Aftermarket running board warning

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
This truck has seen salt twice. First time I was able to wash the truck a day or 2 after the storm. This second time was a week due to the temps. Boards had 0 signs of rust until this last storm. Only the drivers side one is like this, passenger is fine. I didn't expect them to last forever but the first time it sat more than a day or two with salt. Pretty disappointing. These are the Steelcraft boards. This is the warranty, lets hope they honor it.

Black Powder Coat Warranty

Steelcraft guarantees the original purchaser a LIMITED 3-YEAR WARRANTY from the date of purchase against manufacturer defects in materials, workmanship and finish under normal use. This excludes damage resulting from road hazards, debris, product misuse, improper installation, impairments from accidents, neglect or product modification. This warranty applies only to new products and is limited to the repair or replacement of Steelcraft products. Warranty does not include cost of removal, installation, labor, inconvenience, or consequential damage.

driverfrt.jpg

driverrear.jpg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
This truck has seen salt twice. First time I was able to wash the truck a day or 2 after the storm. This second time was a week due to the temps. Boards had 0 signs of rust until this last storm. Only the drivers side one is like this, passenger is fine. I didn't expect them to last forever but the first time it sat more than a day or two with salt. Pretty disappointing. These are the Steelcraft boards. This is the warranty, lets hope they honor it.

Black Powder Coat Warranty

Steelcraft guarantees the original purchaser a LIMITED 3-YEAR WARRANTY from the date of purchase against manufacturer defects in materials, workmanship and finish under normal use. This excludes damage resulting from road hazards, debris, product misuse, improper installation, impairments from accidents, neglect or product modification. This warranty applies only to new products and is limited to the repair or replacement of Steelcraft products. Warranty does not include cost of removal, installation, labor, inconvenience, or consequential damage.

driverfrt.jpg

driverrear.jpg

Hi SS,

This reminds me of the need to inform the forum members of another aspect of Ford's durability testing. Each durability vehicle on a given cycle must drive through a salt bath which is a long trough of salt water about 50 ft long and deep enough to wet the lower rocker panels. The test track tests the salinity every couple days and adjusts it to spec.... A little known fact of life of a Ford durability prototype...

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hi SS,

This reminds me of the need to inform the forum members of another aspect of Ford's durability testing. Each durability vehicle on a given cycle must drive through a salt bath which is a long trough of salt water about 50 ft long and deep enough to wet the lower rocker panels. The test track tests the salinity every couple days and adjusts it to spec.... A little known fact of life of a Ford durability prototype...

Best,
Phil
Thanks Phil. But I will say when I sprayed wax under the vehicle and in the cavities the amount inside the plug areas was almost useless. I was happy to do it the right way.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. But I will say when I sprayed wax under the vehicle and in the cavities the amount inside the plug areas was almost useless. I was happy to do it the right way.
Hi SS,

Depending on the program, some non visible rust is accepted as it projects 150,000 miles of useful life. It is not rust proof, but to retain functionality and esthetic performance. If it is expected that the vehicle looks a if fresh off the assembly line....not going to happen. But examples of the parts of the vehicle where the paint blisters for example are not accepted and are then attributed vendor quality and should be corrected.

Best,
Phil

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Update -

I filled out the warranty claim on CarID where I purchased them, submitted pics and low and behold they shipped me an entire new set. I guess I better open them and confirm they are correct LOL. Anyway this is more than expected. Fully automated and didn't have to whine to anyone, well except all of you :)

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Update -

I filled out the warranty claim on CarID where I purchased them, submitted pics and low and behold they shipped me an entire new set. I guess I better open them and confirm they are correct LOL. Anyway this is more than expected. Fully automated and didn't have to whine to anyone, well except all of you :)
Do you have any confidence the new ones will fare any better?

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
None at all. So I may use the 3M professional undercoating on them and swap mine out and see how they fare. I had that on a section of a frame of a land rover and it was bullet proof. Hey at least if they rot out I have another set that will rot out too so I've double the life of them I guess.

Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
None at all. So I may use the 3M professional undercoating on them and swap mine out and see how they fare. I had that on a section of a frame of a land rover and it was bullet proof. Hey at least if they rot out I have another set that will rot out too so I've double the life of them I guess.
you mentioned using wax in the other post, are you talking wool wax or something else? I have called around and the only rust proofing I have seem to found for vehicles is fluid film, krown, or the shitty rubber kind that causes more issues. There is a couple heavy equipment vendors that use woolwax, but I don't know if they would do regular vehicles. Curious to know what you are using as I'd like something im able to wash without it rinsing off.

OP
OP
ScoobieSnax

ScoobieSnax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
you mentioned using wax in the other post, are you talking wool wax or something else? I have called around and the only rust proofing I have seem to found for vehicles is fluid film, krown, or the shitty rubber kind that causes more issues. There is a couple heavy equipment vendors that use woolwax, but I don't know if they would do regular vehicles. Curious to know what you are using as I'd like something im able to wash without it rinsing off.
https://www.amazon.com/woolwax-Lano...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Sponsored