First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have a 2019 Ford Ranger, Lariat with only 4K miles on it. On a recent trip I experienced severe acceleration of the truck when exiting the Interstate and coming to a stop. The truck was wanting to leap forward (Yes, my foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal). The rear wheels were spinning. I had to move the Tran. Selector from Drive to Neutral to Park to stop it. The Auto-Start-Stop did not shut off the engine. I was in Cruise Control while on the interstate, and I disengaged it with the brake. This problem occurred two more times that trip, again exiting the interstate with cruise control on. The next day, I took the vehicle to the Ford dealer. They were not able to duplicate the problem but changed the brake lamp switch as a guess. We got home from our trip with no other problems but I did not use Cruise Control the rest of the trip. I am scared to death to turn it on.

Anyone ever have this issue? Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
"This problem occurred two more times that trip, again exiting the interstate with cruise control on...."
Do you mean two more times in a row or random occurrences over several times? Hopefully the new brake light switch has fixed it. ASS will not shut off the engine while the gears elector is in Park, Reverse or Neutral. Will it disengage using the Cancel button on the steering wheel?

OP
OP

JoeD

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
"This problem occurred two more times that trip, again exiting the interstate with cruise control on...."
Do you mean two more times in a row or random occurrences over several times? Hopefully the new brake light switch has fixed it. ASS will not shut off the engine while the gears elector is in Park, Reverse or Neutral. Will it disengage using the Cancel button on the steering wheel?
As I recall it was a random occurrence over several times. Yes I believe it will disengage with the cancel button. With my other vehicle and previous truck, I always disengaged the CC with the brake and never had any issues.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hopefully the switch replacement does it. In the past I used the brake to disengage the cruise on the interstate, too.

I don't use cruise much in my ranger. I don't drive interstates very much where I live, and when I do, the traffic is often stupid with very sudden slowdowns from ppl on mountain climbs, construction traffic, or unexplained situations. Cruise just hasn't been worthwhile to use at this point (I have an XLT, and no adaptive cruise).

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Hopefully the switch replacement does it. In the past I used the brake to disengage the cruise on the interstate, too
As I recall it was a random occurrence over several times. Yes I believe it will disengage with the cancel button. With my other vehicle and previous truck, I always disengaged the CC with the brake and never had any issues.
That narrows it down. I also think it was a faulty brake switch, as the Cancel button disengages it.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
i know you say your foot was on the brake and not the gas pedal, but whats the chances you were on both?
how big are your feet and where you wearing boots or shoes.

I only ask for clarification because some have commented on the pedals in the past.

if there is any chance you were manipulating both, you should verify that and release the fear of those who think their going to rocket through an intersection because their cruise control isnt operating correctly.

theres so many things that need to go wrong with the cruise control to fit the description of the scenario you played out. this isn't a one switch fault....
I second that. I've had that happen myself. I'm much more conscious of moving my foot to the brake now. I guess an indicator of that happening to the OP is if when moving the tranny to neutral or park if the engine revved possibly indicating the foot was on the gas.

OP
OP

JoeD

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I had sneakers on. When it happened the additional two times that day , my wife confirmed that my right foot was on the brake and not on the gas. That question came up the first time it happened that day.
If it was a foot control problem , I am sure it would have happened many times before last week. Last week was the first time I have been on a trip in over a year and activated Cruise Control. Local driving doesn't require it.
In my mind right now, cruise control is the culprit. The next nice day I and a friend will take it out on the Interstate and try to duplicate the problem before going back to Ford.
Hopefully it was the brake switch, and if it was, that is a single point failure in a Catastrophic situation. Not Good.

OP
OP

JoeD

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I had sneakers on. When it happened the additional two times that day , my wife confirmed that my right foot was on the brake and not on the gas. That question came up the first time it happened that day.
If it was a foot control problem , I am sure it would have happened many times before last week. Last week was the first time I have been on a trip in over a year and activated Cruise Control. Local driving doesn't require it.
In my mind right now, cruise control is the culprit. The next nice day I and a friend will take it out on the Interstate and try to duplicate the problem before going back to Ford.
Hopefully it was the brake switch, and if it was, that is a single point failure in a Catastrophic situation. Not Good.

OP
OP

JoeD

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
This is JoeD again. Sorry I didn't get back to give an update. Last week I and son-in-law, who has a fairly new F-150 took the Ranger out on the highway and tried at least 6 times to try and get the problem to re-occur. It didn't, so I think I have to say the problem may have been fixed with the replacement of the brake switch. I have no doubt it was tied to the cruise control. I will bring the issue up to my local Ford dealer and let him know what I had experienced. I will also let Ford know and suggest that they do a safety analysis to see if a single point failure in that Cruise Control mode can possibly cause a catastrophic situation like I experienced.
Guys, thanks for your input.
Sponsored