Aftermarket TPS Sensors- Anyone tried any?

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4X4 Ingot Silver
Looking to build up another set of wheels and tires for my Ranger and wonder if anyone has purchased any of the aftermarket TPS sensors listed on eBay? I have bought aftermarket TPS sensors before for other vehicles and had good luck. Just thought I would see which ones people have bought if any? Here is an example of one of the many listed on eBay. 4X HC3T-1A180-AB New Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS For Ford Fusion Lincoln | eBay

Thx G.B.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had originally searched on the forum for threads on TPMS and didnt find much. I have continued to search and have found some usful threads on this topic. So instead of ordering the cheap eBay TPMS I wound up order these Motorcraft ones off of Amazon. I also ordered the this relearn/reset tool. So we will see how these all work. G.B.

Amazon.com: Motorcraft TPMS42 Tpms Sensor Kit, 1 Pack: Automotive
Amazon.com: JDIAG TPMS Sensor Tool, TPMS Relearn Tool for Ford Auto TPMS Reset Sensor Programming Training Tools Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS-19 / 8C2Z-1A203-A): Automotive

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
I don't know about those particular ones, but I ordered some for my dad through tire rack (silverado 2500) and his have worked fine. You shouldn't need the reset tool. They should sync automatically. I've put wheels and tires with aftermarket sensors on both my ranger and 18 mustang. Both synced automatically.

OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know about those particular ones, but I ordered some for my dad through tire rack (silverado 2500) and his have worked fine. You shouldn't need the reset tool. They should sync automatically. I've put wheels and tires with aftermarket sensors on both my ranger and 18 mustang. Both synced automatically.
Yeah IDK? The tool was only $15 and if I don't need it I can always return it to Amazon.

I bought these TPMS for a set of winter wheels I am assembling. I picked up a complete set of steel 16" wheels with the factory lug nuts off of a 2020' Ranger with 400 miles on them for $100! I think I am going go with a set of Cooper Discoverer M&S winter tires in size 265/75R16. Every since I have seen the new Bronco with the off road trim levels using steel wheels, I have kind of been digging the look. That and I want to try a taller tire too. So this wheel and tire package will get me into trying the look for minimal $. If I love it, I may replace the winter tires with some all season AT tires and sell my 17" chrome package aluminum wheels? We will see. Thx, G.B.

JAKE2.3

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX, 2018 Mustang Ecoboost
Occupation
Appraiser
Yeah IDK? The tool was only $15 and if I don't need it I can always return it to Amazon.

I bought these TPMS for a set of winter wheels I am assembling. I picked up a complete set of steel 16" wheels with the factory lug nuts off of a 2020' Ranger with 400 miles on them for $100! I think I am going go with a set of Cooper Discoverer M&S winter tires in size 265/75R16. Every since I have seen the new Bronco with the off road trim levels using steel wheels, I have kind of been digging the look. That and I want to try a taller tire too. So this wheel and tire package will get me into trying the look for minimal $. If I love it, I may replace the winter tires with some all season AT tires and sell my 17" chrome package aluminum wheels? We will see. Thx, G.B.
That sounds like a solid deal! And yeah for $15, you're not out much if you don't need it. That minimal bronco look has me pondering too, although the Mrs. is not nearly as curious as I am. :crackup:

OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL, I bet you got an eye roll like I did. G.B.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Rinn69 for posting that TPMS web site link. I have not seen that one and I like their pricing. They are about what I paid on Amazon for the Motorcraft ones I ordered. I booked marked that page incase the TPMS i ordered don't work out or if I need more for another vehicle. Thx. G.B.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I tried these for my aftermarket wheels and my buddy's shop attempted to program them with no luck. The seller refunded my money and said to keep the sensors. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H2977YY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have been using these sensors since March and they have been perfect: (sorry the eBay link is gone) 4pcs New Ford Motorcraft TPMS Tire Pressure Monitor Sensor TPMS42 HC3Z-1A189-A from seller autopartus. The set of 4 was $69.69 plus tax.

I had to use this programming tool to program the sensors, and it worked great:
Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 2.04.21 PM.png

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Does a spare tire TPMS need to be programmed when mounted ?

Or later when first put into use ?

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Does a spare tire TPMS need to be programmed when mounted ?

Or later when first put into use ?
Bigger question: does the spare tire from the factory even have a TPMS sensor installed?

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Bigger question: does the spare tire from the factory even have a TPMS sensor installed?
Pic below... Manual states "Each road tire..."

My question above was about when adding a fifth TPMS to the spare. I'm replacing the OEM spare with a proper matching wheel/tire spare with TPMS..

Image 1069.png

OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool treimche, I wish I would have seen those. Thx.

OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Rocks and Radioman, that is a good question. I would doubt the spare has a TPMS but I suppose its possible? G.B.

OP
OP
Gone Blue

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I received the TPMS I ordered off of Amazon today and I am pretty happy. These are new in the Motorcraft packaging, a set of 4 for $80. I have also gone around and around on what tires to install on the Ford 16" Xl wheels? I have been looking at LT235/85R16 and 265/75R16 both winter and All Terrain tires. As I plan on keeping the truck and paying it off early so I can go from a car allowance to a furnished company car with the company I work for, I don't ever see selling the stock 17" aluminum chrome package wheels even if I don't use them from here on out? So with that it made more sense to me to focus on winter tires to see how I like a 31.5" tall tire and if I really like the look with the steel XL wheels. And if I go with a 31.5" winter tire I felt going with the LT235/85R16 made the most sense and a narrower tire should work better in heavy snow than a wider tire. It was killing me that the 235/85R16 Cooper Discoverer M+S winter tires were going to be $150 more for the set than the 265/75R16 size. And then I found a cheaper Taiwan brand winter tire that I decided to go with. I hope I don't regret it but this will give me the look and I hope similar winter performance I am looking for and cost $100 less than the Cooper LT235/85R16. I ordered a set of Milestar Patagonia A/T W tires from Walmart. So we will see. G.B.

Patagonia A/T W - Milestar Tires

TPMS.JPG

Wheels.JPG
Sponsored