust to bypass the turbine and barely spin the turbocharger if at all.

Now you might ask yoursel. Why we have a blow off valve or a recirculation valve in the first place? Well if we didnt have either ut can cause damage to the turbocharger. How you ask? Well if you are laying into the throttle and have boost and then all of a sudden let off the throttle completely you have simply closed off the preferred path for the pressurized intake air. With no way to relive the pressure the air will build up enough and cause a surge and stop the turbocharger from spinning abruptly. Engineers figured this out a long time ago befor my time.

It is possible that @P. A. Schilke might be able to chime in and give a little.more detail. Just depends on how much more he may know.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
You don't really tune for BOV/BPV's.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So with you being a little confused as to why it was set to dump back into the intake side of the turbocharger is quite easy to understand. Remember how i mentioned how just letting the air out into the atmosphere will basically let the turbocharger come to a close stop? Well if you.let it go back to the intake side of the turbocharger it will basically recirculate back into the turbocharger and allow it to keep spinning at a higher speed. Of course you still have the exhaust that puches the turbocharger, but one thing to keep in mind is that the waste gate will be open all the way at closed throttle allowing the exhaust to bypass the turbine and barely spin the turbocharger if at all.

Now you might ask yoursel. Why we have a blow off valve or a recirculation valve in the first place? Well if we didnt have either ut can cause damage to the turbocharger. How you ask? Well if you are laying into the throttle and have boost and then all of a sudden let off the throttle completely you have simply closed off the preferred path for the pressurized intake air. With no way to relive the pressure the air will build up enough and cause a surge and stop the turbocharger from spinning abruptly. Engineers figured this out a long time ago befor my time.

It is possible that @P. A. Schilke might be able to chime in and give a little.more detail. Just depends on how much more he may know.
Hi Chris,

The whole deal here is to make a turbocharged system behave in a liner throttle response mode with no lags and abrupt power surges as much as possible. So you can consider the whole waste gate/BOV systems to be "fine tuned" to be as liner as a natural aspirated motor with in reason. As to the specifics of how this is done is beyond my understanding. Then there is the NVH aspect of a BOV venting to atmosphere...sort of like the engine farting long and loud..

Not much of a detailed explanation but I am not an Engine Engineer...I am a Truck Vehicle engineer. As such, I would not allow Rangers in customers hands sound like the aftermath of a Taco Bell meal...

Best,
Phil

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You don't really tune for BOV/BPV's.
If that is what you believe then you do not have a good understanding of the complex computer controls of modern vehicles. A stand alone computer can handle a blow off valve that vents completely to the atmosphere vs a oem computer. Two different components all together

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If that is what you believe then you do not have a good understanding of the complex computer controls of modern vehicles. A stand alone computer can handle a blow off valve that vents completely to the atmosphere vs a oem computer. Two different components all together
I guess I should get a new job then... www.jaztuning.com

:D

Beez

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
All interesting takes on the matter, to be sure.. It's apparently an acquired taste to hear the BOV sound. I mean, I personally don't care for the 19 year old winding his rice burning Subaru too tight, then ripping one off, but the gentle pssshffft of my Lariat I find a bit heart warming. When you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, just about every mod out there has both fist pumpers and nay sayers. One doesn't like spacers, someone else claims they kill your bearings. Another cheers about K&N filters, and another warms of ruining your engine. Adding a lift causes excess wear on your CV's and shaft alignments. Over-sized tires cause some other issue... What are you willing to put up with and where do you draw the line is really up to the owner to weigh the +/-'s.