ARB Base platform

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I did a search and didn't find any posts about this product.

Considering the range of prices on various roof platforms, I imagine this ARB one would be at or near the top, but I'm curious if anyone has bought/installed one on a Ranger, since it appears they have a Ranger fit. Notably because I haven't been able to find a price (I imagine this is because it varies depending on the install).

ARB BASE RACK (arbusa.com)

I've been considering a roof platform for mine because I want to extend support over the cab and I am not a fan of crossbars on truck cabs. Plus the platform gives a little extra versatility.

Any reasons (other than price) that you might choose one of the alternatives on the market (Prinsu, Yakima, Rhino Rack, etc)? Any thoughts on t-slots (most common on other brands) vs. ARB's proprietary attachments (other than the fact that they're proprietary)?
Sponsored

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
Can't comment on personal experience with other racks but I've been eyeing ARB's option as well. I attached a PDF of their offerings for the Ranger and searched on the part number for the 49" x 51" flat base rack without any rails and found a site called Lethal Performance that has it for $864. What I'm interested in is if it requires enlarging the holes on the roof like some other racks because if it doesn't, it'd be the rack I'd prefer. I've yet to see anyone with it.

Attachments

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
ARB makes a great product but it's definitely not your only option for a platform rack. Front Runner makes great quality platform racks (their Slimline II). Prinsu is great but not so much if you're looking for more of a platform style. Rhino also makes a great platform rack called the Pioneer Platform.

I'd say a downside to the ARB rack is the proprietary rack system. You've got to make sure everything works with the ARB rack and that you get all their hardware. It's much easier getting gear to fit with a universal-style T-slot and much less of a headache.

We have a bunch of racks on our site if you want to go over some options. Let me know and I'll send you a PM.

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
ARB makes a great product but it's definitely not your only option for a platform rack. Front Runner makes great quality platform racks (their Slimline II). Prinsu is great but not so much if you're looking for more of a platform style. Rhino also makes a great platform rack called the Pioneer Platform.

I'd say a downside to the ARB rack is the proprietary rack system. You've got to make sure everything works with the ARB rack and that you get all their hardware. It's much easier getting gear to fit with a universal-style T-slot and much less of a headache.

We have a bunch of racks on our site if you want to go over some options. Let me know and I'll send you a PM.
I know about many of the other options. I'm specifically asking about the ARB because I haven't heard much, especially WRT Rangers.

I asked about negatives to the ARB attachments BESIDES the fact that they're proprietary. I get the deal with proprietary parts. And it's not like the platform itself is completely unusable if I choose not to get any of those parts. My primary use of this will be to protect the roof when carrying long stuff like my canoe, lumber, etc.

I'd probably only get a couple attachments if I got any at all, anyway, and I'd most likely remove them entirely when not using them. I like that even though ARB's attachments are proprietary, they're easier to fully remove/install. So are there any functional negatives to these?

Can't comment on personal experience with other racks but I've been eyeing ARB's option as well. I attached a PDF of their offerings for the Ranger and searched on the part number for the 49" x 51" flat base rack without any rails and found a site called Lethal Performance that has it for $864. What I'm interested in is if it requires enlarging the holes on the roof like some other racks because if it doesn't, it'd be the rack I'd prefer. I've yet to see anyone with it.
If so, that price is a lot more competitive than I expected (even though I'm sure that's cheaper than my local offroad shop would quote). Esp given the cost of the fairly similar Rhino Rack Backbone/Pioneer system. And any of these platforms, honestly, I'm going to pay an offroad shop to install it. For something permanent like this, I'm just not going to risk totally screwing it up, or even dealing with a sloppy install. So I need to factor in the cost of that install, too.

CC_The_Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just installed the ARB base rack on my ranger this past weekend. Let me know what questions you have mate and I’ll try to answer!

Also - in case helpful for the question about attachments. This video does a good job of running through the pros of them and how ARB designed the rack so people aren’t shit out of luck with existing accessories they already have.

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I just installed the ARB base rack on my ranger this past weekend. Let me know what questions you have mate and I’ll try to answer!

Also - in case helpful for the question about attachments. This video does a good job of running through the pros of them and how ARB designed the rack so people aren’t shit out of luck with existing accessories they already have.

Did you DIY the install of the Base rack? How did you find the process? Compared to vids of some other similar platform racks like Rhino, Prinsu, etc?

Got any pictures of it on your Ranger?

This rack and the attachments look to be exceptionally well-considered. I like that there are t-slot adapters available for accessories already compatible with those.

CC_The_Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I did do it myself and gave myself a full day to do it as there’s definitely some tricky parts to installing it.

The biggest of which is drilling the holes into the roof (similar process to what Stage 3 show when they did the install video for the rhino rack I think) but you insert rivnuts which the feet of the base ultimately screw into. The other thing that’s more so for your own peace of mind is vacuuming the metal shavings out while you’re also drilling the holes. ARB recommend dropping the whole headliner but I just removed some stuff so I could stick my hands up into it and make sure I was clear of any airbags. Sounds scarier than it is and the vacuum nozzle is great for moving those out the way while you drill.

After that - it’s all pretty smooth sailing for the rest of the install and the build quality of anything ARB is top notch!

Attachments

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
@CC_The_Aussie that looks great.

I have a feeling I probably won't do the install myself. I'm sure I have the skills to do it, but it makes me nervous as hell to drill holes in the roof.

There's a really good offroad shop near me who happens to be an ARB dealer, so that's probably the route I'll go. They occasionally offer coupons that are valid on ARB stuff.

That's pretty much the one I want for my Ranger. Didn't want all the extra rails - just the platform.

CC_The_Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
@CC_The_Aussie that looks great.

I have a feeling I probably won't do the install myself. I'm sure I have the skills to do it, but it makes me nervous as hell to drill holes in the roof.

There's a really good offroad shop near me who happens to be an ARB dealer, so that's probably the route I'll go. They occasionally offer coupons that are valid on ARB stuff.

That's pretty much the one I want for my Ranger. Didn't want all the extra rails - just the platform.
Thanks! I’m really pleased with how it turned out and can’t wait to put the awning on it once the quick release bracket arrives.

Not going to lie - having to drill holes in the roof was intense but ARB gave pretty good info in the instructions about a specific type of step drill to use to minimise any issues. That said if you’ve got a shop that is a dealer for them - that’s a great option!

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
This was the rack I was going to do for my Ranger befor it meet the Ground Beef(pun intended). Looking at the installation instructions from ARB(I got them well before this post) I can say that it became my favorite of all. Just understand that it will take some time to install(nothing wrong with getting a professional to do the install) and the max carrying capacity after installing is only about 125 LBS if I remember correctly(it states the load limit in the instructions). Granted you dont want too much on the roof if you can help it.

OP
OP
mtbikernate

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
This was the rack I was going to do for my Ranger befor it meet the Ground Beef(pun intended). Looking at the installation instructions from ARB(I got them well before this post) I can say that it became my favorite of all. Just understand that it will take some time to install(nothing wrong with getting a professional to do the install) and the max carrying capacity after installing is only about 125 LBS if I remember correctly(it states the load limit in the instructions). Granted you dont want too much on the roof if you can help it.
Yeah, primary purpose for me of a platform is going to be to extend support from the bed rack over the cab for long loads like my canoe and lumber (and protect the roof), with the bed rack taking the bulk of the weight. And maybe occasionally carrying some other items on its own to help organize things, but not a primary load carrier.
Sponsored