First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
I used K & N filters in my various vehicles over the years being drawn in by the performance hype. In my C6 Corvette I discovered the oil from the filter was being deposited on the engine Oxygen Sensor causing the computer to make fuel adjustments that were not necessary and potentially detrimental. This all was discovered by a GM engineer brought in by the dealership. No more K & N filters for me!
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I used K & N filters in my various vehicles over the years being drawn in by the performance hype. In my C6 Corvette I discovered the oil from the filter was being deposited on the engine Oxygen Sensor causing the computer to make fuel adjustments that were not necessary and potentially detrimental. This all was discovered by a GM engineer brought in by the dealership. No more K & N filters for me!
Hi Robert,

Motorcraft was designed for and Ranger testing was done with Motorcraft filters....why change a winning game.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
Hi Phil,
Engineering, especially in larger companies, usually have the talent and budget to do proper R & D on their product. It would be appropriate to use the product they recommend, but it seems human nature is to try to improve on those recommendations.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Went with an AFE drop in. I knock it out every 5k and clean it every 20k. I have put over 500k miles on their filters and the intake tube has always been clean. Even on diesels pushing 60psi.

I only use it because I'm cheap and keep my trucks forever. Beats buying a new one every 20k or more. Plus knocking it against the tire gets it pretty clean verses actually cleaning it.
Sponsored