Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm considering a more aggressive tread pattern for the drive tires. I currently have the stock Bridgestone Dueler H/T all season tires and they seem to be fine so far. I primarily stick to the pavement but will occasionally venture in light off road to get somewhere, not as a hobby. Anyone have a recommendation for tires that work well in sandy soil, yet still good on pavement? I don't want an aggressive tread that is designed to dig down into mud to find traction, and let's keep air pressure out of this discussion. TIA
Sponsored

Polar Bear

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX2 SuperCrew Rapid Red
Occupation
Medical
Vehicle Showcase
Very interested! 95% pavement, but it’d be nice to have a better tire come deer season.

FL.ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Brah.... I like the Nittos

F9CA650F-CE93-4CE2-8F31-68313926910D.jpeg

76448C04-B63C-4418-9151-B7183B02C3BD.jpeg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Without spending an arm and a leg I would go with the Hankook Dynapro ATM. It was the factory tire with my 2016 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner(2wd truck) and for light offroad it did well. The only problem i had(probably my bad luck) is if it saw the shadow of a screw or nail it went flat.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Are you saying you're getting new tires just for the rear and leaving the front as is with the Duelers? Mixing up all seasons and all terrains is pretty dangerous, just fyi. All terrains have less grip on pavement, so if you put them on the rears only you're increasing your risk of spinning out. Please buy 4 new tires if you're looking to upgrade.

Now, as far as tires go, I would recommend getting a light (literally in weight) all terrain tire. Lots of all terrains that do a great job off road are pretty heavy. Examples of these kinds of all terrains include BFG KO2, Nitto Ridge Grapplers, Falken Wildpeak AT3W, General Grabber AT2, etc. All of these are fantastic tires, but you will notice an MPG and ride comfort hit because they're made with much more heavy duty construction. Light all terrain tires can do a pretty good job at getting traction off road, but at the cost of increasing your chances of flats in rocky conditions. On the flip side, they do have much better on-road characteristics including MPG and ride comfort. Examples of these tires include Hankook Dynapro ATM, Cooper Discoverer AT3, General Grabber APT, Continental TerrainContact A/T, etc. I would recommend the Dynapros in your case, they come factory with the FX4 package. I liked the tires a lot when I first got my truck in terms of road noise/comfort, fuel economy, and off road traction. I personally didn't have any punctures when I went off road, but reviews are plagued by punctures, so just be careful where you go.

Clegghorn33

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I put 285/70R17 KO2’s on mine and it not only looks incredibly aggressive but it also handles great off road in my 4x2!

32443202-187A-4E21-B116-8648897FC736.jpeg

4C40B0D1-5D29-4F55-9598-47BEE6A326A1.jpeg

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is do your tire research.

For me, I went with the newer Toyo Open Country AT/III that came out last June. If you are familiar with the Open Country AT/II's, you need to compare them with the AT/III's as they are a very different animal.

Here are mine:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/texas-ranger.279/#lg=1&slide=32

I figured I would hear more road noise with this tire and I was prepared for that, but what I was not prepared for was how quiet these actually are ...not much more noise at all, if any, in comparison to the stock duelers.

Ride feels like I am more connected to the road and handling is better, probably due to the wider stance. The stock duelers weighed in at 38lbs and these weigh 43 lbs, and I have not seen any difference in fuel economy ...still average 22.6mpg and I am loving the ride quality!

I know y'all will ask, so here you go:

~ Toyo Open Country A/T III, 285/60R18, 120S XL
https://www.toyotires.com/product/open-country-at3

~ KMC KM535 GRENADE OR Matte Bronze Wheels, 18x8.5, 35mm offset, 4.75 backspace

I didn't want to do this, but yeah I did have to modify the front intrusion bars. All I did was loosen and remove the outer-most bolt, pushed the bars in as far as possible, and then retightened the inner bolt. I may get the ReadyLIFT bars later https://www.readylift.com/high-clearance-anti-intrusion-beams-ford-ranger-2wd-4wd-2019-2021.html

_Ian_

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
Commercial Real Estate Management
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I could say I have enjoyed my ridge grapplers, but the vibrations I get on the highway make it embarrassing to have people in my truck. They have been traditionally and road force balanced many times at many different shops, I have tried all ranges of tire pressure and the ride is just terrible. Many people seem to love them, so I may have just gotten a junk pair, but I am looking to switch in the near future as well.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
My FX4 is on two wheel drive 99% of the time...that includes off road...
Sponsored