Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Was going to put a few muted American Flags on my truck right below the side vents. Was told by a neighbor that indicates former military (I'm not former mil, just patriotic) and that it would be "theft of honor."

Theft of Honor is definitely not my goal and neither is passing myself off as mil / ex-mil.

Is that really a thing? Only Military or Ex-Military should use the muted flag? I'm pretty sure it's covered by the first amendment but also not looking to ruffle any feathers - especially of those who served.
Oh shame on me for being patriotic...
zzaccgl-jpg.jpg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The flag is properly displayed with the stars upper left. Upper right is used on uniforms.
Upper right is for my passenger side LOL...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Commie libtards serve and protect this country too, lest you forget in your deep see of cognitive dissonance.

OP,
Maybe he served and/or lost friends or family that did. To many the muted flag represents sorrow from the loss of life in the line of duty, military or civil. While not technically stolen honor, to him representing yourself as having fallen loved ones that served if that isn’t the case may be something that he sees as disrespectful to those who have.

Buy him a beer, ask him more about it.
Yup...like this retard...more like subvert this country...good thing this dip outed himself before he could do any damage..
atriotpost.us%2Fimages%2F2017-09-27-591aea5f_large.jpg

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
By the authority invested in me as a 34 year US Army retiree, I hereby authorize you to "Lickum and Stickum"

Mpro2

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger xlt
I'm considering getting these blacked out flag letters for my white xlt. Would that be offensive?
I was planning on doing the very same lettering with my white xlt..... Even thought about the red, white and blue ones, but may a bit too much?! Wouldn't want to "offend" anybody! Lol!

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
You know what, I could care less if you guys argue about etiquette till your blue in the face. What I love the most, is that people actually care enough to argue about it. I feel honored to be around fellow patriots now and days. I really wish I could have served longer than I was allowed. :flag:

For a soldier, etiquette is law. For a civ, just being a patriot and not afraid to show it, is just as important IMO.

banerjek

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
One of the advantages of living in a free country is you express yourself as you wish. Anyone who tells you how to be free is full of it.

I lived in the Soviet Union back in the day. What draws trouble here nowadays is much less different from that than people like to believe.

We're not supposed to have a class system where military is better than everyone else -- that's almost what a military dictatorship is by definition. And a DOD paycheck is not the same as having made extreme sacrifices many have made.

Since honor tends to be called into question for any who raise concerns, I also served back in the day.

Fly a flag, don't, or do whatever. It's your call. If you do it in good faith, you can safely dismiss any who object.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
One of the advantages of living in a free country is you express yourself as you wish. Anyone who tells you how to be free is full of it.

I lived in the Soviet Union back in the day. What draws trouble here nowadays is much less different from that than people like to believe.

We're not supposed to have a class system where military is better than everyone else -- that's almost what a military dictatorship is by definition. And a DOD paycheck is not the same as having made extreme sacrifices many have made.

Since honor tends to be called into question for any who raise concerns, I also served back in the day.

Fly a flag, don't, or do whatever. It's your call. If you do it in good faith, you can safely dismiss any who object.
Well said sir!

On a side note, your avatar looks as though you do still live in the Soviet Union!

I spent one winter/spring season with family in Salt Lake City years ago, matter of fact it was the first time I had seen snow ever. I loved it for the first week or so, after that the novelty quickly wore off.

Glad we don't have that stuff here on Oahu, but we do periodically have weather anomalies, back in '07 it literally rained for 40 days and forty nights.

The tourists were bummed...

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
The flag is properly displayed with the stars upper left. Upper right is used on uniforms.
The stars lead the charge.
The main direction of a vehicle is forward, mount the stars orientated forward, and on top.
Same goes for uniforms depending on the sleeve in which it is worn (Stars always lead the charge).
Easy way to think of it is how the stars orient into the wind. (20 years Navy - Vet)

Last edited:

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
No, it doesn't. The uniform patch thing is an invention of the post-vietnam army. I dare you to find a veteran of the 82nd or 101st that jumped into Europe and tell them that the normal US flag they proudly wore on their right shoulder was "wrong" and they were actually indicating to the nazis that they were in retreat.
I mentioned two sources: flag code and army regs.

This site sums it up for army reg 670-1

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/why-is-the-u-s-flag-worn-backwards-on-army-uniforms-3357002

One side is worn opposite.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
I mentioned two sources: flag code and army regs.

This site sums it up for army reg 670-1

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/why-is-the-u-s-flag-worn-backwards-on-army-uniforms-3357002

One side is worn opposite.

Stars are still forward! The Army changed the term from facing forward to Assaulting forward! Read the entire article.

"One of the flags will, therefore, be reversed (right shoulder) in order to adhere to the regulation and custom of having the stars facing forward. The term, “Assaulting Forward” has been adopted by combat troops (instead of "facing forward"). "

In all actuality the proper display the flag should be Red, White, and Blue unless is combat...
But if you want muted, I would still respect the use. Heck the fag is flown an half mast for almost everything now. (I am surprised that it ia not at half mast because President Trump declared a National Emergency Yesterday)

Updates to the Army Uniform Flag Rule
In 2003 the uniform regulation for the Army was updated. Army Regulation 670-1, “Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia,” addresses explicitly the proper and lawful placement of the U.S. flag patch on the Army uniform.

The regulation states that the stars are to face forward. When authorized for application to the proper uniform the American flag patch is to be worn, right or left shoulder. One of the flags will, therefore, be reversed (right shoulder) in order to adhere to the regulation and custom of having the stars facing forward. The term, “Assaulting Forward” has been adopted by combat troops (instead of "facing forward").

The appropriate flag (color or subdued) for the right shoulder sleeve is identified as the reverse side flag.

Last edited:

HighCaliberMitch

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLTSC FX4/Sport
It looks like we all agree... The stars face forward and that's it.

Another way to look at it is that the left side is the correct way a flag is shown when hung.

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
Early member of the PGR since I was in NJ... now in TN... so hey brother!
It was then the arguments ensued till we got confirmation of the proper way.
The American Legion helped a lot.
Hey Brother! I have been a member since 2008. I live close (about 15 minutes) to the South Carolina border so we share a lot of missions.

It was an Alabama member who got me started. Great friend and I thank him for getting me in the PGR. I was born and raised Army,(born at Fort Gordon, GA.) but never joined. I was too thickheaded! Father and Mother were both Army (mom was a WAC for 4 yrs) and 1 brother who was Air Force (24yrs) and also CIA. Other family members are veterans.

Even though I have never served, I am not treated differently in the PGR. They respect me as I respect them. It is the one organization that I belong to. They understand that life gets in the way sometimes and are happy to see you when you can make a mission. I try to promote the PGR as much as possible.
Sponsored