Best Bike Rack for Ranger

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I'd definitely recommend the Thule T2 Pro XT series of hitch racks.
I have this. Great rack but not very high on the value scale. Thule thinks their racks are made of gold.
Sponsored

Dropper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion, F350 soon to be ranger owner
I have this. Great rack but not very high on the value scale. Thule thinks their racks are made of gold.
Swedes....

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Yes now this looks like the ticket! Could it hold three bikes? Does the endgate shut? How did you anchor the mounts to the bar??
Looks great and simple!
In all honesty I’d say three is probably too many; two heavy mountain bikes is my limit. It’s just that the bar isn’t the sturdiest. That being said, I’m sure you could find a more heavy duty bar and do three no problem. The tailgate does shut, though it’s a pretty close fit with my medium sized MTB. The mounts actually use U-shaped metal brackets on the bottom that you simply tighten around the bar.

forceofnature

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT with RC 6" Lift
I'm considering different options on the best bike rack for our pickups. What is working for everyone? I was thinking about a bar type system, as that seems like it would anchor the bikes down well. You DO have to remove the front wheel, but seems like they would be held securely and I figure that is the only way bikes would fit in the short box with the end gate up anyway. Also would work as a cargo divider, which is a plus for me. I would need to transport 3 bikes. I have seen people using a few different options on a few different posts and build threads, just thought it would be nice to have in one spot and see what everyone likes best!

Screenshot_20191218-162636_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20191218-162733_Samsung Internet.jpg
Years ago with a previous pickup, I had something similar to this. They are the best type of bike racks for trucks.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
My old '99 ranger, what I did was buy a couple of these bolt on units and screwed them right into a 2x4 that I placed in the bed of my truck. I made the 2x4 just the right length so it didn't slide around. Cheap quick and easy solution.

s-l300.jpg

If you do use these, the 2x4 can't go in the corner of the bed or the handlebars might touch the window. You have to space them out a little bit and build in some spacers.

Some people have been known to mount these right to the back of their truck with bolts however.
maxresdefault.jpg

Don't want to bolt into the bed? Lots of options if you are creative. Buy some sheet metal and form up a flap that hangs over the bed wall by the window for you you bolt through. Nobody needs to blow money on one of those cross bars, or worse yet, a ridiculous overpriced Thule setup. (my last vehicle was a car so I had to get a proper hitch bike rack)

OP
OP
Ranger's My Middle Name

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
I'm liking all of these simpler options. My next concern is if I'll be able to shut the endgate with a Large 29er in the back. Thinking that mounting directly to the box up higher would give a little extra room. Any tips on drilling mounts directly into the box? Any mounts work better than the others?

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Well, pop off the front wheel, hold the bike up there in that area and let us know. I'm still a skinny wheel 26'er myself. Not giving in to any trends of the last decade.

atari

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Here's the quick rundown:

The easiest/cheapest: bikes draped over the tailgate. This is the big perk of a pickup.
If you want to secure them in the box then a fork mount bedhead or removable bar works, but this isn't my favorite option.
For hitch racks: you want either a tray style or an upright style. For tray the Thule T2 is the rack we sell the most at Rack Attack, it's great but I'd say the Kuat NV is better. The slightly cheaper option is is the RockyMounts Monorail. It's the best value versus quality for the style.

For the upright style, Yakima Hangover is the way to go.

If you have any rack questions, need help, or possibly a discount or two, just msg me :)

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I used a tailgate pad while my shell was on order. I liked the pad a lot, but I needed the security of a shell so I can lock up my bike while I’m working when I’m riding after I’m off. I typically head straight to the trails after work a few days a week.

I’ve got a ratchet bar that pins down a 2”x4” with fork mounts screwed to it. I mount the bikes facing the tailgate and I can stand my XL next to my wife’s medium in the bed. Our full suspension bikes have long wheelbases, so they’re definitely standing diagonally in the bed. I also have the Thule T2 Pro for when I’m not leaving the bikes unattended. The T2 Pro is great for carting around my 29+ and my fat bike too. The ratcheting straps are plenty long for monster tires

F060B9BD-A08E-431F-B936-F1C1ACC0B637.jpeg

EDB9CAE8-E16E-4E61-8CD3-03991B3746D4.jpeg

5E4811FA-C687-4C49-85FE-4A4BA2CB800D.jpeg

racinteach

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
As I get to play with all sorts of bike racks, the best one for the money and strength is the Hollywood Racks Sport rider Se rack. Solid and gets the job done without breaking the bank. Hate all the plastic parts and high cost of some of these all frills racks..

Ol Bromy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of riders in these parts love the 1UP racks. They look tough with their all metal construction and sit close to the vehicle when folded up.

Dropper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Excursion, F350 soon to be ranger owner
I love trays but once you get above 2 racks it starts to become much harder to mount bikes with 800 mm bars. Things start to hit etc.

If im gonna do a hitch mount for more than 2 bikes go with a recon. I have a northshore and will be getting a recon. This style bikes dont touch each other at all.

Or you do a tailgate pad or my new favorite the latchit rack.

Like.many of you my first MTB rack was a QR mount for the front fork on a 2x4 that sat in a pocket in my bedliner. Worked well but if your gonna take more than 2 bikes back to the drawing board.

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
Used the front bar mount rack in my 2004 and then added the endgate blanket (both Thule). Both worked well and I love them. In the new Ranger I wanted a bed cover. Spent weeks trying to find a good folding cover that had a rail for a rack mount. Really not available yet. Some for retractable covers but didn’t want to lose the bed space. Decided on a hitch mount hanging each as I had to transport 4 bikes. Seems to work well. Would have liked a mount that worked with the backflip but didn’t see any options as yet.