B&O Upgrades - Aftermarket Audio Questions

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
So I’ve done my fair share of diy projects so far on my 5G Ranger, but I’m thinking my next project may be to at least upgrade the subwoofer and sound dampen the cab.

I’ve scoured the threads but even the descriptive ones for audio system builds assume a lot of technical knowledge about sound systems.

My Ranger is a crew cab with the upgraded B&O system (includes the small subwoofer). I’m considering taking it to a local shop to upgrade, but part of me thinks that the upgrade could be doable on my own with the separate subwoofer and amp already in the rear.

Anyone willing to school me on this? I’m sure it would help others wanting to upgrade too. I keep seeing things like the following:

1. A zen2 is needed. Not sure what this is or what it does. Is this an amp or something more in addition to an amp upgrade?
2. The subwoofer is filtered which is a problem. What does this mean? Is it fixed by the zen 2?
3. The Lariat fake engine noise can be a problem. Is this a real issue?
4. The subwoofer box size is very tight behind the seat. What is the max depth for the subwoofer box that can fit behind the seat? For those who made it work, what box/sub did you use?

Any schooling or help is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
1. A zen2 is needed. Not sure what this is or what it does. Is this an amp or something more in addition to an amp upgrade?
2. The subwoofer is filtered which is a problem. What does this mean? Is it fixed by the zen 2?
3. The Lariat fake engine noise can be a problem. Is this a real issue?
4. The subwoofer box size is very tight behind the seat. What is the max depth for the subwoofer box that can fit behind the seat? For those who made it work, what box/sub did you use?

Any schooling or help is appreciated. Thanks!
Let me share with you my plan. I am slowly piecing things together for my subwoofer project. I should note for others that this is for a Lariat Trim with the B&O system.
  1. I do not believe a Zen2 is needed. What you need is a device that can grab the subwoofer signal from the factory amp and process it for the new amp. I went with an ACM-1.300 because it should be able to process the factory audio and has a built in amplifier.
  2. From what I read the problem is the factory roll-off with the B&O system. From what I understand it is so you have less of a chance of blowing a speaker. A device like my amp above or even an LC2i should fix that issue. With the LC2i, you could use any amp you want.
  3. I went ahead an disabled the fake engine noise via forscan. This is something all rangers have. Not just the lariat trim. The only thing I am worried about is if any of the door chimes or other noise will come through the subwoofer.
  4. I got an aussie under seat box from a fellow member here. JL Audio sells one with a woofer right out of the box. There is a member here that has one for sale on the marketplace right now.
  5. One of the key pieces to my project is this factory harness adapter from PlugNPlayKits. It plugs directly into the factory amp and provides a signal line for your processor. They even sell the info mentioned in #1 and #2 if you wanted to get it all from one place.

I am hoping to get my install done sometime before the end of spring. The only things I need to get for my project is an 8ga wire kit and the ACR-1 dash remote knob.