Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have feedback on the Rocky Mounts Backstage?

https://rockymounts.com/backstage/

It has some nice features that I think I need. I have a topper/canopy and my wife and I use it for camping. The Backstage swings out so you can open the tail gate with the bikes attached to the carrier. It also swings down though I don't think that will be useful in my situation. This is currently my #1 choice but of course its currently sold out everywhere.
Sponsored

jlewand3

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Does anyone have feedback on the Rocky Mounts Backstage?

https://rockymounts.com/backstage/

It has some nice features that I think I need. I have a topper/canopy and my wife and I use it for camping. The Backstage swings out so you can open the tail gate with the bikes attached to the carrier. It also swings down though I don't think that will be useful in my situation. This is currently my #1 choice but of course its currently sold out everywhere.
I've also narrowed it down to the backstage or Thule with their swing arm attachment. Both are highly rated; for me it is whichever gets back in stock first!

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I've also narrowed it down to the backstage or Thule with their swing arm attachment. Both are highly rated; for me it is whichever gets back in stock first!
Rocky Mounts emailed me that the backstage is in stock again. Florida is having a tax free holiday right now so I scooped it up with free shipping as well. Its Also on Amazon but its $50 more so just get it from Rocky Mounts website.

Madesicc88

First Name
V
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Electrician
I like vertical racks the most, I love my Yakima Hangover, very sturdy even with my eMTBs on it.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Latchit Rack and enjoy the utility it provides, but find it lacking in material qualities. I will hold on to it because it does work very well for hauling multiple bikes, but I wouldn't buy it again.
0624201820.jpg

My latest rack is a length of 80/20 aluminum t-slot mounted to the front of the bed with a cheap thru axle mount from Amazon. I have an inventory of drop in fasteners so I can mount anything I want without disassembling the bed mounts. This is much more secure AND I can spend less time tying all of my camping gear down since I can close the tailgate.

The only issue is I had to air down my back tire to make it fit. The bike would have fit stock, but I upgraded to a longer travel fork and just slightly lengthened the wheel base another inch or so. With a 5 ft bed, it will be an issue for the longer travel, slack geo enduro or downhill bikes to fit with the tailgate down.
0617211217_HDR.jpg

NC_LFX4

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4; 2006 Jeep Wrangler X
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Latchit Rack and enjoy the utility it provides, but find it lacking in material qualities. I will hold on to it because it does work very well for hauling multiple bikes, but I wouldn't buy it again.
0624201820.jpg

My latest rack is a length of 80/20 aluminum t-slot mounted to the front of the bed with a cheap thru axle mount from Amazon. I have an inventory of drop in fasteners so I can mount anything I want without disassembling the bed mounts. This is much more secure AND I can spend less time tying all of my camping gear down since I can close the tailgate.

The only issue is I had to air down my back tire to make it fit. The bike would have fit stock, but I upgraded to a longer travel fork and just slightly lengthened the wheel base another inch or so. With a 5 ft bed, it will be an issue for the longer travel, slack geo enduro or downhill bikes to fit with the tailgate down.
0617211217_HDR.jpg
How did you secure the segment of 8020 at the front of your bed? This looks like it may be the answer to my problems now that I’ve acquired an ARE bed shell.

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
How did you secure the segment of 8020 at the front of your bed? This looks like it may be the answer to my problems now that I’ve acquired an ARE bed shell.
I had a bracket made to match the tie-down hook mounting holes. I'm down a set of hooks, but I haven't missed them yet.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
We are older so ride RAD electric power bikes, 65# each, and security is an issue with their high theft rate. So I use a locking Hollywood hitch rack made for fat tire electric bikes, has a weight limit of 170 lbs. The 'J' hooks lock as well as the hitch pin, plus I have remote armed motion alarms on both bikes for when parked or at stops while riding in addition to the cable lock, I never transport with the batteries mounted.

ScooB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 1997 Ranger XLT
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Allen Sport locking hitch carrier...zero sway...

IMG_6400.JPG
I bought a very similar Allen rack from a friend. I used it over the weekend and it worked pretty good but I had some concerns. Have you ever had the nylon straps that attach to the frame loosen up? Also I did order a strap similar to yours for the front and rear tires to keep them from moving.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a very similar Allen rack from a friend. I used it over the weekend and it worked pretty good but I had some concerns. Have you ever had the nylon straps that attach to the frame loosen up? Also I did order a strap similar to yours for the front and rear tires to keep them from moving.
I didn't have any problems...did you check the straps for security?

ScooB

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 1997 Ranger XLT
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
I didn't have any problems...did you check the straps for security?
Yep, I stopped just to double check and they were still tight. One thing I noticed is even with the straps down tight, the bike can still rotate (the frame rotating within the strap) toward and away from the tailgate. I'm curious if in heavy braking or acceleration if it would move that much. I plan to use it from here forward so I guess I'll see.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I stopped just to double check and they were still tight. One thing I noticed is even with the straps down tight, the bike can still rotate (the frame rotating within the strap) toward and away from the tailgate. I'm curious if in heavy braking or acceleration if it would move that much. I plan to use it from here forward so I guess I'll see.
Yes they will...I use large velcro straps to hold them steady against the vertical upright...I didn't have it on in my pic but I also use a strap to steady the bike against the rack...

jinda

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prado 2009
Occupation
Racer
I'm using HyperAx Hitech ranger bike rack, it is amazing and low priced.
Sponsored