First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I'm not certain, but I think it was a dealer thing. It was itemized separately from the $3000 manufacturers rebates.
Sponsored

OP
OP
renewedcaper

renewedcaper

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat
One thing I’d like to clarify since there seems to be a lot of people concerned about how much the trade is worth at the dealer. They gave me $12k for my 2015 Escape, which brought the purchase price down on the Ranger. I then filled out paperwork to buy the Escape for $12k, which I had to pay taxes and title fees on. I am only out of the title on the Escape for the next 6 weeks and $250 in fees.

The dealer sold two cars and made a little money on the title fees. I saved $3750 - $250 in fees on the purchase. The taxes are a wash since the Ranger price was decreased by the same amount as the purchase of the Escape.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Where do you see this info? Link?

I sold my car to Carvana. They gave me $6k more than what I would have been offered on a trade. So, even if this turns out to be true, I would have been over $2k worse off.
Didn't see your post before I posted a similar experience with Carvana. They are paying some absolutely stupid prices for preowned cars, and the sale experience is very much painless.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
One thing I’d like to clarify since there seems to be a lot of people concerned about how much the trade is worth at the dealer. They gave me $12k for my 2015 Escape, which brought the purchase price down on the Ranger. I then filled out paperwork to buy the Escape for $12k, which I had to pay taxes and title fees on. I am only out of the title on the Escape for the next 6 weeks and $250 in fees.

The dealer sold two cars and made a little money on the title fees. I saved $3750 - $250 in fees on the purchase. The taxes are a wash since the Ranger price was decreased by the same amount as the purchase of the Escape.
That's certainly worth it. Seems yours was a manufacturer incentive, where the one I posted about was a dealer incentive.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
That's certainly worth it. Seems yours was a manufacturer incentive, where the one I posted about was a dealer incentive.
I don't think it's a manufacture incentive, or we would be able to see it listed on Ford's website. It seems like a dealer thing to me.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
I don't think it's a manufacture incentive, or we would be able to see it listed on Ford's website. It seems like a dealer thing to me.
I agree, but then the dealer didn't get anything out of it except a little from the tags and title fee, and maybe having another sale on the books. Doesn't seem like it was worth it for them, but not sure how that all works.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.
Red flags all over this offer. Why on earth would a dealer go through all that hassle ? They could simply discount that truck by the amount and sell it. Makes no sense to do title work. Once you sign your car over they own it, they can sell it back to you at any price they want. The fact you would ask us for our opinions means deep down you know this is shady. Going back to the days of the “four square” sales technique. Four moving parts manipulated to confuse the buyer. Price, trade, interest rate, down payment. Batten down one corner, the other pops up. I would get offers from other dealers as well.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
System Admin
Red flags all over this offer. Why on earth would a dealer go through all that hassle ? They could simply discount that truck by the amount and sell it. Makes no sense to do title work. Once you sign your car over they own it, they can sell it back to you at any price they want. The fact you would ask us for our opinions means deep down you know this is shady. Going back to the days of the “four square” sales technique. Four moving parts manipulated to confuse the buyer. Price, trade, interest rate, down payment. Batten down one corner, the other pops up. I would get offers from other dealers as well.
Yeah. I don't want to veer off on a tangent here, but purchasing a vehicle should be done one step at a time. Make the deal on the car. Don't talk about trade in, or payment price or loan price, or anything else. Nail down the price out the door on the car. Then, get a price on the trade. Don't even be there during the inspection. Let them give you a price and either accept it or don't. Then go on to financing. And be aware, the rate they offer is very likely not what they are getting from the bank, so buyer beware.

NeptuneRanger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Insurance Agency Owner AZ, CA, CO and WA.

Sorry I didn’t see this before my post. Glad it worked out ! Still a head scratcher, from the dealer perspective. They might be trying to hit a unit sales target and did this to inflate their numbers, just a guess.
Sponsored